Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Port Richey soldier says squatters won't leave his home

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Re: New Port Richey soldier says squatters won't leave his home

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    IMO there should never be quatters rights laws.
    Agreed, but determining who is a squatter should have some sort of check/balance -- to prevent an owner/landlord declaring you a squatter and calling the police who then just take the word of the owner.

It would only seem right that once a squatter is evicted the owner should be reimpbursed for a fair rate based on length of occupancy (length of squat?), but I don't see someone who was willing to occupy a property illegally being compelled to reimburse the owner either, and I would rather see the criminal justice system concentrate on higher tiered crimes. Now if the squatter is also involved in drug dealing or other crimes ... that may be a good tie in / avenue of approach.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

True, usually those squatting are more than willing to skip out on any cash owed if there is a judgement against them. Especially for damages owed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The Tampa Bay Times had some news about this story today. It seems that while the Pasco County Sherriff's Office was claiming they were "powerless" to do anything about the situation, a veterans group, "...had an attorney draft an ejection order that got Ortiz out of the home within 48 hours of WFLA airing the story."

I swear if my hair was long enough I would have pulled it all out after reading this today. The spokesman for the PCSO actually said they were "powerless" and that Ortiz, "... would not let them on the property ..."

Pasco Sheriff Chris Nocco even said, "There's a lot of times where even our emotions, we have to hold back, because we have to follow what's in (the Florida Statutes) ..."

YHGTBFSM!

Every week I read a new story about LEOs in America ramming down citizens' front doors, barging inside, throwing everyone (including women and kids) face down on the floor and ransacking the place in the execution of a search warrant. Often, they also shoot and kill any pets. Thankfully, most times they have the correct address and the activities of the perps justified the issue of the warrant and the search. But unfortunately, there are times when they invade an incorrect address, and lots of times where they send a SWAT team to serve warrants for non-violent crimes like smoking some doobies or having a poker game. (Illegal, yes ... but do you need a frickin' SWAT team?) Many LEOs and completely innocent people have died in these type of raids.

Oh, and thanks to the complete gutting of the fourth amendment, LEOs don't even need a search warrant. If the officers decide (all on their own) that "exigent circumstances" exist, they can simply invade and search on-the-spot. "Exigent circumstances" can, and have been, nothing more than, "I thought I smelled the odor of marijuana." Often, it has been nothing more than the LEOs hearing "suspicious noises" coming from inside the home. Bam! Everyone get on the ground!

Yet here we have an obvious ne'er-do-well in a property that belongs to someone else who wants him out and the Sherriff waves the Florida Statutes and says he's "powerless" to do anything about the situation?

Son. Of. A. Bitch.

Of course, after he was evicted they searched the house and found criminal evidence. Duh.

Here's the link: http://www.tampabay.com/news/publics...s-home/2177280
    "Every society honors its live conformists and its dead troublemakers."
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BENDER56 View Post
    Every week I read a new story about LEOs in America ramming down citizens' front doors, barging inside, throwing everyone (including women and kids) face down on the floor and ransacking the place in the execution of a search warrant. Often, they also shoot and kill any pets. Thankfully, most times they have the correct address and the activities of the perps justified the issue of the warrant and the search. But unfortunately, there are times when they invade an incorrect address, and lots of times where they send a SWAT team to serve warrants for non-violent crimes like smoking some doobies or having a poker game. (Illegal, yes ... but do you need a frickin' SWAT team?) Many LEOs and completely innocent people have died in these type of raids.

Oh, and thanks to the complete gutting of the fourth amendment, LEOs don't even need a search warrant. If the officers decide (all on their own) that "exigent circumstances" exist, they can simply invade and search on-the-spot. "Exigent circumstances" can, and have been, nothing more than, "I thought I smelled the odor of marijuana." Often, it has been nothing more than the LEOs hearing "suspicious noises" coming from inside the home. Bam! Everyone get on the ground!
    The part i really hate about that exigent circumstances crap is often its deliberatly made up on the spot by the cops, to justify going into a place cause what little evidence they had was not sufficient to get a warrant. And US the citizenry seem to have no redress against it.. Cause its the officers word against ours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So if this is the guy's home, and there's someone illegally living in it, isn't he entirely within his rights to enter his property, draw a firearm, and force the squatter to leave? If the squatter has an issue with that, he can contact the police about it. It's his home, he should be able to enter and leave as he sees fit, and carry a firearm on his property as he sees fit. Put the two together, and I'm sure he should've been able to kick that squatter out.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Not sure. With all the crap about stand your ground, perhaps those squatters would be in THEIR rights to shoot the home owner in their defense.