Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on how to deal with a douche bag

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Need advice on how to deal with a douche bag

All,

Trends from this round of practice testing: People are getting lazy/complacent. Several of our 90's have fallen to the mid 80's, still passing but it means you will have an official twice per year instead of once (if this was an official).

One of our core values is excellence in all we do. If we shoot for the bear minimums, what happens when we have a "bad day" or get hurt? There is a strong likelihood of failing an easy test. This is why excelling in your workouts and exceeding the minimums is important.

If you want/need help with any portion of your workouts, there are several beasts in our flight you can ask and I'm sure they will help out.

Go get some, add buttons of flair to your workouts, train like we fight, and all that other hooplah.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: Need advice on how to deal with a douche bag

How do I deal with a douche bag like this? I am sorry I have been in the Air Force over 10 years and I will NEVER go all out on a practice PT test for which I can accidently injure myself. For the record this email is referring to two individuals who scored 85% which to me is still passing. I want to know how I can properly take this up the chain of command because this email actually offended me and was/is not the first type of email from this specific individual.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If this email offended you, I would get some professional help. While it may be on the bit hardcore side, nothing is offending in that email. Sounds like he is just challenging people to press their workouts which is always a good thing. Hit delete and carry on. Maybe grow a pair along the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowless View Post
    ...add buttons of flair to your workouts...
    Should become a motivational speaker.
    Must be nice to have breakfest with family....Maintenance guys have got it made-BRUWIN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Depending on who this e-mail came from (is it an OIC? PTL? NCOIC?) they could be the ones getting pressured by higher leadership to send this type of stuff out. I think way too much emphasis is put on supervisors and flights leaders to make sure that Airmen are excelling at PT, when it's already been established that the PT program is now an individual effort. That doesn't mean that people can't ask for help, but it does mean that people should be held accountable for their own shortfalls.

So, without a little more context I don't know that any of us could really offer you any advice on how to deal with a "douchebag" like this.
    Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't. -Pete Seeger

Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. -Arnold Palmer

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

How do I deal with a douche bag like this? I am sorry I have been in the Air Force over 10 years and I will NEVER go all out on a practice PT test for which I can accidently injure myself. For the record this email is referring to two individuals who scored 85% which to me is still passing. I want to know how I can properly take this up the chain of command because this email actually offended me and was/is not the first type of email from this specific individual.
    I am a bit of a PT Nazi, but I will set that aside for the moment to give you some very common sense advice.

Do not take this up the chain! I see no way for you to characterize your displeasure at this guy's email in a way that shows he did anything inappropriate.

If you are dead set on the idea of striking back at this so-called douche bag, I suggest you scour his email for any grammatical errors, then send him a friendly critique.

If he really did use the phrase "shooting at bear minimums" instead of "bare minimums" and some of the other poorly constructed phrases in his email, you do have an avenue to "put him in check," provided that you do it in a constructive manner.

First, start off your reply by saying that you whole heartedly agree with his message and that you appreciate his efforts to motivate the squadron; however, you are concerned that his message is getting lost because his email is so poorly crafted.

Explain that using the core value of "Excellence in all we do" in a shoddily crafted email is causing members of the squadron to laugh at him.

Tell him that when you heard people laughing at his email that it upset you a great deal, because you know that his message is one that needs to be heard. Close by offering him assistance in crafting future emails.

If successful, you will have inserted yourself in a position of power over this guy, and you will have editorial control of his future emails.

That will only work if his email was as bad as what you typed in, and you are capable of typing an email that is free of such poor usage of English. If your grammar also sucks, just print his email, and mark it up with a red pen, and then pull him aside for a face-to-face chat. Be forewarned, you'll need to be convincing that you are truly on his side and trying to help him.

Even if you aren't successful in getting editorial control over his emails, you will have him wondering if people are indeed laughing at him, and will have struck back at him in a way that doesn't make you look bad.

Now, I'll put my PT Nazi armband back on, and scold you for being lazy and complacent.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The problem I have with this email is one person in leadership is threatening to make everyome do group pt because of it.. ..And im confused because the people in question scored an 85 om their practice pt test...which is not even failing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

... This is why excelling in your workouts and exceeding the minimums is important. ...
    I'm not sure this guy qualifies as a "douche bag", unless the meaning of that word has morphed recently.

But, since when are scores in the "mid 80's" (sic) not considered, "...exceeding the minimums..."?
    "Every society honors its live conformists and its dead troublemakers."
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

The problem I have with this email is one person in leadership is threatening to make everyome do group pt because of it.. ..And im confused because the people in question scored an 85 om their practice pt test...which is not even failing.
    If your real beef is the possibility of having to do group PT, and you had this much trouble explaining it to us, I question your ability to raise a coherent objection to leadership.

I encourage you to warm up to the possibility of doing group PT. If you are unable to do that and find that you must raise an objection, don't do it via email.

How gifted are you at persuading people verbally? If you aren't very talented with the spoken word either, seek the advice of someone else in your unit who has the ability to speak convincingly, and take them to go have a talk with your Chief.

The douche bag argument can't be used; instead, you'll need to come up with more compelling reasons.

Still, I think you need to become comfortable with the idea of doing group PT, it's fun and it is good for you, embrace it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have to go Allen Iverson here, "This is practice. We ain't talking about a game, we're talking about, practice.
    "Wrong" is one of those concepts that requires witnesses. Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources