Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions/Concerns/Issues with Forum upgrade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Feels like a bus driver's forum. (not that there is any thing wrong with that.)
    No AF or military feel to site.
    Looks like a juvenile attempt at forum appearance and layout for office workers.
    History...kaput.
    Stats...kaput.
    Friends?... kaput
    PMs... None.
    Most common response... "This page is not available".
    Familiar feel and association?... little.
    Improved user capability? None.
    Smooth transition?...No.
    In thread advertising?... Plenty.

Progress? Not really. Improvement for users? Not really.

Result: Loss of historical context. Boring interface, poor participation, loss of followership, continuing aggravation and deterioration of base numbers. Combined with recent moderation crackdown, bannings, criticisms, arbitrary removal and movement of subject matter...Epic fail.
    JMHO
    ChiefB

It's the same in all wars, the very young and adventurous give up their lives for the old and cautious, and so the bluecollar for the privileged, the uneducated for the student, the poor for the well off, the patriot for the politician, and the few for the many.

TC6, C5

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefB View Post
    Feels like a bus driver's forum. (not that there is any thing wrong with that.)
    No AF or military feel to site.
    Looks like a juvenile attempt at forum appearance and layout for office workers.
    History...kaput.
    Stats...kaput.
    Friends?... kaput
    PMs... None.
    Most common response... "This page is not available".
    Familiar feel and association?... little.
    Improved user capability? None.
    Smooth transition?...No.
    In thread advertising?... Plenty.

Progress? Not really. Improvement for users? Not really.

Result: Loss of historical context. Boring interface, poor participation, loss of followership, continuing aggravation and deterioration of base numbers. Combined with recent moderation crackdown, bannings, criticisms, arbitrary removal and movement of subject matter...Epic fail.
    JMHO
    Yeah, the worst thing about it is that the forums are...just...fading away. A sad death.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Alfredo View Post
    Yeah, the worst thing about it is that the forums are...just...being moderated to death. A sad death.
    Fixed it for ya.
    “To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.” - Unknown

Political Compass (http://politicalcompass.org/test)
    Economic Left/Right: -3.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.00

Administrator
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Thanks for the comments. First, I'll say we know this new site is a shock. We are sorry, but it was necessary. Here's why:

The old forum was a mess. It comprised 9 Gigabytes of:
    110,000 accumulated spam and inactive user accounts (for years), and their posts.
    Data duplicated and distorted from at least two previous major updates and server upgrades.
    Data that was injected into the database from at least two known hack attempts.
    And a lot of other messy stuff that just had to go.

You all spent the last several months without proper messaging, without new members, and so on, all because the security vulnerabilities of this 9 GB of messy data forced our host to lock down our site. Even while locked down, we had to plead with them not to shut it down completely.

Security was main reason we did this move. The new site is a fresh install, a new host, and only 400 megabytes of content from 2012 forward.

I won't lie. Some content will never be brought back, generally determined by age. Some we will add as we are able to do so safely, without reintroducing any hacks or vulnerabilities.

So please remember a couple key items:

1. We call this an "upgrade," but, in reality, the entire site was recreated. The old forum was too out of date and too messy to upgrade. So we built an entirely new site, and literally transplanted content. Unfortunately, any time you do that some content gets left behind, either because it is too old, too corrupt, or simply incompatible with the new site.

2. We consider this project ongoing. We didn't want to keep the forum offline for too long, so we opened it again to commenting, knowing some things would take longer to restore.
    This means:
    - Old content and history is NOT "lost" or "deleted." We have a backup. So, we will continue to restore data that makes sense and is safe to bring over, it'll just take time.
    - We will work to speed up the forum if that is indeed a factor. We didn't encounter it during development, but will continue to look into it.
    - We can and will still change things that don't make sense - font has been suggested, colors, etc.

With all of that said, other specific issues are addressed below:

Post counts going down
    This is due to the archiving and removal of content pre-2012. This will go back up, as we are able to add the older content back to the site.

Missing 2013 content - It should be there, but may not be displaying for various reasons. We'll go back through and verify the database contents are as expected, and the search index is as expected.

Friends
    We'll also check on this.

Likes/Thanks
    Thanks and Likes were a part of an addon to the forum that should have been brought over from the old site. However, as it was a new install with new addons and software, the connection between the old thanks and likes appears to have broken and as yet we cannot find a way to restore it, but are aware and working on it.

Theme colors and Design
    At the very bottom of the page, you can switch to one of a few different color options using the dropdown that says "Metro." Purple is probably closest to the old design.

Advertising
    This was always there, albeit, there are more banners now outside threads as well. We had banners in threads previously though, or should have... Did you never actually have a banner displayed in your threads?

Bottom-line
    We are sticking with "new." The old site was simply too horrendously fubar to keep (to use a movie cliche). However, we will do our best to make it a good experience. Some change is necessary, but hopefully we can make sure it is change for the better, not worse.
    - ForumAdmin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
    Thanks for the comments. First, I'll say we know this new site is a shock. We are sorry, but it was necessary. Here's why:
    You are welcome. Your answers would have been so much more an amelioration of the results if having been given as a heads up shortly before/after the upgrade/redo depending on the subject.
    The old forum was a mess. It comprised 9 Gigabytes of:
    110,000 accumulated spam and inactive user accounts (for years), and their posts.
    Data duplicated and distorted from at least two previous major updates and server upgrades.
    Data that was injected into the database from at least two known hack attempts.
    And a lot of other messy stuff that just had to go.
    Understand.

You all spent the last several months without proper messaging, without new members, and so on, all because the security vulnerabilities of this 9 GB of messy data forced our host to lock down our site. Even while locked down, we had to plead with them not to shut it down completely.
    Seems site management has been a bit remiss in their proper maintenance for no little while.

Security was main reason we did this move. The new site is a fresh install, a new host, and only 400 megabytes of content from 2012 forward.
    Got it.

I won't lie. Some content will never be brought back, generally determined by age. Some we will add as we are able to do so safely, without reintroducing any hacks or vulnerabilities.
    Good.

So please remember a couple key items:

1. We call this an "upgrade," but, in reality, the entire site was recreated. The old forum was too out of date and too messy to upgrade. So we built an entirely new site, and literally transplanted content. Unfortunately, any time you do that some content gets left behind, either because it is too old, too corrupt, or simply incompatible with the new site.
    Seems that a lot of this comment we can expect to see in the near future. i.e. "...some content gets left behind, either because it is too old, too corrupt, or simply incompatible with the new site." This catch-all may get a little too convenient after a while. I hope not.

2. We consider this project ongoing. We didn't want to keep the forum offline for too long, so we opened it again to commenting, knowing some things would take longer to restore.
    This means:

- Old content and history is NOT "lost" or "deleted." We have a backup. So, we will continue to restore data that makes sense and is safe to bring over, it'll just take time.
    Good.

- We will work to speed up the forum if that is indeed a factor. We didn't encounter it during development, but will continue to look into it.
    Good. Does this also include the many "unable to find that web page" notations?

- We can and will still change things that don't make sense - font has been suggested, colors, etc.
    Good.

With all of that said, other specific issues are addressed below:

Post counts going down
    This is due to the archiving and removal of content pre-2012. This will go back up, as we are able to add the older content back to the site.
    Excellent.

Missing 2013 content - It should be there, but may not be displaying for various reasons. We'll go back through and verify the database contents are as expected, and the search index is as expected.
    2013 at least will provide some backward continuity to current comments, positions and personalities.

Friends
    We'll also check on this.
    Good, because for many of us the friends list is the sole source of a poster's ability for SN contact ID and continuity.

Likes/Thanks
    Thanks and Likes were a part of an add-on to the forum that should have been brought over from the old site. However, as it was a new install with new add-ons and software, the connection between the old thanks and likes appears to have broken and as yet we cannot find a way to restore it, but are aware and working on it.
    Like/Thanks.

Theme colors and Design
    At the very bottom of the page, you can switch to one of a few different color options using the dropdown that says "Metro." Purple is probably closest to the old design.
    Colors are too stark, too bright. Need some subtlety. Some texture.

Advertising
    This was always there, albeit, there are more banners now outside threads as well. We had banners in threads previously though, or should have... Did you never actually have a banner displayed in your threads?
    Never had banners/adverts within individual posts until just recently. Used to be outside post frame,in right margin.

Bottom-line
    We are sticking with "new." The old site was simply too horrendously fubar to keep (to use a movie cliche). However, we will do our best to make it a good experience. Some change is necessary, but hopefully we can make sure it is change for the better, not worse.
    Thanks for a thoughtful reply. Good luck.
    ChiefB

It's the same in all wars, the very young and adventurous give up their lives for the old and cautious, and so the bluecollar for the privileged, the uneducated for the student, the poor for the well off, the patriot for the politician, and the few for the many.

TC6, C5

Newbie - (Restricted)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I tried registering on this forum about 3 months ago. My account was created, but I was never able to post. I messaged several mods and the site admin help function. No response, no resolution. The day after this new forum is up I have a new account that works. This forum was previously impossible to join for new members...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyJ View Post
    Also, as above...the emocons aren't functional.

Avatars besides Mjolinor not showing.
    My avatar did transfer, I did not reload it.

Emoticon test: edit: (it does look like most emoticons are still not working)

PM's should be working, I have tested a few with various members.
    Last edited by Mjölnir; 05-11-2014 at 11:37 AM.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    My avatar did transfer, I did not reload it.

Emoticon test: edit: (it does look like most emoticons are still not working)

PM's should be working, I have tested a few with various members.
    No Avatar.JPG This seems to be the issue. Unless I'm completely not getting it. Where is the option to upload/select a pic for avatar?
    “To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.” - Unknown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyJ View Post
    No Avatar.JPG This seems to be the issue. Unless I'm completely not getting it. Where is the option to upload/select a pic for avatar?
    @DannyJ

1. Left hand side of the screen, under <<My Settings>> select "Edit Avatar"

2. On the next screen, check the option for <<Use Custom Avatar>>
    a. Option A is to use a photo from the web
    b. Option B is to upload a photo from your computer

It looks like the photo you have uploaded is used as your profile picture vice your avatar. Let me know if you don't have the same options in my attached photo.
    Last edited by Mjölnir; 05-11-2014 at 07:03 PM.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    @DannyJ

1. Left hand side of the screen, under <<My Settings>> select "Edit Avatar"

2. On the next screen, check the option for <<Use Custom Avatar>>
    a. Option A is to use a photo from the web
    b. Option B is to upload a photo from your computer

It looks like the photo you have uploaded is used as your profile picture vice your avatar. Let me know if you don't have the same options in my attached photo.
    I do not have the options as in your picture.