Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suicide victims

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Suicide victims

Do you think soldiers who are victims of suicide should be memorialized the same as those who died in combat?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FatCat40 View Post
    Do you think soldiers who are victims of suicide should be memorialized the same as those who died in combat?
    Are you trying to get a greater question that's not a no-brainer like this one?
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Depends if it can be proved what caused them to take that route. If it's a dorm rat who popped positive, is getting kicked out and his girlfriend dumped him, then no. But if we're talking someone who's been through so much shit in the AOR, comes home smashed and can't cope anymore, then I wouldn't disagree.

The hard part is defining it. Everybody has different reactions and different levels of what bothers them. I know I have some mild PTSD. Not from seeing blood, guts and friends blown to pieces, but from two tours of waiting for the next rocket to come in. Any loud bang make my heart jump out of my chest. The old term shell shock, is probably more appropriate than PTSD. Compared to what others have gone through and are daling with, then yeah I'm a pussy. But different people have different make ups and tolerance levels. I joined the Air force, not the Army or Marines. This is the branch my personality led me too. If I was a blood and guts kind of person I'd be in one of those branches.

But long rambling answe, yes. If the combat and after effects of combat caused the suicide.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I wouldn't call someone a "victim" of suicide. So I guess I believe that people who kill themselves should be memorialized the same way one would memorialize a murderer.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I lost a friend in the mudslide in Washington a few months ago. He was still on active duty at the time.

So... if we give suicide victims that same honor, then wouldn't it stand to reason that we give ALL of those who died of reasons other than natural causes that honor too?
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I have no idea what you're getting at here. If you mean they should be eligible for awards like a KIA might be - then obviously no.

But if you mean they should be penalized for committing suicide (like for example the family losing benefits) then obviously no.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoDude View Post
    I have no idea what you're getting at here. If you mean they should be eligible for awards like a KIA might be - then obviously no.
    Why obviously?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smeghead View Post
    Why obviously?
    So if they survive their suicide attempt, do they get a Purple Heart? Hell, since they intended to sacrifice their lives - not merely risk, but actually attempted to sacrifice - it WOULD warrant a Medal of Honor if it happened in a combat zone, but stateside... it would warrant a Soldier's/Airman's/Navy and Marine Corps Medal.

See how ridiculous this can get?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    So if they survive their suicide attempt, do they get a Purple Heart? Hell, since they intended to sacrifice their lives - not merely risk, but actually attempted to sacrifice - it WOULD warrant a Medal of Honor if it happened in a combat zone, but stateside... it would warrant a Soldier's/Airman's/Navy and Marine Corps Medal.

See how ridiculous this can get?
    Have you actually read the eligibility criteria for any of those medals?

I see what you're getting at. But we're in the same argument as to whether servicememebers should get the Purple Heart for PTSD. How do you determine it was the enemy activity that caused it? All I'm saying is if can be clearly traced and attrobuted to the combat environment then why not? But again, the problem is with the "clearly traced and attributed" part.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smeghead View Post
    Have you actually read the eligibility criteria for any of those medals?
    Why are you questioning that? Did I say anything inaccurate with regards to getting those medals in the context of a hypothical scenario in which one could receive awards in a suicide situation?

Possibly the only grey area I see would be the Medal of Honor situation, since we'd have to trace that back to enemy activity. In other words, this gets even MORE ridiculous.

I see what you're getting at. But we're in the same argument as to whether servicememebers should get the Purple Heart for PTSD. How do you determine it was the enemy activity that caused it? All I'm saying is if can be clearly traced and attrobuted to the combat environment then why not? But again, the problem is with the "clearly traced and attributed" part.
    I see we DON'T determine it. I say that the system isn't broke, so we don't need to fix it.