Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Results 101 to 106 of 106

Thread: Seattle pass $15 minimum wage

  1. #101
    Senior Member Rainmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    on a Marl Road
    Posts
    3,882
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Exactly. I shared a room with my brother all the way up till i was around 14. I know plenty of other kids who did that and are not diminished cause of 'the experience'. So where are parents getting the idea that a 7-9 yr old needs his or her OWN room from?
    They get the idea from our bought and paid for, one party, big state government that has pushed its consumerist mindset ever since our manufacturing base has been moved to the 3rd world. Media propaganda and 24-7 Mass marketing (Read BRAINWASHING) is very powerful on the developing mind.

    When you don't make anything, the only way left to grow the economy is if the citizens increasingly indebt themselves buying useless shit they don't need.

    The profits are then sent to offshore tax havens (hedge funds owned by globalist corporations) in order to avoid paying taxes and then invested (Read GAMBLED) in the Wall Street Casino to inflate the same globalist corporations stock (with which they pay themselves multi-million bonuses with for driving the economy into the ditch).
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 06-10-2014 at 08:41 PM.

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    I doubt we have to worry about artificial intelligence anytime soon, but the next big divide between the upper and lower class will likely manifest in robotic enhancements to the body and increased lifespans of the rich.

    We probably will not see that in our lifetime, but in 50 to 100 years, the rich will be cyborgs.

    The beautiful people will have robotic enhancements and live exciting and fascinating long lives.

    The poor will live shorter lives, but be well fed, poorly educated, sheltered in free housing, and be placated by cheap drugs, television, and dreams of winning lotteries. Kind of like it is today.
    Took the words right out of my mouth.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    They get the idea from our bought and paid for, one party, big state government that has pushed its consumerist mindset ever since our manufacturing base has been moved to the 3rd world. Media propaganda and 24-7 Mass marketing (Read BRAINWASHING) is very powerful on the developing mind.

    When you don't make anything, the only way left to grow the economy is if the citizens increasingly indebt themselves buying useless shit they don't need.

    The profits are then sent to offshore tax havens (hedge funds owned by globalist corporations) in order to avoid paying taxes and then invested (Read GAMBLED) in the Wall Street Casino to inflate the same globalist corporations stock (with which they pay themselves multi-million bonuses with for driving the economy into the ditch).
    Consumerism is the key tenet of capitalism. Capitalism is all about production and consumption. You can't produce anything if no one is consuming. Essentially its a giant ponzi scheme - for our production to increase over time, people's consumption must also increase - even if its useless bullshit that you don't really need.

    However - the general gist of your argument is correct - while you are not "required" to buy useless bullshit, there is huge social pressure to do so. If people stopped buying useless bullshit, the system would collapse. A good analogy would be war. If there was a draft and everyone refused to fight, obviously that war would be impossible - the government can imprison or execute a handful of draft dodgers - but they are powerless if the population as a whole defies their order.

  3. #103
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, ohio
    Posts
    3,327
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoDude View Post
    However - the general gist of your argument is correct - while you are not "required" to buy useless bullshit, there is huge social pressure to do so.
    Exactly. Its the keep up with the Jones principle.

  4. #104
    Senior Member Rainmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    on a Marl Road
    Posts
    3,882
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoDude View Post
    Took the words right out of my mouth.



    Consumerism is the key tenet of capitalism. Capitalism is all about production and consumption. You can't produce anything if no one is consuming. Essentially its a giant ponzi scheme - for our production to increase over time, people's consumption must also increase - even if its useless bullshit that you don't really need.

    However - the general gist of your argument is correct - while you are not "required" to buy useless bullshit, there is huge social pressure to do so. If people stopped buying useless bullshit, the system would collapse. A good analogy would be war. If there was a draft and everyone refused to fight, obviously that war would be impossible - the government can imprison or execute a handful of draft dodgers - but they are powerless if the population as a whole defies their order.
    Yeah sure. Rainmaker has read the wealth of nations and maybe even taken an economics class or 2 at his local Kommunity Kollege and he even would tend to agree with the basic premise.

    But, we don't have "Capitalism" anymore in this country. What we have is Crony Monopoly Capitalism and there's a big difference.

    When the means of production and all taxable profits are off-shored, our borders under siege by an invasion, the value of labor is continually being suppressed by making our citizens compete against 3rd world slave labor. then the system is not Sustainable, unless it's propped up with debt, Funded by inflation (which they mask by various means.) Our economic problems persist because our corrupt politicians continually allow OUR treasury to be looted, in order to enrich themselves and their owners at the expense of the citizenry.

    http://www.ontheissues.org/celeb/Ros...Free_Trade.htm

    92-96 was our last chance to change the system.

    The NEOCONs (BUSH,CLINTON-CLINTON,BUSH II, OBAMAO, CLINTON-CLINTONII-BUSH III...?) won and that's why shit is the way it is. But, I think our next best chance to fix this cancer may be coming again soon. In the mean time Learn the difference between deficit and debt, Learn the difference between Service economy and Production economy. Prophet ALGore invented the interwebs and gave it to the peoples. We don't have to stay stupid anymore Muhfuggas!!! NomSAYIN?? OVER .
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 06-11-2014 at 03:09 PM.

  5. #105
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Yeah sure. Rainmaker has read the wealth of nations and maybe even taken an economics class or 2 at his local Kommunity Kollege and he even would tend to agree with the basic premise.

    But, we don't have "Capitalism" anymore in this country. What we have is Crony Monopoly Capitalism and there's a big difference.

    When the means of production and all taxable profits are off-shored, our borders under siege by an invasion, the value of labor is continually being suppressed by making our citizens compete against 3rd world slave labor. then the system is not Sustainable, unless it's propped up with debt, Funded by inflation (which they mask by various means.) Our economic problems persist because our corrupt politicians continually allow OUR treasury to be looted, in order to enrich themselves and their owners at the expense of the citizenry.

    http://www.ontheissues.org/celeb/Ros...Free_Trade.htm

    92-96 was our last chance to change the system.

    The NEOCONs (BUSH,CLINTON-CLINTON,BUSH II, OBAMAO, CLINTON-CLINTONII-BUSH III...?) won and that's why shit is the way it is. But, I think our next best chance to fix this cancer may be coming again soon. In the mean time Learn the difference between deficit and debt, Learn the difference between Service economy and Production economy. Prophet ALGore invented the interwebs and gave it to the peoples. We don't have to stay stupid anymore Muhfuggas!!! NomSAYIN?? OVER .
    This is nothing new - Marx identified this as a problem with any capitalist system - just as nations consolidate power and consume smaller nations, businesses do essentially the same thing. Also throw in the mix that any large business will use that nation's power structure to try and gain an advantage. While we can blame the Neocons - and trust me I like them no better than you do - the problem is much older than Bush or Clinton.

  6. #106
    Senior Member Rainmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    on a Marl Road
    Posts
    3,882
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoDude View Post
    This is nothing new - Marx identified this as a problem with any capitalist system - just as nations consolidate power and consume smaller nations, businesses do essentially the same thing. Also throw in the mix that any large business will use that nation's power structure to try and gain an advantage. While we can blame the Neocons - and trust me I like them no better than you do - the problem is much older than Bush or Clinton.
    Agree. and from time to time it has be rooted the fuck out.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •