Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Back to Iraq?

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Back to Iraq?

How far will this go before we get dragged back over there?

Just wait until ISIS starts attacking Iraqi Kurdish held regions.

Worst case scenario is that it gets so unstable in Iraq, that it sparks a Pan-Kurdish revolution that engulfs Iran, Turkey, and Syria in a regional conflict.

That isn't as far-fetched as some might think, the Kurds want independence, and if the al-Maliki government in Iraq falls, the Iraqi Kurds will fight for independence.

Insurgents seize Iraqi city of Mosul as security forces flee

BEIRUT — Insurgents seized control of most of the northern Iraqi city of Mosul on Tuesday in a powerful demonstration of the threat posed by a rapidly expanding extremist army to the fragile stability of Iraq and the wider region.

Fighters with the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS), an al-Qaeda offshoot, overran the western bank of the city overnight after U.S.-trained Iraqi soldiers and police officers abandoned their posts, in some instances discarding their uniforms as they sought to escape the advance of the militants.

Tens of thousands of Iraqi civilians also fled the surprise onslaught, which exposed the inadequacies of Iraq’s security forces, risked aggravating the country’s already fraught sectarian divide and enabled the extremists to capture large quantities of weaponry, much of it American.

The speed with which the security forces lost control of one of Iraq’s biggest cities was striking, and it was a major humiliation for the government of Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki. The city of Fallujah was captured in January by ISIS and other insurgents, but Mosul is a bigger and more important prize, located at a strategically vital intersection on routes linking Iraq to Turkey and Syria.

In Baghdad, Maliki announced a “general mobilization” of the country’s security forces and asked parliament to declare a state of emergency, saying that the government would not allow Mosul to fall “under the shadow of terror and terrorists.”

But the Iraqi security forces have not succeeded in winning back Fallujah, suggesting that it may be even tougher to reclaim Mosul, a city of 1.5 million that was once held out as a success story for the U.S. counterinsurgency effort in Iraq.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...674_story.html
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    You mean toppling governments can cause anarchy? Who would have thought?

If Invasion fails to bring stability to a region, we just haven't invaded them enough, and need to invade them some more.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoDude View Post
    You mean toppling governments can cause anarchy? Who would have thought?

If Invasion fails to bring stability to a region, we just haven't invaded them enough, and need to invade them some more.
    I certainly don't want us going back over there, but we probably will at be back in Iraq at some point.

Plus, if al-Malaki gets desperate enough, and he isn't far from it, you can expect him to turn to Iran for help. If he hasn't already.

What is happening in Iraq right now is very dangerous, it has the potential to ignite a very large conflict. Much larger than Iraq and Afghanistan combined.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    IT'S ALL A CONSPIRACY, DATING BACK TO THE 70'S. THE LATEST STEP WAS FOR US TO DESTABALIZE THE REGION. THE 2003 INVASION HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH A BUSH VENDETTA OR WMD'S...IT WAS JUST ANOTHER STEP. WTIH THE POWER VACUUM CREATED, THE ONLY THING LEFT IS FOR IRAN TO GET INVOLVED. THIS WILL GIVE US THE EXCUSE WE'VE BEEN WAITING 40 YEARS FOR TO DESTROY IRAN!!!

(I wanted to do it in red text and increase the font but I'm just too lazy for that.)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I joke and make light of about 99 percent of the stuff that I post in here.

I wish I could find a humorous aspect to how much of a threat ISIS has just become. It won't be that long before ISIS is the top story on the news every night.

This has a lot of potential to spill outside Iraq and Syria, I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

Expect us to start providing air support soon, let's hope that's enough, but I don't think it will be.

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    I certainly don't want us going back over there, but we probably will at be back in Iraq at some point.

Plus, if al-Malaki gets desperate enough, and he isn't far from it, you can expect him to turn to Iran for help. If he hasn't already.

What is happening in Iraq right now is very dangerous, it has the potential to ignite a very large conflict. Much larger than Iraq and Afghanistan combined.
    It is interesting how the failures of our previous military ventures are used to justify more military ventures.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoDude View Post
    It is interesting how the failures of our previous military ventures are used to justify more military ventures.
    Replace the word interesting with the word obvious and delete the word our, and you have a very accurate statement.

If a conflict wasn't fully resolved, it isn't very surprising that it will flair up again. That transcends any political party, or nation on the planet. It points to human nature.

You can use it as a barb to hurl at your political opponents all you want and it won't stop conflicts from occurring.

I am not advocating an American deployment to Iraq again, but unfortunately I think it will happen.

Even if we had left Saddam in power back in 2003, his regime would have ended some other way, and the sectarian violence would have erupted sooner or later.

One can trace what is happening in Syria and Iraq now, back to the shitty way territorial disputes were resolved following the dissolution of the Ottoman Empire.

Use your witty little quips to jab at Bush, or Obama, or whatever it is you've got the beef with.

I care not to squabble about if America is a greedy imperialist power or not.

Just stating that we most likely have another war coming our way, and possibly a pretty big one.

I'm pretty fucking sad about it too.
    Last edited by Absinthe Anecdote; 06-11-2014 at 07:15 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I wish I could find a humorous aspect to how much of a threat ISIS has just become. It won't be that long before ISIS is the top story on the news every night.
    To quote from a Los Angeles Times article today, "... Al-Qaida has criticized ISIS for being too brutal ..."

Well isn't that just peachy.
    "Every society honors its live conformists and its dead troublemakers."
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    One can trace what is happening in Syria and Iraq now, back to the shitty way territorial disputes were resolved following the dissolution of the Ottoman Empire.
    One can trace what is happening in Syria and Iraq now, back to the ... way territorial disputes were ignored following the dissolution of the Ottoman Empire.

I think that says it more accurately.
    "Every society honors its live conformists and its dead troublemakers."
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Replace the word interesting with the word obvious and delete the word our, and you have a very accurate statement.

If a conflict wasn't fully resolved, it isn't very surprising that it will flair up again. That transcends any political party, or nation on the planet. It points to human nature.

You can use it as a barb to hurl at your political opponents all you want and it won't stop conflicts from occurring.

I am not advocating an American deployment to Iraq again, but unfortunately I think it will happen.

Even if we had left Saddam in power back in 2003, his regime would have ended some other way, and the sectarian violence would have erupted sooner or later.

Use your witty little quips to jab at Bush, or Obama, or whatever it is you've got the beef with.

I care not to squabble about if America is a greedy imperialist power or not.

Just stating that we most likely have another war coming our way, and possibly a pretty big one.

I'm pretty fucking sad about it too.
    Pretty shitty...and what's even more sad is that I think most of us saw it coming. The other sad thing is that it will again be a no win situation, whether we get involved or not.