Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Engagement Traditions (rings, wedding costs etc)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Engagement Traditions (rings, wedding costs etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaken1976 View Post
    This girl. and yes...several of you called it.
    Are you going to buy him a gift that is as valuable as the ring that he bought for you? Just askin'.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Re: Guess who got a ring???

Quote Originally Posted by USN - Retired View Post
    Are you going to buy him a gift that is as valuable as the ring that he bought for you? Just askin'.
    Oh dear god...please don't start with your female bashing anti marriage drivel.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Oh dear god...please don't start with your female bashing anti marriage drivel.
    I'm not "female bashing". I just asked a question. Why does that question of mine bother you so much? Just askin'.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I'm not "female bashing". I just asked a question. Why does that question of mine bother you so much? Just askin'.
    USN....don't be passive-aggressive. There is no overwhelming tradition of a bride giving the groom (to-be) a present concurrently with the engagement ring so it is reasonable that SJ would think you had an agenda in asking the question.

Let's just be happy for Shaken. She was dealt a couple of shitty cards recently and deserves to be happy.

To paraphrase AA when he is channeling Rodney King....Can't we all just get along?

Speaking of which, anyone know what horrendous mortal sin SJ committed to get banned again and did anyone make the trip to Banned Camp with him?

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    USN....don't be passive-aggressive. There is no overwhelming tradition of a bride giving the groom (to-be) a present concurrently with the engagement ring so it is reasonable that SJ would think you had an agenda in asking the question.

Let's just be happy for Shaken. She was dealt a couple of shitty cards recently and deserves to be happy.

To paraphrase AA when he is channeling Rodney King....Can't we all just get along?

Speaking of which, anyone know what horrendous mortal sin SJ committed to get banned again and did anyone make the trip to Banned Camp with him?
    I think Peter Dow.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

USN....don't be passive-aggressive.
    Why not? I like to rock the boat.

There is no overwhelming tradition of a bride giving the groom (to-be) a present concurrently with the engagement ring...
    We all know the engagement tradition. The man spends many thousands of dollars on an engagement ring for the woman. The woman almost never reciprocates with a gift of similar value. That is the tradition and that tradition is very sexist. Have you ever noticed that women in general and feminist in particular hate all sexist traditions that are not beneficial to women, yet they never seem to complain about sexist traditions that are beneficial to women? It sounds like an example of hypocrisy to me. Do women want to end all sexism or just the sexism that is not beneficial to women? Just askin'.

Everyone deserves to be happy. Do we all need to ignore a sexist tradition in order for her to be happy?

...so it is reasonable that SJ would think you had an agenda in asking the question.
    Just because I have an "agenda" doesn't necessarily mean that my point is invalid.

I am not attacking Shaken1976 for accepting the engagement ring. That is the tradition. I am, however, questioning the tradition. I see nothing wrong with questioning that tradition, especially on an on-line forum.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Why not? I like to rock the boat.

We all know the engagement tradition. The man spends many thousands of dollars on an engagement ring for the woman. The woman almost never reciprocates with a gift of similar value. That is the tradition and that tradition is very sexist. Have you ever noticed that women in general and feminist in particular hate all sexist traditions that are not beneficial to women, yet they never seem to complain about sexist traditions that are beneficial to women? It sounds like an example of hypocrisy to me. Do women want to end all sexism or just the sexism that is not beneficial to women? Just askin'.

Everyone deserves to be happy. Do we all need to ignore a sexist tradition in order for her to be happy?

Just because I have an "agenda" doesn't necessarily mean that my point is invalid.

I am not attacking Shaken1976 for accepting the engagement ring. That is the tradition. I am, however, questioning the tradition. I see nothing wrong with questioning that tradition, especially on an on-line forum.

I get it and won't say your point is without merit but it does tend to attack Shaken even it that isn't your attempt.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I get it and won't say your point is without merit but it does tend to attack Shaken even it that isn't your attempt.
    Then I would like to reiterate,... I am not attacking Shaken1976 for accepting the engagement ring; however, I am questioning the tradition. So Shaken,... what engagement present will be giving to your future hubby? My recommendation: buy him a new sports car. You both can enjoy that gift.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Who is to say which traditions are valid?

I like to look at things from a much larger perspective. One day, far far in the future, the super massive black hole at the center of our galaxy will gobble up whatever is left of our planet and all of our atoms will be compacted into a super dense black void with the left over material being belched out in the form of a gamma ray burst.

Not to worry, by the time that happens our species will be long extinct, having been taken out by a near-earth-object, or the super flu, or any of the other numerous cosmic wild cards that can destroy us at a moments notice.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I'll go take a walk to contemplate what I'll have for dinner tonight while listening to "Dust in the Wind."

Oh!

Congratulations @ Shaken

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Her daddy pays for the wedding :-)