Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Letter: Why I won't re-enlist

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Re: Letter: Why I won't re-enlist

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    He's complaining about the Air Force not letting him wear a type of facial hair that's been out of style since the series finale of Magnum PI (he actually CAN wear a moustache like that in the Navy, but he'll still get fucked with by his peers), among other things... outside of that, I must admit... I had most of the same complaints that he did while I was in.
    Rusty, I think you're missing the whole point here. The moustache thing was just the straw that broke the camel's back. The point is that the Air Force has become so obsessed with style over substance that the fact we're deploying people for no reason other than to appear "all-in" doesn't seem to have occurred to Air Force leadership. We're not only wasting money, but we're burning up families and airmen for no good reason. The vast majority of "support" TDYs to SWA could be done from home station, but too many in charge don't embrace the "smarter, not harder" ethos we once proudly advertised as our way of life. The moustache is just a symptom.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConfusedAirman View Post
    The little whiner should just GTFO singing the Rolling Stones classic, "You Can't Always Get What You Want", as he rolls out the gate. I despise anyone who whine about deployments and time away from family.
    Yes, Flying Spaghetti Monster forbid anyone point out the emperor has no clothes on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Alfredo View Post
    Yes, Flying Spaghetti Monster forbid anyone point out the emperor has no clothes on.
    Wasn't that the band that opened for the Stones at Altimont? Bernie Leden of The Eagles was with them. No, that was the Flying Burrito Brothers.

:focus When it's time to walk away, walk away. Make your decision and have a plan.
    "Wrong" is one of those concepts that requires witnesses. Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A lot of you guys are just assholes. No offense but if you can't see how messed up the Air Force is then you need to pull your head out of your ass. The guy is tired of constant deployments and tired of the focus being on stupid stuff. I completely understand. How about instead of getting pissed because someone has gotten fed up with the BS you just wish him well. The Air Force isn't a lot of fun anymore and leadership cares more about your PT test than they do on your actual ability to do your primary job. That's ridiculous. I definitely understand where this guy is coming from and I hope he finds what he's looking for on he outside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Alfredo View Post
    Rusty, I think you're missing the whole point here. The moustache thing was just the straw that broke the camel's back. The point is that the Air Force has become so obsessed with style over substance that the fact we're deploying people for no reason other than to appear "all-in" doesn't seem to have occurred to Air Force leadership. We're not only wasting money, but we're burning up families and airmen for no good reason. The vast majority of "support" TDYs to SWA could be done from home station, but too many in charge don't embrace the "smarter, not harder" ethos we once proudly advertised as our way of life. The moustache is just a symptom.
    Thank you...someone else saw the "bigger picture" or point with this article. I read the article and can relate a lot to it. I cannot believe some of the comments on the article too...other Airmen (some purporting to be of higher rank) trying to act like they are better than this guy. It did always seem like the careerists seem threatened by people who question the careerist way of life.

So many commenters on the article say "rules are rules." What rule from what Guidance Memorandum to 36-2903 are you suppose to follow though? It is so easy to say rules are rules. However, the rules keep changing so much, no one can keep up with the latest Air Force fad that is called a rule. I've seen SNCO's try to enforce rules that were outdated because even those "professionals" couldn't keep up. The rules changed so much that they could not get 36-2903 (and other regulations) re-written in time. Guidance Memorandums use to only be good for 180 days and could not be renewed; that was to prevent exactly what has happened - constant and endless arbitrary changes that provide no benefit to the Air Force. So...they changed 33-360 and made Guidance Memorandums good for 1 year. Also, anyone could walk into any office in the Air Force and find and write up multiple rules from AFI's that are not being followed... No one person in the Air Force is following all of the rules. Of course, the mustache rule wasn't the point...people clearly missed the point.

The writer just finally saw through the brainwashing and realized he was throwing his life away for nothing.

I got out after well over 10 years; don't regret it either...been much happier. My decision was a few years in the making... I can relate to a lot of what he said. And I venture to say many, many more feel this way...especially considering the numbers that have put in for early separation and/or retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by ConfusedAirman View Post
    Wanting to be with family is one thing (and very commendable). Whining about how deployments take you away from family is another.
    He said he has been on multiple 6 month deployments in 6 years. I knew several people at 20 years that NEVER deployed. There is every reason to take issue with deployments.

Quote Originally Posted by talon1load View Post
    A lot of you guys are just assholes. No offense but if you can't see how messed up the Air Force is then you need to pull your head out of your ass. The guy is tired of constant deployments and tired of the focus being on stupid stuff. I completely understand. How about instead of getting pissed because someone has gotten fed up with the BS you just wish him well. The Air Force isn't a lot of fun anymore and leadership cares more about your PT test than they do on your actual ability to do your primary job. That's ridiculous. I definitely understand where this guy is coming from and I hope he finds what he's looking for on he outside.
    Some people simply don't have the complex thinking abilities to realize or see how messed up things are.

A prime example is how they focus on the mustache issue from the article...when that was not the issue...it was a symptom.

Another example would be how they think we are more free and secure since the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. People don't realize how little freedom they actually have. Everything is excessively taxed and regulated.

They are probably the ones that excel at PT but could not perform their primary duties if their life depended on it.

Just remember one thing...Congress is putting billions more into a plane that is billions over budget and years behind schedule. (F-35) Life is short...decide what is important to you. For me...family was.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It is easy to read his letter and have a stereotypical STFU or GTFO response. But after reading it again and again and skipping over the mustache silliness he makes many valid points, especially when you're being told how appreciative the nation is, how much support you have, how you make a difference, etc.; only to have a seemingly non-stop barrage of cuts to nearly every personnel support program that affects you and your family. Remember "Mission First, People Always"?

I'd bet a dozen donuts (this retiree's standard bet) that all the mustache comments were a direct poke in the eye at the SecAF, CSAF, CMSAF; whose only response (publicly) to the non-stop barrage was an "all-in" challenge to grow a mustache. Is that the best our senior leadership can offer???

For the record, I've always doubted that anyone (at anytime) honestly signed up with the full intention of doing 20 years (or more). Sure there might be 1 out of 1,000; but the vast majority (IMO) that say they joined to make it a career are just saying something they think is the right thing to say.

Second retiree bet: Pretty sure everyone who has ever worn a uniform has expressed at least one (if not more) of these same thoughts & opinions. Thanks to today's endless media access & folks' desire for 15 minutes of fame (Andy Warhol), these thoughts are now expressed en masse', rather than at the club on a Friday over beers.
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chief_KO View Post

Second retiree bet: Pretty sure everyone who has ever worn a uniform has expressed at least one (if not more) of these same thoughts & opinions. Thanks to today's endless media access & folks' desire for 15 minutes of fame (Andy Warhol), these thoughts are now expressed en masse', rather than at the club on a Friday over beers.
    Both my hands up to be counted.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    Both my hands up to be counted.
    I'm in the same boat; NCO Club, over beers, while watching the local exotic dancers, and not just on Friday nights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It stopped being fun when the gate guard would no longer let you through after he asked how much you had to drink tonight and you said "only 4 beers".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This article came out in last week's AF Times and since then I've been wondering who would be the first to post about it in here. There are a multitude of reasons that most of the fun has gone out of this job and to try to list them here would take the rest of the week. I think the fun has been slowly eroded by the nonstop ops tempo coupled with constant exercises which have little to do with the way we actually fight. An equally large multitude of policies which do not aid in the completion of the mission doesn’t help either (Read: the over-emphasis on PT). Compounding all this is the ever-shrinking manpower pool which forces those of us who opt to stay in to pick up the roles of those who are gone. You can do more with less only to a point, and that is a point which has long since been passed.
    I think to beat on this kid as a whiner or wimp is to completely miss what he is trying to say. It takes more than simple monetary compensation to turn a job into a career, it takes a genuine interest in and enjoyment of what you are doing. Much of what made being in the Air Force enjoyable has been slowly taken away by clueless leaders (i.e. the tater-tots major) and replaced with an environment that becomes less and less what anyone wants to be a part of. This is a downward spiral that must be addressed by a clear, unflinching look at what we are doing and why, coupled with a willingness to admit to our mistakes where they are made. To not act on this will be to allow the sort of people we want to keep in, just keep walking out the door. I wish this airman the best of luck in his life and I hope he finds what he is looking for.