Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Political Correctness is Good

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    People in fact ARE forcing Christmas Parties to be called Holiday Parties so not to offend anyone. If someone wants to have a Hanukkah Party, Kwanzaa Party, Ramadan Party, or Festivus Party I say go for it; I would not be offended. So, I say to extend the same level of respect to those that want to celebrate Christmas (be if for the jolly fat man in red or the birth of Jesus).

My X Y scenario was about the press using the term alleged as opposed to accused. The crime is not alleged (it happened), so the suspect is not "alleged" to have committed a crime, he/she is "accused" of committing a crime.
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief_KO View Post
    People in fact ARE forcing Christmas Parties to be called Holiday Parties so not to offend anyone. If someone wants to have a Hanukkah Party, Kwanzaa Party, Ramadan Party, or Festivus Party I say go for it; I would not be offended. So, I say to extend the same level of respect to those that want to celebrate Christmas (be if for the jolly fat man in red or the birth of Jesus).

Preposterous! People are organizing parties and choosing to call them holiday parties. There is no law against having Christmas parties.

If a person wants a Christmas party then they have to get involved with the event; if they encounter opposition, then they have persuade the others involved with the event to call it a Christmas party.
    Last edited by Absinthe Anecdote; 06-16-2014 at 11:50 AM.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    Preposterous! People are organizing parties and choosing to call them holiday parties. There is no law against having Christmas parties.

If a person wants a Christmas party then they have to get involved with the event; if they encounter opposition, then they have persuade the others involved with the event to call it a Christmas party.
    What happens when your idea of persuading others is viewed as pushing your religious beliefs onto others?
    I believe Chief is correct and it does happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by retiredAFcivvy View Post
    What happens when your idea of persuading others is viewed as pushing your religious beliefs onto others?
    Chief IS Correct we were told at my base that they're to be referred to as Holiday Parties....some people (Like me) still call them X mas parties but the official term is "Holiday" now.
    Formerly Enigmatic Airman...

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant eNYgma View Post
    Chief IS Correct we were told at my base that they're to be referred to as Holiday Parties....some people (Like me) still call them X mas parties but the official term is "Holiday" now.
    How 'bout this. How 'bout those who want a Christmas Party organize a Christmas party. I always hear people say that they have no problems with organizing parties for their religious holiday. Do the same for a Christmas Party.

The reason they have changed it is because it is the "official" party organized by the Squadron, booster club, etc. Prizes are purchased with money contributed by everyone. Food is bought with money contributed by everyone. I'm sure there is no problem with a separate party being organized by those Christians who feel the need to have a "traditional" party.

Just avoid advertising it over official government Email. Those things are annoying to those who don't believe the way you do.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    That is when one doubles down on their persuasion techniques and explains that it is a secular party, but that it is a good idea to keep the party named a Christmas party as an acknowledgement and celebration of an American cultural event.

One might have to skillfully appeal to the emotions of the Holiday party proponents by politely explaining that shelving the Christmas name is culturally insensitive to many members of the organization.

What one doesn't do, is get whiny and pouty about it, and start talking about "PC nonsense" in an inflammatory manner.

Offer to write a skit that acknowledges and pays tribute to all of the cultural-religious traditions that are observed during the holiday season.

Point out that the Federal holiday that we get the day off for is actually called Christmas.

Admittedly, one will have to be a gifted and talented speaker, but so goes life. If a person feels so strongly about such matters as keeping parties named Christmas parties, then they need to learn how to defend them in an articulate and intelligent manner.

Parties are sometimes named Holiday parties.

Are people forced into naming them that?

I would argue that the word "forced" doesn't accurately describe what happens.

During my time in the Air Force, I helped organize many parties, and only once, did I encounter a debate about what to call a party, and that was a Halloween party.

One of the officer's wives wanted to call it an autumn party. There was a tense moment or two, and some eye rolling in the room, but there was a young SSgt in the room who actually out-talked the snooty officer's wife.
    Last edited by Absinthe Anecdote; 06-16-2014 at 04:20 PM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    How 'bout this. How 'bout those who want a Christmas Party organize a Christmas party. I always hear people say that they have no problems with organizing parties for their religious holiday. Do the same for a Christmas Party.

The reason they have changed it is because it is the "official" party organized by the Squadron, booster club, etc. Prizes are purchased with money contributed by everyone. Food is bought with money contributed by everyone. I'm sure there is no problem with a separate party being organized by those Christians who feel the need to have a "traditional" party.

Just avoid advertising it over official government Email. Those things are annoying to those who don't believe the way you do.
    Yet another great idea from SJ!

People only need to "use their words" or be creative, and they can have all the Christmas parties they want.

I still firmly believe that Political Correctness is good, after all, it is just being polite and respectful.

What is wrong with that?
    Last edited by Absinthe Anecdote; 06-16-2014 at 12:10 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    True there is no "Law" against a "Christmas" Party or "Christmas" Tree, but you have to agree there are many in positions of authority (military & civilian) that use (and mandate) the generic "Holiday" so not to offend.
    Question: How many Atheists, Agnostics, Hindus, Moslems, Jews, Buddhists, etc. are so truly "offended" or feel slighted by the US celebration of Christmas as an official government holiday that they refuse to take the day off (if is in their employment benefits) and instead choose another day of their choosing? That would seem like a fair deal to me.
    Yes, the Christmas Party is the official squadron party held during the month of December, much like a picnic (serving meat) is the official squadron party held during the summer. Is that offensive (or insensitive) to vegans? Yes. But just like the majority of folks celebrate the holiday known as Christmas (for either Santa Claus, Jesus or both), the majority of folks like to celebrate summer with grilled meats. But, there is nothing wrong with throwing some veggie kabobs on the grill as well. Other than an invocation or blessing over the food, I do not remember any religious aspect to any Christmas Party. The party is for food, fun & fellowship with your co-workers & their families (sometimes only the spouses/guest).
    For those that disagree, I respect this agreement to disagree.
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    True there is no "Law" against a "Christmas" Party or "Christmas" Tree, but you have to agree there are many in positions of authority (military & civilian) that use (and mandate) the generic "Holiday" so not to offend.
    Question: How many Atheists, Agnostics, Hindus, Moslems, Jews, Buddhists, etc. are so truly "offended" or feel slighted by the US celebration of Christmas as an official government holiday that they refuse to take the day off (if is in their employment benefits) and instead choose another day of their choosing? That would seem like a fair deal to me.
    Yes, the Christmas Party is the official squadron party held during the month of December, much like a picnic (serving meat) is the official squadron party held during the summer. Is that offensive (or insensitive) to vegans? Yes. But just like the majority of folks celebrate the holiday known as Christmas (for either Santa Claus, Jesus or both), the majority of folks like to celebrate summer with grilled meats. But, there is nothing wrong with throwing some veggie kabobs on the grill as well. Other than an invocation or blessing over the food, I do not remember any religious aspect to any Christmas Party. The party is for food, fun & fellowship with your co-workers & their families (sometimes only the spouses/guest).
    I don't think we are that far apart on how we see phenomena of how parties get named.

I'll acknowledge that there are those in positions of authority that mandate the naming of parties.

I would like to point out that even though they are in a position of authority, they aren't "ten feet tall" and that their authority is far from absolute.

If one approaches the matter in an intelligent and calculated manner, they can sway the opinion of almost anyone. Will they sometimes be unsuccessful? Most definitely, but such is life.

However, this thread isn't about Christmas, it is about Political Correctness being a force for good.

If you are polite and respectful, you'll find that you can often accomplish great things.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    So if there is no religious aspect to it then why must it be called a Christmas Party? Seems kind of blasphemic to have a party celebrating the birth of Christ then do nothing to commemmorate that.