Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42

Thread: Engagement Traditions (rings, wedding costs etc)

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    crablackistan
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Guess who got a ring???

    afforums dot com.....better content these days, better moderation. You can actually speak your mind there too.

  2. #22
    Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    3,669
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

    Re: Guess who got a ring???

    Quote Originally Posted by mikezulu1 View Post
    afforums dot com.....better content these days, better moderation. You can actually speak your mind there too.
    I didn't see any posts from 2014 over there.

    EDIT:

    Plenty of current stuff... I was looking in the wrong section...

  3. #23
    Senior Member Shaken1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Somewhere out there
    Posts
    381
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Engagement Traditions (rings, wedding costs etc)

    Wow. I spend some time with my guy and come back to this.

    So in order to address a few things.
    1. I am not your typical female who demands anything. I did accept a ring. I also told him not to spend too much. I know he spent more than I would have liked.

    2. Yes he will be getting a gift though not a sports car. That is a little out of my price range. I actually have no Ida what to get him as there isn't much he wants. Maybe Lakers tickets? Nerf bars for the truck? Rims?

    3. We are paying for our own wedding. I wanted to keep it simple. But our parents are involved now.

    4. Yes I have been dealt some crappy hands. So has he. He has his crap together. He has an awesome job. He treats us better than I could ever have imagined.

    I am so happy. My ring doesn't have to be crazy expensive. He spoils the crap out of me and I do the same. But it isn't about money.

  4. #24
    Senior Member ChiefB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Far, West Texas
    Posts
    294
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Engagement Traditions (rings, wedding costs etc)

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaken1976 View Post
    Wow. I spend some time with my guy and come back to this.

    So in order to address a few things.
    1. I am not your typical female who demands anything. I did accept a ring. I also told him not to spend too much. I know he spent more than I would have liked.

    2. Yes he will be getting a gift though not a sports car. That is a little out of my price range. I actually have no Ida what to get him as there isn't much he wants. Maybe Lakers tickets? Nerf bars for the truck? Rims?

    3. We are paying for our own wedding. I wanted to keep it simple. But our parents are involved now.

    4. Yes I have been dealt some crappy hands. So has he. He has his crap together. He has an awesome job. He treats us better than I could ever have imagined.

    I am so happy. My ring doesn't have to be crazy expensive. He spoils the crap out of me and I do the same. But it isn't about money.
    Congratulations and the best of luck to you both.
    ChiefB

    It's the same in all wars, the very young and adventurous give up their lives for the old and cautious, and so the bluecollar for the privileged, the uneducated for the student, the poor for the well off, the patriot for the politician, and the few for the many.

    TC6, C5

  5. #25
    Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    3,669
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

    Re: Engagement Traditions (rings, wedding costs etc)

    @Shaken1976

    You should not worry about what has been said in this thread; nor should you worry about how you choose to observe tradition in your marriage.

    It seems to me, that the steadfast observance of tradition often causes much grief and anguish. Honor the tradition in your own way and don't look back.

    I firmly believe that our strength as a species is our adaptability, and that we all too often limit our potential by clinging to the past.

    Although our older generations hold knowledge of the past, we must never allow ourselves to be restricted by notions that are irrelevant to the present or future.

    If you want to honor those that have gone before you, I can see no better way than by adapting to the ever-changing present.

    In short, ceremony means little, and can largely be ignored. Be happy any enjoy your engagement and wedding how you see fit.

  6. #26
    Senior Member TJMAC77SP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,156
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Engagement Traditions (rings, wedding costs etc)

    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    @Shaken1976

    You should not worry about what has been said in this thread; nor should you worry about how you choose to observe tradition in your marriage.

    It seems to me, that the steadfast observance of tradition often causes much grief and anguish. Honor the tradition in your own way and don't look back.

    I firmly believe that our strength as a species is our adaptability, and that we all too often limit our potential by clinging to the past.

    Although our older generations hold knowledge of the past, we must never allow ourselves to be restricted by notions that are irrelevant to the present or future.

    If you want to honor those that have gone before you, I can see no better way than by adapting to the ever-changing present.

    In short, ceremony means little, and can largely be ignored. Be happy any enjoy your engagement and wedding how you see fit.
    What he said except that by honoring the past we set an anchor point to the future. To continually change with the wind (such as the history of the USAF in the past 20 years) means that nothing become really important and that situational ethics can rule the day. It's a balancing act and as I believe AA's message states, do what you need to do to be happy and ignore the rest of us.
    ___________________
    Read carefully, think, then write thoughtfully……………………………..

    I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

  7. #27
    Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    3,669
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

    Re: Engagement Traditions (rings, wedding costs etc)

    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    What he said except that by honoring the past we set an anchor point to the future. To continually change with the wind (such as the history of the USAF in the past 20 years) means that nothing become really important and that situational ethics can rule the day. It's a balancing act and as I believe AA's message states, do what you need to do to be happy and ignore the rest of us.
    LOL!

    Leave it to @TJMAC77SP to detect my thinly veiled narrative on the course of AF policy since the end of the Cold War.

    I support being adaptive, and I truly wish that young @Shaken1976 is able to find balance and happiness in her personal affairs.

    @TJMAC77SP

    Perhaps we need to create another thread that talks about embracing reality, vice clinging to the past?

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    248
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Engagement Traditions (rings, wedding costs etc)

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaken1976 View Post
    Wow. I spend some time with my guy and come back to this.

    So in order to address a few things.
    1. I am not your typical female who demands anything. I did accept a ring. I also told him not to spend too much. I know he spent more than I would have liked.

    2. Yes he will be getting a gift though not a sports car. That is a little out of my price range. I actually have no Ida what to get him as there isn't much he wants. Maybe Lakers tickets? Nerf bars for the truck? Rims?

    3. We are paying for our own wedding. I wanted to keep it simple. But our parents are involved now.

    4. Yes I have been dealt some crappy hands. So has he. He has his crap together. He has an awesome job. He treats us better than I could ever have imagined.

    I am so happy. My ring doesn't have to be crazy expensive. He spoils the crap out of me and I do the same. But it isn't about money.
    Congrats Shaken and I think it's great your parents are involved!

  9. #29
    Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    3,669
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

    Re: Engagement Traditions (rings, wedding costs etc)

    Quote Originally Posted by retiredAFcivvy View Post
    Congrats Shaken and I think it's great your parents are involved!
    No!

    Pay much more attention to your children, yours and his, they have more at stake than your parents, or his do...

    Focus on the future, not the past...

  10. #30
    Senior Member TJMAC77SP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,156
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Engagement Traditions (rings, wedding costs etc)

    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    @TJMAC77SP

    Perhaps we need to create another thread that talks about embracing reality, vice clinging to the past?
    Naaaaa, can sum it up here in one sentence......................Use objective descriptors and do neither to excess.
    ___________________
    Read carefully, think, then write thoughtfully……………………………..

    I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •