Thread: Perry discusses view of Homosexuality

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Perry discusses view of Homosexuality

Okay, so the headlines blared, "Perry Compares Homosexuality to Alcoholism"

The intent, apparently, was to enrage those at his "ignorance" in, perhaps, calling homosexuality a disearse or "something wrong" as alcoholism...blah blah blach.

Ref: http://news.msn.com/us/perry-discuss...ocid=ansnews11

First, I never get the outrage over comparing two things. Comparing is not equating...and yes, you really can compare (and contrast) apples and oranges. Both are of similar size and shape, both are fruits, etc. Likewise you can compare sexual orientation to race, homosexuality to pedophilia, same-sex marriage to polygame and war to sports...it doesn't mean they are the same, or on the same level.

Okay, so Perry compares homosexuality to alcoholism, here is what he actually said,

"whether or not you feel compelled to follow a particular lifestyle or not, you have the ability to decide not to do that. I may have the genetic coding that I'm inclined to be an alcoholic, but I have the desire not to do that, and I look at the homosexual issue the same way."

Now, I suppose a staunch conservative trying to criticize Perry, might write a headline like, "Perry states homosexuality may have a genetic coding, i.e. you are born homosexual." An obvious no-no amongst the conservative christian demo.

So...still not the point. Is he wrong? NO. Of course someone can have the predisposition to alchoholism, but choose not to drink. Likewise, someone could have the predisposition to homosexuality, but choose to remain celibate.

In fact, I have a friend who is a staunch Catholic, and also a non-practicing homosexual...or at least "suffers" from same-sex attrraction, as he puts it. He posts about it on facebook regularly with articles and links. I think he views it much the same way as Perry...this is for whatever reason a temptation that he has...call it a blessing or curse or what-have-you. But, he deals with.

I can't remember if it was him or someone else who said, "The opposite of homosexual is not heterosexual...it is abstinence." Which is kind of a neat way of looking at it...and probably mentally healthier than try to be "cured" into heterosexuality. That is, if you are believing in such a way that homosexuality is a sin, and you have this temptation, the spiritual treatment is not going to make you heterosexual, but can teach you to deal with your temptation and live according to your beliefs.

I yield the floor.
    Last edited by Measure Man; 06-13-2014 at 07:46 PM.