Thread: Official: Mahan Sailor Shot Intruder

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Re: Official: Mahan Sailor Shot Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post

Infantry training is probably the most effective of the two,
    In a combat environment, yes!

In the food court at the PX or another location with an inordinate amount of non-combatants about, I think most police officers are trained a little better at how to avoid killing innocents.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    It's kind of like the disclaimer before watching a TV show where people perform stunts: Don't try this at home. Leave it to the professionals.
    Exactly! Perhaps what disturbs me most is the people I hear advocating right-to-carry because it would deter or stop mass shooters are in essence asking for police powers.

If a person wants to carry a fire arm and fight crime so badly, I suggest they join a police department.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TomTom093 View Post
    Another factor to consider with a military population is some members are going to have PTSD. Do we let them have firearms? Does their PTSD disqualify them? If it's the former, that can create a situation where somebody flies off the handle and someone ends up dead. If it's the latter, that creates a separate class of citizens with less rights than others. I don't think either are good options.

Commenting on an earlier discussion in this thread, we really do need combatives taught
    . I've had three instances myself where I've been off base in uniform, and someone has come up to me and asked why I would want to be in an organization that "wants to take guns and spy on people." Those situations could have gotten much worse than they did.
    I'll agree with you on this, I think service-wide we could incorporate at least a basic amount of self defense training into physical fitness.

As discussed earlier there are some jobs that need it more than others and for it to be effective, it needs to be reoccurring.

If a service member is being tasked with guard duty and issued a weapon, they need to be trained not only how to use it, but how to keep from having it taken from them.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    I'll agree with you on this, I think service-wide we could incorporate at least a basic amount of self defense training into physical fitness.

As discussed earlier there are some jobs that need it more than others and for it to be effective, it needs to be reoccurring.

If a service member is being tasked with guard duty and issued a weapon, they need to be trained not only how to use it, but how to keep from having it taken from them.
    The Army and Marines teach combatives in bootcamp and it is part of their doctrine. The Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard don't unless you are working as part of law enforcement capacity, or SEAL. The training would benefit all of the other members working in support roles and other communities like submarine, aviation and seabees.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by socal1200r View Post
    I had a co-worker ask my opinion the other day about what would be a good firearm for home defense, and he mentioned 9mm, 40, and a 45. I told him the best one is the one he's the most comfortable shooting, practices with, and will be able to hit the target under stress, the caliber doesn't really matter (although having more rounds could make up for being a poor shot). And I'm also a firm believer that the primary job of law enforcement is NOT to protect you the citizen, it's to enforce the laws. As the old saying goes, "when seconds count, the police are only minutes away." YOU are responsible for your own personal protection and safety, both inside and outside the home.

And I'd probably agree with you, statistically-speaking, that if we allowed military members to carry on base, there would be a higher incident of accidental (or intentional) discharges than victims of another Fort Hood-style shooting. My Air Guard unit did airport security at LAX for several months after 9/11, and I distinctly remember a report about an accidental discharge of a pistol at one of the other airports. It was an Army Guard NCO who did this, and for it to occur, he had to violate all kinds of proper firearm handling procedures. One, he had a round in the chamber. Two, he had the pistol's safety off. Three, he had his finger on the trigger. All three of these violations had to occur for him to accidentally discharge that firearm. Could something like this happen if we allow military members to carry on base? Absolutely. But should the small percentage of knuckleheads that don't know or won't follow proper firearms procedures prevent the other 99 percent of military members (especially those with a CCW permit) from carrying on base? I would say no, but it's not up to me to decide.
    That's why the Security officer at my last command said there is no such thing as an accidental discharge of a firearm, just Negligent use of it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    Well said.

I often struggle with where and what the lines should be on gun control.

I remember having a conversation with a friend who is a big gun fantatic. I mentioned that my neighbor had a LOT of guns, and he often had his friends over who brought their guns and they would talk about guns and look at guns, etc. They would go to the range and shoot a LOT. So, he said this was awesome that my neighbors are 2nd Amendment Americans and I was safer for it.

Then I mentioned my neighbor and his friends were all Muslim-Americans...
    Oops.............

((and a hush fell over the room))

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Wonder what his reaction would be if instead of being Muslim-Americans, they were red necks from W. Virginia.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BURAWSKI View Post
    Wonder what his reaction would be if instead of being Muslim-Americans, they were red necks from W. Virginia.
    Those guys can be a real pain in the ass, the smell of fried bologna sandwiches drifting out their windows amid the warbling cries of Billy Ray Cyrus music is enough drive anyone crazy.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    Oops.............

((and a hush fell over the room))
    Makes you wonder if there's a motive behind their outspokenness on the 2nd Amendment.

Or, perhaps... this country being one that's founded on rebellion, Americans just wouldn't be Americans without something to protest. Even if that something isn't there. Like the threat of an all-out gun confiscation.

"Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

The SECNAV announced that MA2 Mayo will receive the Navy & Marine Corps Medal (posthumously).

Navy Times: http://www.navytimes.com/article/201...-heroism-medal