Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 149

Thread: Change of heart

  1. #21
    Senior Member Rusty Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    3,927
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    That is absolutely what he says. The way I take it is that he's saying "The money isn't important. It's not of God. It is of Caesar. Let him have it. You don't need it to enter into heaven".

    It's not about paying taxes. It's about putting Godly things ahead of Earthly things. It could have been anything. It just so happened that the example given takes place in the temple with money changing hands.

    If it was a home, and the Roman's came to take the home away, the same statement would have been made. It's not that one shouldn't have a home, it's that they shouldn't value it more than they value God. It shouldn't define them.
    Aside from no proof in there of being a deity, if there's one reason why I don't believe in the Abrahamic God, it's because of the fact that the Bible is - by far - the most dynamic book ever written. It says whatever the individual believer wants it to say.

    To me, each page says "I'm toilet paper. Please use me."
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

  2. #22
    Senior Member CYBERFX1024's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Pasadena, California
    Posts
    615
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    First I want to say a big up to you on doing some critical thinking and evaluating how you feel about a particular subject. Myself on the other hand still believe that a vast majority of social programs are a waste of time and money for the most part. That's my hard earned money that I need to help support my family.
    I have seen first hand that people will use and abuse the system just because they lazy and can do it. I believe in some social programs are good i.e. food stamps and medicaid. But they are only good for people that actually use them on what they are supposed to use them on, and for people that are legitimately struggling and just need a little helping hand.

  3. #23
    Senior Member TJMAC77SP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,156
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    There is always reason to gloat; you'd be pleased to know, that self-righteousness is dripping like honey from my tongue onto my keyboard as I type this.

    Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going back to typing my essay on how Toby Keith is a negative influence on white moral values.
    Yeah, good luck with that.
    ___________________
    Read carefully, think, then write thoughtfully……………………………..

    I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

  4. #24
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,983
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    Aside from no proof in there of being a deity, if there's one reason why I don't believe in the Abrahamic God, it's because of the fact that the Bible is - by far - the most dynamic book ever written. It says whatever the individual believer wants it to say.

    To me, each page says "I'm toilet paper. Please use me."
    That's cool. Again, not trying to turn this into an argument about what's right or wrong. Just wanted to pass on how I was feeling.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    3,669
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    That is absolutely what he says. The way I take it is that he's saying "The money isn't important. It's not of God. It is of Caesar. Let him have it. You don't need it to enter into heaven".

    It's not about paying taxes. It's about putting Godly things ahead of Earthly things. It could have been anything. It just so happened that the example given takes place in the temple with money changing hands.

    If it was a home, and the Roman's came to take the home away, the same statement would have been made. It's not that one shouldn't have a home, it's that they shouldn't value it more than they value God. It shouldn't define them.
    LOL!

    You still haven't read that passage, the rest of Matthew, or the rest of the bible, have you?

  6. #26
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,983
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    LOL!

    You still haven't read that passage, the rest of Matthew, or the rest of the bible, have you?
    When did I say I've never read the "rest of the bible"? You once asked me if I'd read the bible from front to back like a book. I said no. I have never read the bible from front to back like I would read a book. I have, however, read the entire bible over time, at one time or another.

    And I will state again that the part about taxes has nothing to do with taxes. It has to do with putting God before money, or property, or anything else we come to covet.

    So LOL all you want, but the verses you are pointing out have nothing to do with what you are claiming.

    Either way, let's pretend that it says exactly what you claim it is saying. I'm pretty sure I've never said that anyone should avoid paying taxes. As a matter of fact, I've stated the exact opposite.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Regardless of one's feelings on social safety nets - what will happen when the vast majority of jobs are replaced by machines? By definition, technological revolutions are owned by those with the capital. What about the other 99% of the population?

    I'm not saying welfare is here to say - I'm saying welfare will only increase in size and scope from here on out.

  8. #28
    Member DannyJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    57
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geodude View Post
    regardless of one's feelings on social safety nets - what will happen when the vast majority of jobs are replaced by machines? By definition, technological revolutions are owned by those with the capital. What about the other 99% of the population?

    I'm not saying welfare is here to say - i'm saying welfare will only increase in size and scope from here on out.
    ermehgerd skurnurt is gunner gurt urse!
    “To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.” - Unknown

    Political Compass (http://politicalcompass.org/test)
    Economic Left/Right: -3.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.00

  9. #29
    Member DannyJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    57
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So, I'm of mixed feelings on social programs. There's always going to be a need and there's always going to be contention over whether the people that use them, truly need them; but I believe that as a human, not as a Christian, that we should help others in need. Certainly doesn't mean I'm open for writing a blank check to those who say they are in need, but helping those that need it is certainly a worthwhile endevor.

    Current programs do piss me off a bit though. There are too many in number that are too small in scale. Many fractured programs competeing for their 15 minutes rather than focusing on those in need. Highest on my BS list is, and will always be, welfare. Social security, disability, etc, etc, etc offer the same benefit, but without writing a free check to sit on your ass or have 25 kids. I'm a huge fan of co-op based programs that require those that benefit put into the very system they draw from rather than just recieve. Not everyone is capable of everything, but everyone is capable of something, which is what matters. Not saying everyone is capable of having a solid job, but they damn well can contribute somehow.

    I've never been a big fan of handing out cash or check to those asking, which is why I dislike welfare so much; I'd much rather devote time as a volunteer. Food pantries, Habitat for Humanity, soup kitchens, no cost day care centers, etc have been a real outlet to allow me and mine to give back without opening up the wallet. I'm glad there are people that do donate money, but I don't see the sense in doing it myself.

    Just as a FYI, I do identify as a Dem, just tend not to follow the company line on social programs.
    “To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.” - Unknown

    Political Compass (http://politicalcompass.org/test)
    Economic Left/Right: -3.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.00

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyJ View Post
    ermehgerd skurnurt is gunner gurt urse!
    I don't follow...?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •