Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: So the United States is negotiating with terrorists now??

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    I'm sure the family of the released prisoner will disagree with you. And it was 5 prisoners. 5! For an American soldiers life, for a brothers, sons, etc life. I've never agreed with our blanket "We don't negotiate with terrorists". And I'm sure if it was your family member you would feel differently about it.

As far as what will happen in the future, let's be honest. It's not like they were just going to leave us alone if we didn't make this trade. They were still going to try to kidnap/kill us.
    You're right. If it was my family then I would feel differently. However, it doesn't change the fact that it will encourage kidnappings in the future. I say we kill our enemies on the battlefield. This way we won't have to provide prisoners better health care than our own vets receive from the VA, then release them so they can kill more Americans.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS, USAF (ret) View Post
    You're right. If it was my family then I would feel differently. However, it doesn't change the fact that it will encourage kidnappings in the future. I say we kill our enemies on the battlefield. This way we won't have to provide prisoners better health care than our own vets receive from the VA, then release them so they can kill more Americans.
    You don't think they are already going to try to kidnap as many as possible? The only other option is that they kill them, if they have the opportunity.

I also don't doubt that we aren't just releasing them. I'd like to think that we will be tracking them pretty closely and possible use them to locate other cells.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    You don't think they are already going to try to kidnap as many as possible? The only other option is that they kill them, if they have the opportunity.

I also don't doubt that we aren't just releasing them. I'd like to think that we will be tracking them pretty closely and possible use them to locate other cells.
    There have already been cases where released GITMO prisoners have killed more Americans. What a shame

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    In regards to hostages, terrorists had no bargaining power in the past against the U.S. This negotiation is a game changer and will forever alter Al Qaeda, the Taliban, and any other extremist group's ROEs against us and our allies.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 70gto View Post
    In regards to hostages, terrorists had no bargaining power in the past against the U.S. This negotiation is a game changer and will forever alter Al Qaeda, the Taliban, and any other extremist group's ROEs against us and our allies.
    Right, because Reagan didn't trade arms for hostages. No terrorist group there, nothing to see. Not to mention, the Taliban isn't really a terrorist operation, but a government in exile. They'll be back, much like so many fundamentalist Arnold Schwartzeneggers.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Seems to me that it's a case of humanity over strategy and I'm ok with that.
    Strange. So you are ok with dozens of more bombings and other such acts by those released, as long as one of ours is ok.
    Then when is a line drawn? Is 100 being released to re-join the Taliban/AQ too much? 1000?

I'm sure the family of the released prisoner will disagree with you. And it was 5 prisoners. 5! For an American soldiers life, for a brothers, sons, etc life. I've never agreed with our blanket "We don't negotiate with terrorists". And I'm sure if it was your family member you would feel differently about it.

As far as what will happen in the future, let's be honest. It's not like they were just going to leave us alone if we didn't make this trade. They were still going to try to kidnap/kill us.
    And if those 5 released make a few more bombs which kill dozens of US soldiers, is it a 'small comfort' to their families, knowing that their son or daughter's life was less valued than this one? What about to the hundreds of people who already lost someone from their bombings?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Strange. So you are ok with dozens of more bombings and other such acts by those released, as long as one of ours is ok.
    Then when is a line drawn? Is 100 being released to re-join the Taliban/AQ too much? 1000?
    If...if...if.

And if those 5 released make a few more bombs which kill dozens of US soldiers, is it a 'small comfort' to their families, knowing that their son or daughter's life was less valued than this one? What about to the hundreds of people who already lost someone from their bombings?
    Again, if ifs and buts...What I do know, for sure, without any hypotheticals, is that the member in question is now home with his family...or will be soon.

I say this sincerely...I sure hope you, or others who are upset about this, are never unfortunate enough to become POWs.
    Last edited by sandsjames; 06-01-2014 at 11:56 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Where is the "official story" not acknowledging there are questions unanswered about Bergdahl's capture? I haven't seen anyone calling this guy a hero.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    If...if...if.

Again, if ifs and buts...What I do know, for sure, without any hypotheticals, is that the member in question is now home with his family...or will be soon.

I say this sincerely...I sure hope you, or others who are upset about this, are never unfortunate enough to become POWs.
    If i ever was a POW i certainly would not want miscreants released who will cause pain and suffering to dozens of others, just to get me free.