Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Changing the Redskins' Name

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Changing the Redskins' Name

It is inevitable now. The Washington Redskins will not keep their name much longer. Sure the term “Redskins” is offensive to literally one Native American tribe, one whole tribe, but we live in the age of “No one can be offended”. Senator, and part-time soul rapist, Harry Reid could wait to drag his Basset Hound of a face in front of the cameras during the initial moments of the Donald Sterling controversy to demand the NFL change the Redskins’ name. As that miserable douche face doesn’t tend to let things go, this issue is sure to find its way into the twat of Nancy Pelosi who will then spread her infection across the country demanding this “insensitive” name be changed. It doesn’t matter if you think it’s BS, this is going to happen.

There are other ideas, such as this petition to the White House (https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...otato/W7gWmb2m) which suggests keeping the name, but changing the mascot to a red potato, thus removing the “racist” moniker from the Redskins name. It’s a nice compromise, but it also suggests a sense of humor and that can definitely not be tolerated. Where does it end though? What’s the next “offensive” team name? Perhaps the Cowboys? After all, George W. Bush was often referred to as a “Cowboy” and per Kanye West he “Hates Black people”. What goes after that? The 49ers represent miners during the gold rush that committed violent act upon Chinese immigrants, the Buccaneers and Raiders propagate piracy, the term “Dolphin” is often used as a metaphorical stand-in for “penis”, and the Jaguars are offensive to everyone who hates losers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    As sucky as the Redskins are, they should change their name to the "Washington Congressionals".
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    What if they changed the name to the Fighting Whites and the mascot was a 1950's era white male in a business suit with a brief case?

How many people would be offended by that?
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    What if they changed the name to the Fighting Whites and the mascot was a 1950's era white male in a business suit with a brief case?

No one. That would just be stupid.

Actually I take that back. With a team name like the Fighting Whites some groups would be offended but not the ones you are intimating.

BTW: While I personally think it is mostly inflated indignity driven by an attempt to garner publicity I would agree that it is probably time to throw in the hat and change the name.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Not too many white people, I'm sure.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I think we could take lessons from conservatives, and simply "hint" at it just enough to allow for plausible deniability. And then when someone calls it "racist," we can simply tell them that they're "playing the race card" and we all move on with our lives.

How do we do that?

Simple... the Redskins keep their name, but they ditch the the current helmet and go back to the spear helmet:

Oh, it's racist? How do you know we're referring to Native Americans? Spears have existed on EVERY continent! I mean, come on, why do you have to make it about race? :-D
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

We would prefer "Fighting WASPs", then you can use the insect as a logo and no one would know... Just like Hooters using an Owl. No one is the wiser...
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    I think we could take lessons from conservatives, and simply "hint" at it just enough to allow for plausible deniability. And then when someone calls it "racist," we can simply tell them that they're "playing the race card" and we all move on with our lives.

How do we do that?

Simple... the Redskins keep their name, but they ditch the the current helmet and go back to the spear helmet:

Oh, it's racist? How do you know we're referring to Native Americans? Spears have existed on EVERY continent! I mean, come on, why do you have to make it about race? :-D
    I'm going off topic to ask you a question about your avatar, but I think your response could possibly be relevant to the subject of skin tone.

What is your opinion of the character Sergeant Waters, from the movie, A Soldier's Story?

Do you see him as a monster created by segregation and racial discrimination? Clearly, he was a tortured and tragic figure, but I'm curious about your use of him as your avatar.

Great movie, by the way, and it contained a memorable performance by a young Denzel Washington.

I have to wonder what Sergeant Waters would say about the Redskins franchise if he where here today.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'm going off topic to ask you a question about your avatar, but I think your response could possibly be relevant to the subject of skin tone.

What is your opinion of the character Sergeant Waters, from the movie, A Soldier's Story?

Do you see him as a monster created by segregation and racial discrimination? Clearly, he was a tortured and tragic figure, but I'm curious about your use of him as your avatar.

Great movie, by the way, and it contained a memorable performance by a young Denzel Washington.

I have to wonder what Sergeant Waters would say about the Redskins franchise if he where here today.
    I liked Sergeant Waters. He actually had a self-consciousness that's lacking in the black community today. It's my understanding that there were more blacks who thought like him in his day, until the Civil Rights Era and "black unity" killed it.

Personally, I think "black unity" does more harm than good. It's basically a bus from Point A (despair) to Point B (greatness), that refuses to move until everyone gets onboard... while failing to realize that not everyone can, or will, get onboard. Still, the bus continues to wait. Me? I'd rather say, "fuck you, I'm walking then."

I really do think that individualism is what makes whites so much more mobile.

Interesting story: a white female coworker was telling me about a foster child she had. She describe the child's family as being "white trash."

As soon as she said that, I frowned and looked the other way. She apologized.

Was I "offended?" Somewhat, but my reaction was more out of envy. You see, she can say "white trash" around other middle class whites. Not only will no one be bothered, but they'd probably joining in on the "white trash" bashing.

Now, put me in a similar scenario among middle class blacks. Let the words "black trash" or anything to that effect come out of my mouth. I guarantee you, they will each take turns ripping me a new one. That, right there, is a big no-no in the black community. And it's also the reason why Sergeant Waters was portrayed as the villain.

If a white person wants to move forward, they're going to... without giving two shits what other white people are doing.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    I liked Sergeant Waters. He actually had a self-consciousness that's lacking in the black community today. It's my understanding that there were more blacks who thought like him in his day, until the Civil Rights Era and "black unity" killed it.

Personally, I think "black unity" does more harm than good. It's basically a bus from Point A (despair) to Point B (greatness), that refuses to move until everyone gets onboard... while failing to realize that not everyone can, or will, get onboard. Still, the bus continues to wait. Me? I'd rather say, "fuck you, I'm walking then."

I really do think that individualism is what makes whites so much more mobile.

Interesting story: a white female coworker was telling me about a foster child she had. She describe the child's family as being "white trash."

As soon as she said that, I frowned and looked the other way. She apologized.

Was I "offended?" Somewhat, but my reaction was more out of envy. You see, she can say "white trash" around other middle class whites. Not only will no one be bothered, but they'd probably joining in on the "white trash" bashing.

Now, put me in a similar scenario among middle class blacks. Let the words "black trash" or anything to that effect come out of my mouth. I guarantee you, they will each take turns ripping me a new one. That, right there, is a big no-no in the black community. And it's also the reason why Sergeant Waters was portrayed as the villain.

If a white person wants to move forward, they're going to... without giving two shits what other white people are doing.
    Priceless, is that bus analogy one of yours, or did you borrow it?

By the way, numerous conservative voices use the "rugged individualism" argument as what makes America a success story for so many people.

I do agree with your premise of individualism being a critical component to social mobility, pair that up with determination and one is a force to be reckoned with.