Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joining the Air Force Reserve

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    I actually tried to go ANG first, but was told that there's no possibility of going in higher than E5. No waiver, no nothing.
    Please don't be one of those prior Navy dudes that walks around saying crap like, "I was just in the head and the deck needs a good swabbing, the bulkheads could stand a coat of paint too. I'll be in the galley if you need me."
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    No worries here. I was that defiant nonconformist asshole who poked fun anyone that DID talk like that.

I'm probably not going to say "latrine" either.

"Shitter" and "pisser" work just fine for me.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    The Public Affairs tech school is at Fort Meade, MD and only about a three hour ride from Norfolk.

Of the jobs you listed, I'd pick that one.

I'm not sure that you would be eligible for loadmaster, they used to require a background in aircraft maintenance for cross trainees. That might of changed, so be sure to check.

I agree with the poster who said to steer clear of services jobs.
    Public Affairs is a blast - it's like getting to see just about every aspect of that service without getting rammed by the green weenie.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    My consult came back, and I'm clear. I'll be drilling out of Dover, and I'll be Air Transportation. I should be swearing in within the next week.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My consult came back, and I'm clear. I'll be drilling out of Dover, and I'll be Air Transportation. I should be swearing in within the next week.
    Great news.

So out of curiosity, what was the weight loss regimen? Simple eat less calories than you burn, running, P90X or something?
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Running, lots of running. Six mile run every other day, and a 12 mile run every weekend. 1200-1600 calories a day, on the high end on running days, low end on non-running days.

Oh, and Metumucil.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Welcome to the Blue...just remember, the grass isn't always greener!!!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Welcome to the Blue...just remember, the grass isn't always greener!!!
    I don't expect it to be. I'm here because Navy Reserve and Army National Guard were dicking the dog and wasting my time for months, when Air Force Reserve was able to get me up to MEPS within a week of first contact with the recruiter.

A Google search on 2T2X1 and reading various discussion forums shows that I'd be considered "flight line," which is supposed to be known for the work that they put in. And I'm fine with that.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I don't expect it to be. I'm here because Navy Reserve and Army National Guard were dicking the dog and wasting my time for months, when Air Force Reserve was able to get me up to MEPS within a week of first contact with the recruiter.

A Google search on 2T2X1 and reading various discussion forums shows that I'd be considered "flight line," which is supposed to be known for the work that they put in. And I'm fine with that.
    Should be good. Be prepared for a lot less discipline than you're used to. It'll probably be a little bit of a shock at first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    2T2 is what I did before I got my commission. I liked working Ramp Services, because you got to work aircraft out on the flight line. Didn't really care for the cargo section, which basically involved building and tearing down pallets, and special handling (HAZMAT, biologicals, money, mail, etc). And you definitely want to stay away from aircraft services, which includes servicing the latrines, schlepping food up and down the stairs, etc. Might want to stay away from passenger services too, because you deal with a lot of prima donnas and assholes in that section. And if it was me, since you're looking at a traditional position, I would've taken the E5 and joined the ANG. The USAFR sucks, I wouldn't give them the sweat off my balls...but that's just me...