Thread: AZ high school honors pregnant teens in year book. Right or wrong?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

AZ high school honors pregnant teens in year book. Right or wrong?

Saw this on both Fox and MSNBC at lunch, where a Mesa AZ school, had 2 pages in the year book for this year's graduating students honoring pregnant teens and the 'hardships' they deal with.
    What made me laugh, is the school said "these are choices made out of school grounds". If that is the case, why honor those choices with the school giving them 'center page' (so to speak). Heck the news report did also mention that Honor students who also work jobs are NOT being honored equally, so why 'honor' pregnant teens this way??

Do you feel this is right or wrong of the school/year book committee.??

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...-abrk/2256064/

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...arents-n109606

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Saw this on both Fox and MSNBC at lunch, where a Mesa AZ school, had 2 pages in the year book for this year's graduating students honoring pregnant teens and the 'hardships' they deal with.
    What made me laugh, is the school said "these are choices made out of school grounds". If that is the case, why honor those choices with the school giving them 'center page' (so to speak). Heck the news report did also mention that Honor students who also work jobs are NOT being honored equally, so why 'honor' pregnant teens this way??

Because everyone knows that a teen doesn't have a choice of whether she gets pregnant or not. Those who are working jobs AND keeping their grades up do so because they choose to.

Come on man!

To answer your question, I honestly don't think it matters what's in the year book. It's just a year book and I'm not sure why it would be on 2 different Media Entertainment networks. When's the last time you looked at your year book?

Those who worked jobs and kept their grades up will have a better chance and being relatively successful. That will be reward enough. The pregnant teens who are being "honored" will most likely be dealing with abusive boyfriends/husbands and trying to keep their kids out of jail.

edit: Not surprising, though, that the pregnant teens get the recognition. Hell, look at the TV reality shows and you'll find out what American's find interesting and honorable these days.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post

Kind of an interesting sociological problem. Am I correct in assuming Arizona is one of those states that has a very high rate of teen pregnancy?

I would think, the intent is to encourage those girls who will become pregnant next year to stay in school rather than feel like they have to dropout.

I would be very surpised to learn that any of the girls get pregnant simply because they want to be honored in the yearbook. So, I don't think it's a matter of giving "honor" to the fact they got pregnant (so as to encourage others to do it)...but, as I said, to give honor to the fact that they chose to stay in school despite the struggles of being a young mother and presenting that an honorable thing.

So, I'm tending to support the committee here...pregnant seniors are just as much part of the class as the everyone else, and this is just a reflection of the community. They should feel just as proud of their accomplishment to graduate...and maybe a little more knowing what they had to overcome.

I 100% disagree with the noted schools in Michigan and N. Carolina that went out of their way to ban pictures of pregnant students...that is disgraceful, IMO. They are still your students.
    Last edited by Measure Man; 05-20-2014 at 10:21 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    To me, it screams yet another 'glorification' of teen pregnancy though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hear that sound? That's the sound of our society getting flushed down the toilet. If they had a section devoted to pregnant teens, they surely must've had one for the LGBT students as well. Back in the day, there's NO WAY those types would've been featured in a yearbook. Just goes to show how far down the toilet our society has come.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by socal1200r View Post
    Hear that sound? That's the sound of our society getting flushed down the toilet. If they had a section devoted to pregnant teens, they surely must've had one for the LGBT students as well. Back in the day, there's NO WAY those types would've been featured in a yearbook. Just goes to show how far down the toilet our society has come.
    I don't think a time in our history when we took our pregnant and LGBT students and hid them away is something to be particularly proud of, IMO.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Wasn't it normal, back in the day (i.e., before WWII), for teenage girls to get pregnant and have children anyway?
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males