Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Port Richey soldier says squatters won't leave his home

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

New Port Richey soldier says squatters won't leave his home

This has already generated local attention and offers of help. Hopefully the story will get some national attention and these asshats in their house will get what's coming to them.

http://www.wfla.com/story/25297909/s...and-wont-leave

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: New Port Richey soldier says squatters won't leave his home

What a bummer. My friend is a deputy for this county. I sent him this story on FB. He is shaking his head also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not a lawyer, but I wonder if the squatters work. If so, the owner should take some leave, wait until the squatters leave, enter his home by breaking the locks and then change the locks. I mean, you can't be charged with breaking into your own home, can you? When the police show up, all he has to show is the mortgage/title in his name.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

A great example of how, when actually needed, the government is either incapable or unwilling to do the right thing. This is the same government (all levels) that many citizens actually believe will render aid in a time of disaster or lawlessness.
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjohn1118 View Post
    I'm not a lawyer, but I wonder if the squatters work. If so, the owner should take some leave, wait until the squatters leave, enter his home by breaking the locks and then change the locks. I mean, you can't be charged with breaking into your own home, can you? When the police show up, all he has to show is the mortgage/title in his name.
    I would imagine that he has a title or mortgage in his name already... still nothing is done.
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by efmbman View Post
    I would imagine that he has a title or mortgage in his name already... still nothing is done.
    Unfortunately, if the article is correct, the squatter is claiming a verbal agreement was made allowing him to live there. It may very well be that it is going to take a judge's decision/court order to force him to leave. I don't agree in any way but he's probably getting advice from someone. I understand there are some strange laws out there when it comes to evicting someone from your property.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjohn1118 View Post
    My advice is to check with a local attorney to find out what needs to be done legally. I know in my state individuals can evict someone without hiring an attorney through magistrate court. There may be some other options for people in similar situations, depending on the state.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Legal rights should be anchored in legality. In other words, if you break into someone's house and are injured doing so, you shouldn't be able to sue the homeowner for damages.

These squatters took up residence in an illegal manner (the person they claim they had a verbal agreement with categorically denies that). They shouldn't be entitled to the protections of tenant laws based on that illegal act.

Of course I am not an attorney so despite the common sense, my opinion means zilch.

This whole situation is completely beyond belief and should be rectified now. Right now.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

It surprises me the # of times i hear cases of this where squatters take over places. IMO there should never be quatters rights laws.