Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: Back to Iraq?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Alfredo View Post
    These were NOT the WMD the Bush administration were warning about. I seem to remember nukes being invoked. Also, WE helped him get the chems they're talking about in this article, the old, decaying vestiges of the Iran-Iraq war, not some new invigorated program that was a looming threat necessitating our misguided invasion that is still having negative reverberations.
    As I recall there was never an issue between what kind of WMD was found just that we found any at all. Which I have been saying for years now on here that we did find chemical weapons, but no one wanted to hear me out. Some people actually called me a liar. But my buddies and me knew the truth.

Old, and decaying? The insurgents still used them on us and IS is still using them today on people in Iraq and Syria. So why don't you go around and be around them if they are so old and decaying.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    Oh, so these are not the droids we were looking for ?

I knew this would result in some amusing responses. Congrats for being first on board.
    The difference being that those WERE the droids the Storm Troopers were looking for.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CYBERFX1024 View Post
    As I recall there was never an issue between what kind of WMD was found just that we found any at all. Which I have been saying for years now on here that we did find chemical weapons, but no one wanted to hear me out. Some people actually called me a liar. But my buddies and me knew the truth.

Old, and decaying? The insurgents still used them on us and IS is still using them today on people in Iraq and Syria. So why don't you go around and be around them if they are so old and decaying.
    Never called you a liar, but the fact is, the stuff being "discovered" now is not the material the country was warned about and was used as a pretext for war. I never said old and decaying chems aren't or weren't dangerous, either. These sites were known.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Never called you a liar, but the fact is, the stuff being "discovered" now is not the material the country was warned about and was used as a pretext for war. I never said old and decaying chems aren't or weren't dangerous, either. These sites were known.
    But where was the reporting of them? I imagine there were some obscure reports as the old caches were discovered but certainly not the widespread reporting that there were NO WMDs in Iraq. If you conducted a poll that would be the most likely answer because THAT is what people heard.

Then of course there is the leap to 'Bush lied'.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The difference being that those WERE the droids the Storm Troopers were looking for.
    I think you mistyped there Fredo...............old munitions were what the search was for?

But ..."These sites were known".

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I think you mistyped there Fredo...............old munitions were what the search was for?

But ..."These sites were known".
    What I'm saying is people always say "these aren't the droids you're looking for" and mistakenly mean it literally, unlike Obi Wan, who was using a Jedi Mind Trick! These (chems) are NOT the WMDs we were looking for, literally, not JMT-ishly.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    But where was the reporting of them? I imagine there were some obscure reports as the old caches were discovered but certainly not the widespread reporting that there were NO WMDs in Iraq. If you conducted a poll that would be the most likely answer because THAT is what people heard.

Then of course there is the leap to 'Bush lied'.
    I'm pretty sure I read pretty widely about old chem sites, but maybe I'm thinking of "other" reporting...and I don't think I would stretch to the point where I'd say Bush lied. I think he had a case of wishful thinking. His intentions were not really misguided, though his implementation certainly was. He attributed 100% confidence to reporting that was not written that way. Having been an intel dude for 20+ years, it is extremely rare that we definitively, uncategorically state ANYTHING as fact without proof. You can assess, estimate, and throw out a good old-fashioned guess, but never wrote x IS going to happen. It might, it could, it most likely will, but not without validity wording. This ain't Miss Cleo.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    What I'm saying is people always say "these aren't the droids you're looking for" and mistakenly mean it literally, unlike Obi Wan, who was using a Jedi Mind Trick! These (chems) are NOT the WMDs we were looking for, literally, not JMT-ishly.
    Milly gets kidnapped. The cops know for a fact that it was Billy who kidnapped her. They go into Billy's house and are unable to find Milly, but they do find Joanie, who has been missing for years. I guess they were wrong for going into Billy's house because Milly had already been moved.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Milly gets kidnapped. The cops know for a fact that it was Billy who kidnapped her. They go into Billy's house and are unable to find Milly, but they do find Joanie, who has been missing for years. I guess they were wrong for going into Billy's house because Milly had already been moved.
    Do you think finding some old chems we already knew about (from Iran-Iraq war and from the "gassing the Kurds" incident post Gulf War 1) were worth the national treasure, lives, limbs, and blood of our servicemen? My standard for going to war is a bit higher than that.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Ahhh, I see said the blind man.