Thread: OJ's Wild Ride

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

OJ's Wild Ride

CNN is airing a documentary tomorrow night on the 20th anniversary of the famous slow speed chase.

From the preview that I just saw it looks like it will be worth watching.

At the time, it seemed to me as if public opinion on OJ's guilt or innocence was tied directly to race.

Most white folks thought he was guilty, and most minorities thought he was innocent.

20 years later, I don't think OJ has the support of the black community anymore. It seems that most everyone thinks he did it.

For those of you that remember what a spectacle that trial was, it should be interesting to hear what all the key figures of the case have to say about it 20 years later.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    CNN is airing a documentary tomorrow night on the 20th anniversary of the famous slow speed chase.

At the time, it seemed to me as if public opinion on OJ's guilt or innocence was tied directly to race.

Most white folks thought he was guilty, and most minorities thought he was innocent.

20 years later, I don't think OJ has the support of the black community anymore. It seems that most everyone thinks he did it.

For those of you that remember what a spectacle that trial was, it should be interesting to hear what all the key figures of the case have to say about it 20 years later.
    I was in the dorms when this happened. My roommate at the time was black. He was never convinced of OJs innocence, he just thought that it would be nice to see a black guy get off for killing a rich white woman for a change. I'm not sure how every other black person felt...just him.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm thankful I was stationed in the UK and missed that media circus.
    "Every society honors its live conformists and its dead troublemakers."
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BENDER56 View Post
    I'm thankful I was stationed in the UK and missed that media circus.
    When the slow speed chase happened, I was at an "undisclosed location" and was text chatting with a guy at my home station over a comms system we had with us.

When he asked me if I wanted any updates on OJ Simpson, I had no idea what he was talking about and I replied with a bunch of crap from the Naked Gun movie.

I said, "you mean what happened to him after he was shot, fell into a birthday cake, and then sat in wet paint?"

He said, "no asshole, he killed his wife and is being chased down the freeway by half the LAPD."

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Granted as a white person I can't speak with authority on why people of other races come to the conclusions they do. I can say so with authority about my own motivations. After reading of the evidence against him I thought he was guilty. Not because of his race but because he killed those two people.

I did observe two things during the process.

1. You are half right

2. Some white people I have met are 'blacker' than OJ Simpson.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    Granted as a white person I can't speak with authority on why people of other races come to the conclusions they do. I can say so with authority about my own motivations. After reading of the evidence against him I thought he was guilty. Not because of his race but because he killed those two people.
    I am basing my statements on my observations and conversations with friends and colleagues about the case.

I would say the reasons behind the different opinions of minorities were linked to a general distrust of law enforcement. Plus, a general anger at the LAPD, after the Rodney King incident and the LA riots.

While my statements in the OP are far from authoritative, I do believe they are reasonable. Plus, they were properly qualified as my opinion of how different groups viewed the case.

I did observe two things during the process.

1. You are half right

2. Some white people I have met are 'blacker' than OJ Simpson.
    I think you are tottering on the edge of a deep hole with #2.

Would you care to amplify that comment?

I'd like to see if you fall in the hole or move to a firmer footing.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I am basing my statements on my observations and conversations with friends and colleagues about the case.

I would say the reasons behind the different opinions of minorities were linked to a general distrust of law enforcement. Plus, a general anger at the LAPD, after the Rodney King incident and the LA riots.

While my statements in the OP are far from authoritative, I do believe they are reasonable. Plus, they were properly qualified as my opinion of how different groups viewed the case.

I'd like to see if you fall in the hole or move to a firmer footing.
    I am not sure how the LAPD is at fault for the LA Riots and by those I assume you mean the riots in the aftermath of the acquittals of the cops who beat Rodney King.

I don't doubt for a second that some people believed OJ was guilty because he is black. That is wholly wrong. Equally wrong is believing him innocent for the same reason and there was, without a shred of doubt a lot of that.

#2 was mostly said in jest and is a joke I once heard a black comedian say. Truth is that other the simple fact that OJ is black there is nothing in his background or his life until the trail to assume that there was a conspiracy with the LAPD to convict him because he is black. It is utterly preposterous and without merit. He if you believe that Det Mark Fuhrman is the racist he was portrayed to be there is no way a single man could have orchestrated the vast conspiracy which would have been necessary to frame OJ.

The LAPD of Chief Daryl Gates was a force quick to use force and violence rather than community policing but LA of that time was hardly a peaceful place. There was a lot of positive aspects to his tenure but Gates' biggest fault was a failure to evolve with the times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think it was Cedric the Entertainers' character in Barbershop that said, "OJ did it, and Rodney King deserved to get beat for driving drunk in a Hyundai."

Rodney King was a habitual drunk driver, drug abuser and an abuser of women. He was tasered twice and was still resisting.

It took a Nevada jury to put OJ away, California couldn't convict Hitler if Himler, Hess and Goering were all turned state's witness.
    "Wrong" is one of those concepts that requires witnesses. Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I am not sure how the LAPD is at fault for the LA Riots and by those I assume you mean the riots in the aftermath of the acquittals of the cops who beat Rodney King.

I don't doubt for a second that some people believed OJ was guilty because he is black. That is wholly wrong. Equally wrong is believing him innocent for the same reason and there was, without a shred of doubt a lot of that.

#2 was mostly said in jest and is a joke I once heard a black comedian say. Truth is that other the simple fact that OJ is black there is nothing in his background or his life until the trail to assume that there was a conspiracy with the LAPD to convict him because he is black. It is utterly preposterous and without merit. He if you believe that Det Mark Fuhrman is the racist he was portrayed to be there is no way a single man could have orchestrated the vast conspiracy which would have been necessary to frame OJ.

The LAPD of Chief Daryl Gates was a force quick to use force and violence rather than community policing but LA of that time was hardly a peaceful place. There was a lot of positive aspects to his tenure but Gates' biggest fault was a failure to evolve with the times.
    Read carefully, think, then write thoughtfully...

You should practice what you preach, I never claimed any of that stuff.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Read carefully, think, then write thoughtfully...

You should practice what you preach, I never claimed any of that stuff.
    I always try to 'practice what I preach'.

You made a comment about the LAPD.........I responded.

You asked me to expand on a comment I made..............I did.

…….I would say the reasons behind the different opinions of minorities were linked to a general distrust of law enforcement. Plus, a general anger at the LAPD, after the Rodney King incident and the LA riots……..

What in my post did I attribute to you? You stated that your statements in the OP are far from authoritative, but believed them to be reasonable. I make the same claim of my statements.