Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Perry discusses view of Homosexuality

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    Alcoholism wasn't the point of his message. Homosexuality was. Nice try.

Saying fucked up things in ways that allow for plausible deniability. A skill that Republicans have, that no one else buys.
    LOL..right...only Republican politicians do this. Come on now, I know you aren't that out of touch.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    LOL..right...only Republican politicians do this. Come on now, I know you aren't that out of touch.
    Well, I've played football before. Out in the backyard when I was a kid. That's basically describes Democrats. Republicans? They're in the NFL with that shit!
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post

So...still not the point. Is he wrong? NO. Of course someone can have the predisposition to alchoholism, but choose not to drink. Likewise, someone could have the predisposition to homosexuality, but choose to remain celibate.

In fact, I have a friend who is a staunch Catholic, and also a non-practicing homosexual...or at least "suffers" from same-sex attrraction, as he puts it.
    Even if it is true that you can choose not to have sex, what the hell does that have to to with why you should choose that route, better yet, why is that any reason to view sexual attraction as something to suffer from?

Does your average heterosexual want to be told, "you suffer from opposite sex attraction, but the good news is, you can choose to be celibate."

WTF?

A person can choose to stop breathing air on to not eat food, so fucking what.

SJ mentioned that this type of discussion always turns religious.

Well, duh!

The reason people think sex is bad is because religion.

If I went to the Middle East and dug up some stone tablet that says God wants you to cut your balls off, are you going to do that?
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    If I went to the Middle East and dug up some stone tablet that says God wants you to cut your balls off, are you going to do that?
    I wouldn't be shocked if they did. I don't have my foreskin because of God.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Even if it is true that you can choose not to have sex, what the hell does that have to to with why you should choose that route, better yet, why is that any reason to view sexual attraction as something to suffer from?
    Some people's religious beliefs tell them, of course. If your's don't that's fine with me.

I think the perspective and tone is different. So, instead of a kid brought up in a religious household has to overcome his feelings of "I am bad, I am not right, I am perverted" he grows up with an understanding of, "Everyone has their cross to bear, this is mine"

Personally, if one is going to maintain their relgious conviction (not saying they should or should not)...but if one is going to, then the later is healthier mental health outlook.

Does your average heterosexual want to be told, "you suffer from opposite sex attraction, but the good news is, you can choose to be celibate."

WTF?
    Well, outside of marriage, I think many Christians struggle with their sexuality, even if it is hetero. The believe that sex outside marriage is sinful and abstain, or try to abstain, etc.

A person can choose to stop breathing air on to not eat food, so fucking what.

SJ mentioned that this type of discussion always turns religious.

Well, duh!

Ok...

Not this guy...I'm not a follower of religion and don't believe sex is sinful...but this post isn't about me, it's about religious people who feel atracted to the same-sex. Yes, one way to resolve that is to give up the religion, and maybe the world would be better off if they did, but I think this is a moderating point of view here.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

You're really embarrassing yourself with these comments.

You already know what Perry was trying to say and you just want to keep trying to assume you know how I treat people.

But, just in case you are half as ignorant as you are pretending to be, I'll paraphrase.

If you are a Christian and feel that it would be a sin to have homosexual sex, don't do it.

Hell, he's not even saying it's wrong to be gay. He's not saying that being gay is a choice. He's just saying that is someone is gay and feels that acting on it would be wrong then don't act on it.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Actually, you probably don't have your foreskin because it's much cleaner and helps to avoid infections.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    You know the good thing? If he didn't publicly say stuff like this the people who disagree with his opinions might screw up and vote for him.
    And while I don't agree with what he said; I can respect the fact that he is willing to so bluntly state what he believes.
    Last edited by Stalwart; 06-14-2014 at 07:48 AM.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    You're really embarrassing yourself with these comments.

You already know what Perry was trying to say and you just want to keep trying to assume you know how I treat people.

But, just in case you are half as ignorant as you are pretending to be, I'll paraphrase.

If you are a Christian and feel that it would be a sin to have homosexual sex, don't do it.

Hell, he's not even saying it's wrong to be gay. He's not saying that being gay is a choice. He's just saying that is someone is gay and feels that acting on it would be wrong then don't act on it.
    Actually Perry is embarrassing himself by making a comparison of homosexuality and alcoholism. The guy is a career politician and you'd think he'd have enough sense to not make statements that can so easily be turned against him.

However, he was speaking to a group of constituents that have a negative view of homosexuality, so he was merely telling a block of voters something they wanted to hear.

You are being an apologist by softening his statement to me, so I can't so easily call the evangelical segment of the Republican Party, "gay haters."
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I would think it is more because of a choice your parent(s) made; at least I hope you weren't old enough to make the choice yourself (and remember it ... whoa.)