Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Engagement Traditions (rings, wedding costs etc)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Re: Guess who got a ring???

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    Her daddy pays for the wedding :-)
    MM strikes again............

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    Her daddy pays for the wedding :-)
    So,... the groom pays for the engagement ring for the bride....

And the bride's daddy pays for the wedding (unless they get married at city hall)....

And the bride does not pay for anything.

Feminists should be appalled at that sexist tradition, but they're not. Why aren't they appalled? Just askin'.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    MM strikes again............
    The only thing that MM did was send the bill for the wedding to the bride's daddy.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by USN - Retired View Post

And the bride's daddy pays for the wedding (unless they get married at city hall)....

Feminists should be appalled at that sexist tradition, but they're not. Why aren't they appalled? Just askin'.
    I can't speak for feminists.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Since you can apparently read their minds, why don't you tell us?

Seriously, how do you know what they think on this issue?

BTW, as others have hinted, great way to rain on Shaken's parade.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    Since you can apparently read their minds, why don't you tell us?

Seriously, how do you know what they think on this issue?

The subject has been discussed by feminists, and they have posted their thoughts on the internet. While a small number of feminist have questioned the idea of the "engagement ring" tradition and some are even opposed to the "engagement ring" tradition, the topic is obviously not one of their major issues. Feminists have a reputation of being very vocal about situations that they don't like. They're definitely not known for shyness. Since we rarely hear any complaints from the feminists about the "engagement ring" tradition, then it is safe to assume that they don't have a major problem with that tradition. Have you ever heard any complaints from the feminists about the "engagement ring" tradition?

Here are some interesting articles about the "engagement ring" tradition from the feminist perspective.

http://www.rolereboot.org/culture-an...gs-new-meaning
    http://www.swsl.org.uk/post/23101206...ngagementrings
    http://thefeministmystique.blogspot....ment-ring.html

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    BTW, as others have hinted, great way to rain on Shaken's parade.
    Me? Rain on Shaken's parade? How did I do that? Are we only supposed to post happy thoughts on this forum? Which question of mine on this thread was an unfair question? If you can't handle reality and tough questions, then you shouldn't log on to the internet.

While I do consider the "engagement ring" tradition to be an interesting subject to discuss, I strongly suspect that this subject is just too much for you to handle emotionally. You should go back to your TV and watch your Disney cartoon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

This topic reminds me of a song...

Retired
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Me? Rain on Shaken's parade? How did I do that?
    Instead of just saying congratulations and having a moment of happy empathy for someone, you started this entire rant.

Are we only supposed to post happy thoughts on this forum? Which question of mine on this thread was an unfair question? If you can't handle reality and tough questions, then you shouldn't log on to the internet.

While I do consider the "engagement ring" tradition to be an interesting subject to discuss, I strongly suspect that this subject is just too much for you to handle emotionally. You should go back to your TV and watch your Disney cartoon.
    Here's some tough reality for you to deal with. Your being intentionally insulting and asinine. Welcome to banned camp.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

The subject has been discussed by feminists, and they have posted their thoughts on the internet. While a small number of feminist have questioned the idea of the "engagement ring" tradition and some are even opposed to the "engagement ring" tradition, the topic is obviously not one of their major issues. Feminists have a reputation of being very vocal about situations that they don't like. They're definitely not known for shyness. Since we rarely hear any complaints from the feminists about the "engagement ring" tradition, then it is safe to assume that they don't have a major problem with that tradition. Have you ever heard any complaints from the feminists about the "engagement ring" tradition?

Here are some interesting articles about the "engagement ring" tradition from the feminist perspective.

http://www.rolereboot.org/culture-an...gs-new-meaning
    http://www.swsl.org.uk/post/23101206...ngagementrings
    http://thefeministmystique.blogspot....ment-ring.html

Me? Rain on Shaken's parade? How did I do that? Are we only supposed to post happy thoughts on this forum? Which question of mine on this thread was an unfair question? If you can't handle reality and tough questions, then you shouldn't log on to the internet.

Good God Allmighty....................while I am sure USN has some serious issues with women in general what in the HELL did he get banned for?...............John Wayne's drunken words are repeating over and over in my mind.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    Instead of just saying congratulations and having a moment of happy empathy for someone, you started this entire rant.

Here's some tough reality for you to deal with. Your being intentionally insulting and asinine. Welcome to banned camp.
    I thought the board was satisfactorily dealing with USN-Retired and although this venue may not have been the most appropriate for his discussion he could have been asked to move it to another. Instead he receives a public written tongue lashing and is accused of being "insulting and asinine" and is banned.

The guys and gals on these boards have thicker skin than you might surmise and can deal quite well with most problem posters. Preemptive strikes by moderators seem to be more the norm, lately and the forums are showing less and less participation by the most interesting, entertaining and informed of our community.

Additionally, since you have deemed it appropriate to berate suspected bad actors openly you might keep it in mind that we do not come to these threads to witness public moderator ridicule or demeaning of our contemporaries, the good, the bad or the asinine.
    ChiefB

It's the same in all wars, the very young and adventurous give up their lives for the old and cautious, and so the bluecollar for the privileged, the uneducated for the student, the poor for the well off, the patriot for the politician, and the few for the many.

TC6, C5