Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Questions/Concerns/Issues with Forum upgrade

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I've learned awhile back that moderators - and not just on MTF, but in general - cannot be reasoned with. They're going to do whatever they're going to do, and that's that.

I've lost many facebook friends over the years. Why?

It really irks me when facebook friends make a status update announcing that they're going to scrub their friends list, and warning people not to be mad if they're among the ones to be deleted. And then I find it humorous, when people post comments asking "I'm safe, right?"

Even if I probably wasn't going to be deleted, I'll go right up to those statuses and post a smart ass comment, or rip them a new one for making such an announcement. Seriously: who in the FUCK are YOU that your "friendship" is so fucking valuable that people will beg you not to take it away from them, and that they'll hold on for dear life just to keep it? Are you really that fucking special?

Or, someone might warn that if you say this, or joke about that, then they'll block you. I'll go right ahead and do it, and get blocked - not giving two shits, either way.

I don't care. A facebook account holder might "own" their page, and a moderator may "own" or be a steward of a message board... but they don't own ME, and I will NEVER behave as if they do. So all this begging and pleading with moderators? Don't do it. Your dignity is more important.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    I've learned awhile back that moderators - and not just on MTF, but in general - cannot be reasoned with. They're going to do whatever they're going to do, and that's that.

I've lost many facebook friends over the years. Why?

It really irks me when facebook friends make a status update announcing that they're going to scrub their friends list, and warning people not to be mad if they're among the ones to be deleted. And then I find it humorous, when people post comments asking "I'm safe, right?"

Even if I probably wasn't going to be deleted, I'll go right up to those statuses and post a smart ass comment, or rip them a new one for making such an announcement. Seriously: who in the FUCK are YOU that your "friendship" is so fucking valuable that people will beg you not to take it away from them, and that they'll hold on for dear life just to keep it? Are you really that fucking special?

Or, someone might warn that if you say this, or joke about that, then they'll block you. I'll go right ahead and do it, and get blocked - not giving two shits, either way.

I don't care. A facebook account holder might "own" their page, and a moderator may "own" or be a steward of a message board... but they don't own ME, and I will NEVER behave as if they do. So all this begging and pleading with moderators? Don't do it. Your dignity is more important.
    Rusty, Every once in awhile we find ourselves on the same side of an issue. This is one of those times.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    Rusty, Every once in awhile we find ourselves on the same side of an issue. This is one of those times.
    "It's the end of the world as we know it."

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    "It's the end of the world as we know it."
    Naaaa, it's happened once (maybe twice) before. Of course the full moon is tomorrow so there might be an explanation there.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I have questions that aren’t related to the Forum upgrade, but since I’m a Newbie (restricted account) I can only reply to posts/threads. (I’m also unable to send messages, so I can’t contact a mod.) How does this site work? Do you have to have a certain number of posts to become a member? If so how many….and how? I replied to a thread in the AF forum on the 16th or 17th. After hitting “submit reply” there was a message about the post needing to be reviewed by a mod. How long does it take to review a post?

I’ve searched the site for an FAQ that explains how to become a member/have an un/less restricted account without luck. On 5/15 I was able to send a message to Mjolner and received a reply the same day. (His advice/help didn’t work.) For whatever reason I can no longer message anyone. I’ve sent several messages to the site admin via the “contact us” link without a reply. I’m at my wits end as it appears this site is geared to prevent people from joining. Assuming this post actually posts/shows up I’m looking for a way to get some help/answers. Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Please disregard last post. (Obviously I did something wrong when attempting to reply to the thread in the AF forum.) My bad. (I'd edit/delete previous post if I could.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_1991-2011 View Post
    Please disregard last post. (Obviously I did something wrong when attempting to reply to the thread in the AF forum.) My bad. (I'd edit/delete previous post if I could.)
    No worries. I remember sending you a PM with some instructions, you said it didn't help?

I haven't seen a post that needed approval (which is normal or new joins.) Your post above looks to have posted without approval, so the issue may have worked out.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    No worries. I remember sending you a PM with some instructions, you said it didn't help?

I haven't seen a post that needed approval (which is normal or new joins.) Your post above looks to have posted without approval, so the issue may have worked out.
    To say your instructions didn’t help is true in that, as it turns out, nothing was actually wrong. Somewhere along the line I think something confused me and/or didn’t seem right, and I thought something was wrong with my account or with the registration process. Regarding the e-mail (needing approval) I don’t know what to say other than I must have been daydreaming and imagined seeing something about my post needing approval or, more than likely, I did something wrong. So basically the only “issue” I had was…..me, and everything appears to be as it should. I appreciate your response/assistance. Thanks.

P.S. I typed the above post in Word before logging in. I just logged in and found that I had a notification (New Post Quotes). Your quote is listed along with this:

06-17-2014

10:38 PM - Chris_1991-2011 quoted fufu in post Deleted Posts
    10:37 PM - Chris_1991-2011 quoted fufu in post Deleted Posts

So I guess I may, or may not, have imagined getting some sort of message regarding my post needing approval. Given that with my accounts current permissions, I can only post replies; I could not have deleted my posts. (I can’t even edit my posts with current permissions.) So something is wrong and/or a bit off. Oh well I guess…

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    To say your instructions didn’t help is true in that, as it turns out, nothing was actually wrong. Somewhere along the line I think something confused me and/or didn’t seem right, and I thought something was wrong with my account or with the registration process. Regarding the e-mail (needing approval) I don’t know what to say other than I must have been daydreaming and imagined seeing something about my post needing approval or, more than likely, I did something wrong. So basically the only “issue” I had was…..me, and everything appears to be as it should. I appreciate your response/assistance. Thanks.

P.S. I typed the above post in Word before logging in. I just logged in and found that I had a notification (New Post Quotes). Your quote is listed along with this:

06-17-2014

So I guess I may, or may not, have imagined getting some sort of message regarding my post needing approval. Given that with my accounts current permissions, I can only post replies; I could not have deleted my posts. (I can’t even edit my posts with current permissions.) So something is wrong and/or a bit off. Oh well I guess…

(If this post appears/posts, then posts that quote other members need moderator approval. I just quoted Mjölnir's last post and got a message about it needing mod approval. My first 2 posts above posted without issue.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_1991-2011 View Post
    (If this post appears/posts, then posts that quote other members need moderator approval. I just quoted Mjölnir's last post and got a message about it needing mod approval. My first 2 posts above posted without issue.)
    That may be the issue.

As a moderator, I don't have the ability to see what permissions are given to a new member vice a junior or senior members.

I did see that the two posts above both required moderator approval (done) so the next step to get beyond that may be to comment on the boards to move from being a new member (newbie-restricted) to a junior member.

Sorry you had a difficult start to the Forums, but welcome nonetheless.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.