Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joining the Air Force Reserve

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Joining the Air Force Reserve

Alright, looks like I'm doing it! I got out of the Navy in 2011 after eleven years, gained a shit ton of weight... all the way up to 285. Last time I weighed that was in October, when I stoped driving taxis. I check the scale in December, and saw that I weighed in the low 270's. Happy with what I saw, I decided to take advantage of what was happening... and I got down to 220 by the end of January, and got within body fat standards for the Army. Decided to talk to an Army National Guard recruiter; got the runaround for awhile, and then was told that no unit would waive a charge that I had (one that was unconditionally dismissed).

I was jerked around until the end of February by these fools. By then, I finally got down to 200; and met Navy body fat standards. The only problem was... I had to get all of my documentation for myself and dependants... social security cards, birth certs, etc... took me until early May to finish, and then I was told that... Navy Reserve recruiting got shut down for the remainder of the fiscal year. I finally got down to my current weight of 185, and found that I was good with the Air Force at 202.

So... I contacted the Air Force Reserve recruiter. She gave me the "bad" news... no reserve unit at Langley, so I'd have to go to Dover or Seymour-Johnson. Which is GREAT! I'm FROM Dover!

She also said that me keeping my E6 won't be guaranteed, but losing it is unlikely as long whatever AFSC I pick has an open slot; and even if it doesn't, there are waivers for it. I'm okay with it by now either way; I just want IN.

Anyhow, I thought this worked out great. I only made one phone call to the recruiter, met with her at the office, and then I got scheduled for MEPS that SAME day! I'm going on June 23rd.

I was a PS in the Navy, which is supposed to be equal to 3S0XX - which she said that there are no open slots for.

I'm currently looking at the following:

Aircraft Loadmaster
    Weather
    Traffic Management
    Air Transportation
    Vehicle Maintenance
    Fire Protection
    Services
    Public Affairs/Radio & Broadcasting

Anyone in these fields that can tell me anything about them?
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Good luck and congrats on the weight loss, 100 lbs is a lot of weight to drop.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    congrats on the weight loss!

Decent list of jobs... are you looking to be a traditional reservist or looking for a full time gig?
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrustySMSgt View Post
    congrats on the weight loss!

Decent list of jobs... are you looking to be a traditional reservist or looking for a full time gig?
    Traditional.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    Alright, looks like I'm doing it! I got out of the Navy in 2011 after eleven years, gained a shit ton of weight... all the way up to 285. Last time I weighed that was in October, when I stoped driving taxis. I check the scale in December, and saw that I weighed in the low 270's. Happy with what I saw, I decided to take advantage of what was happening... and I got down to 220 by the end of January, and got within body fat standards for the Army. Decided to talk to an Army National Guard recruiter; got the runaround for awhile, and then was told that no unit would waive a charge that I had (one that was unconditionally dismissed).

I was jerked around until the end of February by these fools. By then, I finally got down to 200; and met Navy body fat standards. The only problem was... I had to get all of my documentation for myself and dependants... social security cards, birth certs, etc... took me until early May to finish, and then I was told that... Navy Reserve recruiting got shut down for the remainder of the fiscal year. I finally got down to my current weight of 185, and found that I was good with the Air Force at 202.

So... I contacted the Air Force Reserve recruiter. She gave me the "bad" news... no reserve unit at Langley, so I'd have to go to Dover or Seymour-Johnson. Which is GREAT! I'm FROM Dover!

She also said that me keeping my E6 won't be guaranteed, but losing it is unlikely as long whatever AFSC I pick has an open slot; and even if it doesn't, there are waivers for it. I'm okay with it by now either way; I just want IN.

Anyhow, I thought this worked out great. I only made one phone call to the recruiter, met with her at the office, and then I got scheduled for MEPS that SAME day! I'm going on June 23rd.

I was a PS in the Navy, which is supposed to be equal to 3S0XX - which she said that there are no open slots for.

Aircraft Loadmaster
    Weather
    Traffic Management
    Air Transportation
    Vehicle Maintenance
    Fire Protection
    Services

Congrats on the weight loss...did you follow any particular plan?

Of those jobs, I would suppose it depends on what you like. For me, I'd go with Loadmaster...you're in the fun Air Force, get to do some travel, close to the REAL AF mission, etc. Probably some deployments in your future though, if you're cool with that.

Personally, I would steer away from Services...there are some good aspects of that job, but also a fairly good chance you'll be a cook, or cook overseer (on contract cooks). But, again that is okay if that's what you like to do.

Vehicle Maintenace...if you like working on cars, of course. Good job and good training...it never hurts to know how to fix cars.

Public Affairs can be a lot of fun, get to see a lot of the missions going on and is interesting training, that believe it or not a lot of outside companies like to have...some one who knows how to talk to the media!

Good luck.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    The Public Affairs tech school is at Fort Meade, MD and only about a three hour ride from Norfolk.

Of the jobs you listed, I'd pick that one.

I'm not sure that you would be eligible for loadmaster, they used to require a background in aircraft maintenance for cross trainees. That might of changed, so be sure to check.

I agree with the poster who said to steer clear of services jobs.
    Last edited by Absinthe Anecdote; 06-10-2014 at 05:52 PM.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Langley has a reserve aerial port Sq, which will have Traffic Management & Air Transportation (and possibly Vehicle Maintenance)

They also have geographically separated units from other bases, so you could possibly get a job with one of them and still work at Langley

https://www.afreserve.com/where-to-s...langley-eustis
    "If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep the streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep the street so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well. "

Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chief Runner Amok of the Troll Cabal

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Aircraft Loadmaster
    Weather
    Traffic Management
    Air Transportation
    Vehicle Maintenance
    Fire Protection
    Services

Not in any of those but deal with people cross training FROM a few of those on a regular basis. Mainly they are coming from anything that's on the flightline.

I guess it depends what you like to do. I know that AF firefighters don't fight too many fires. Services is pretty broad. You can end up working in a chow hall, the gym, billeting, mortuary/morgue...etc.

As far as the others I'd only be going off of perception.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Aircraft Loadmaster
    Weather
    Traffic Management
    Air Transportation
    Vehicle Maintenance
    Fire Protection
    Services

Langley has the VA ANG associated with the 1st Fighter Wing.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS, USAF (ret) View Post
    Langley has the VA ANG associated with the 1st Fighter Wing.
    I actually tried to go ANG first, but was told that there's no possibility of going in higher than E5. No waiver, no nothing.