Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: So the United States is negotiating with terrorists now??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So the United States is negotiating with terrorists now??

Well we've negotiated with the Taliban to secure the release of Bowe Bergdahl, good for him, bad for the future? Is this a good thing or have we opened a Pandora's Box? Will it be safe to travel anywhere as an American overseas? Thoughts?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 70gto View Post
    Well we've negotiated with the Taliban to secure the release of Bowe Bergdahl, good for him, bad for the future? Is this a good thing or have we opened a Pandora's Box? Will it be safe to travel anywhere as an American overseas? Thoughts?
    Not sure how I see a negotiation to release someone has anything to do with whether or not it's safe to travel overseas.

Do I think we should have negotiated? Well, nothing else has been working, so why not give it a try. Can't make them hate us more, can it?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Glad to see this...made my day actually.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Considering the price we paid for his freedom, I wonder if the government will allow him to be prosecuted if the rumors about his capture turn out to be true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Not sure how I see a negotiation to release someone has anything to do with whether or not it's safe to travel overseas.

Do I think we should have negotiated? Well, nothing else has been working, so why not give it a try. Can't make them hate us more, can it?
    Every two-bit terrorist will be clamoring at the opportunity to kidnap an American in the hopes of exchanging for 5, 10, or even 20 scumbags at Gitmo. My advice, blend in..

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Considering the price we paid for his freedom, I wonder if the government will allow him to be prosecuted if the rumors about his capture turn out to be true.
    I've never understood the protocol of releasing 10-20+ people for one person, especially people who we have grabbed on the FIELD of battle who fought against us, to get one of our own back. 1 for 1 i can see. But 20 to one? WTF over.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    I've never understood the protocol of releasing 10-20+ people for one person, especially people who we have grabbed on the FIELD of battle who fought against us, to get one of our own back. 1 for 1 i can see. But 20 to one? WTF over.
    Seems to me that it's a case of humanity over strategy and I'm ok with that.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 70gto View Post
    Every two-bit terrorist will be clamoring at the opportunity to kidnap an American in the hopes of exchanging for 5, 10, or even 20 scumbags at Gitmo. My advice, blend in..
    Nothing they aren't already trying to do...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Not sure this was the smartest idea. How many of these released prisoners will kill more Americans? Obama's plan is to 9,000+ advisors, etc in Afghanistan. Now that we're willing to trade prisoners (i.e., negotiate with terrorists) I see many of our advisors will be placed in greater danger.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS, USAF (ret) View Post
    Not sure this was the smartest idea. How many of these released prisoners will kill more Americans? Obama's plan is to 9,000+ advisors, etc in Afghanistan. Now that we're willing to trade prisoners (i.e., negotiate with terrorists) I see many of our advisors will be placed in greater danger.
    I'm sure the family of the released prisoner will disagree with you. And it was 5 prisoners. 5! For an American soldiers life, for a brothers, sons, etc life. I've never agreed with our blanket "We don't negotiate with terrorists". And I'm sure if it was your family member you would feel differently about it.

As far as what will happen in the future, let's be honest. It's not like they were just going to leave us alone if we didn't make this trade. They were still going to try to kidnap/kill us.