Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Questions/Concerns/Issues with Forum upgrade

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Something is defiantly screwy with this site. First 2 times I try and post something (6/17) I get a message indicating they need mod approval. Ten days later I’m notified they were apparently deleted. Yesterday I successfully and without issue post my first 2 posts on this site. A few minutes ago I quoted Mjölnir and got the message regarding mod approval. Then I tried posting the same message, not quoting, I get the message regarding Mod approval, and now under Mjölnir’s post it sort of looks like I posted except it says “Thank you for posting! Your post will not be visible until a moderator has approved it for posting.”

IMHO this site has a few issues. First there should be some type of FAQ that explains the registration process, what restrictions a newly registered account/member has, and what must be done to gain full permissions/become a member. Second is change/alter the permissions a newly registered account has. I understand the need to restrict what/how a newbie posts, but a new account should have the ability to seek help. On 5/15 I was able to PM Mjölnir and receive his response. Now, I can’t PM anyone and using the “contact us” link yields crickets. There should be an avenue, FAQ and/or ability to PM, for people to get answers/help. Third issue is outlined in the above paragraph. Sometimes a newbie’s posts appear, sometimes they disappear/get deleted…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_1991-2011 View Post
    Something is defiantly screwy with this site.
    "screwy" is one way of putting it. I am still adjusting to the new version of the site as well.

IMHO this site has a few issues. First there should be some type of FAQ that explains the registration process, what restrictions a newly registered account/member has, and what must be done to gain full permissions/become a member.

This is a really good suggestion. I will work with the other moderator and the admin to start this up.

Second is change/alter the permissions a newly registered account has. I understand the need to restrict what/how a newbie posts, but a new account should have the ability to seek help. On 5/15 I was able to PM Mjölnir and receive his response. Now, I can’t PM anyone and using the “contact us” link yields crickets.
    I am not sure about the permissions a newly registered member may have. The Forum software was upgraded and the boards essentially rebuilt right before the time period you are talking about.

Normally a new member does not have the permissions to send PM's so would need to post in the Questions Forum. I remember your PM from last month, so not sure if the permissions were getting tweaked when you sent it or not.

There should be an avenue, FAQ and/or ability to PM, for people to get answers/help. Third issue is outlined in the above paragraph. Sometimes a newbie’s posts appear, sometimes they disappear/get deleted…
    I like the suggestion for a FAQ thread. In lieu of being able to send a PM, you did the next best available thing and posted in the forum. Your most recent post (that does not have a quote) appeared without moderator approval, so it may be that posts with attachments or quotes are what is restricted initially. I can imagine it would be frustrating and I will see what I can do to apply some lessons learned.

EDIT: I think I know where some of your posts "disappeared" to. There is an option in the control panel for Moderators to approve moderated posts. We used to get a notice for this, but it doesn't look like that happens any longer. I just approved a couple of posts that had been queued up for a while.

Again, thanks for your patience and suggestions.
    Last edited by Mjölnir; 06-28-2014 at 02:03 AM.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    how do you edit your profile?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dberns View Post
    how do you edit your profile?
    In the tool bar on your screen, click on the link that says "FORUM ACTIONS", the option to edit your profile is there.

Welcome to MTF!
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    there is no where on the page that says forum actions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    In the tool bar on your screen, click on the link that says "FORUM ACTIONS", the option to edit your profile is there.

Welcome to MTF!
    Nevermind I found it.

the site kept showing up in mobile mode with all the blue bubbles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Who let the newbie Rooskie SPAMbot in?
    This calls for a delicate blend of psychology and extreme violence. Vyvyan, The Young Ones