Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article......IG: Academy informant's expulsion not tied to work with OSI

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Article......IG: Academy informant's expulsion not tied to work with OSI

Is anyone else greatly troubled by these two statements and the slim possibility of any real criminal investigations being conducted involving the USAFA cadet wing in the future?

“Academy Superintendent Lt. Gen. Michelle Johnson announced in December she would personally oversee any use of the informant program “with my long term intent to eliminate the need for cadet Confidential Informants in the cadet wing.”

“The report, while acknowledging the controversy surrounding the cadet informant program, also defended it. OSI agents wouldn’t get any information at all from inside the cadet wing without cadet informants, it stated.”

Reminds me of the support provided by a former AF Times columnist, Harry Summers provided to a female navy officer who refused to provide a urine sample for drug screening because officer monitors were not provided. Summers believed that (upholding the memory of Chester Nimitz….I shit you not, he invoked Nimitz’s name) she should not even be tested and her word as an officer merely taken that she didn’t use illegal drugs.

Seems the old mindset remains with some. There certainly couldn’t be any criminal behavior within the cadet wing of the US Air Force Academy. By God, that’s just not possible. OSI has no need of informants there.

[EMBEDDED LINK REMOVED]

EDIT: HEY MODERATORS................THE DASTERDLY EMBEDDED LINK WAS TO AN AIR FORCE TIMES ARTICLE............................REGODDAMNNEDICU LOUS !!

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Article......IG: Academy informant's expulsion not tied to work with OSI

I believed that the whole AFA informant program was BS and was teaching officers mistrust right from the get go...but after hearing that I've changed my mind.
    "Respect My Authoritah!" - Eric Cartman

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

I think that what it's saying is that she hopes, by using the current program properly, she can get rid of the need for it altogether by getting rid of all the problems.

I read it as a goal, which I'm sure she knows can never be achieved. But what's she supposed to say, really? We are preaching the goal of zero incidents. If that's the case, then she must sound optimistic in her statements.

Not sure she's saying that the cadets will ever be good enough for this to happen...just that it would be the ideal situation...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

This is the same organization that took months and months (and $$ and $$) to decide what to replace the "Bring Me Men" quote from the student ramp...and after much consternation settled on the USAF Core Values...

Do the zoomies still track their female conquests via Chiquita Banana stickers inside their parade hats?

All the talk of budget cuts, sequestration, downsizing...not a peep on combing service academies...THAT would be a heavyweight, nuclear, MMA, WWE, steel-cage death match of truly Biblical proportions!!!!!
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

This is the same organization that took months and months (and $$ and $$) to decide what to replace the "Bring Me Men" quote from the student ramp...and after much consternation settled on the USAF Core Values...

Do the zoomies still track their female conquests via Chiquita Banana stickers inside their parade hats?

All the talk of budget cuts, sequestration, downsizing...not a peep on combing service academies...THAT would be a heavyweight, nuclear, MMA, WWE, steel-cage death match of truly Biblical proportions!!!!!
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    I think that what it's saying is that she hopes, by using the current program properly, she can get rid of the need for it altogether by getting rid of all the problems.

I read it as a goal, which I'm sure she knows can never be achieved. But what's she supposed to say, really? We are preaching the goal of zero incidents. If that's the case, then she must sound optimistic in her statements.

Not sure she's saying that the cadets will ever be good enough for this to happen...just that it would be the ideal situation...
    I was a cop far too long to believe that a zero incident level will ever be reached. I don't believe crime is rampant or anything close but what the Supt has essentially said is that she feels it is within her job description to interfere with criminal investigations. Commanders are briefed on criminal investigations by OSI, they don't oversee them.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lieutenants that came out of the Academy are some of the most socially awkward people you will ever meet. They didn't have that "true" college experience so they didn't get to really let loose, learn from their mistakes, and mature (even if a little) through their college years like the rest of those that went to college. So you get these 2nd LTs fresh out of the Academy that are living on their own and are free for really the first time in their lives. Socially, they are about 4-5 years behind the LTs that came in through OTS or ROTC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wxjumper View Post
    Lieutenants that came out of the Academy are some of the most socially awkward people you will ever meet. They didn't have that "true" college experience so they didn't get to really let loose, learn from their mistakes, and mature (even if a little) through their college years like the rest of those that went to college. So you get these 2nd LTs fresh out of the Academy that are living on their own and are free for really the first time in their lives. Socially, they are about 4-5 years behind the LTs that came in through OTS or ROTC.
    Yup, saw it all the time when training lieutenants to become SIGINT officers. The Academy grads were the least rounded compared to ROTC/OTS products.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wxjumper View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OtisRNeedleman View Post
    Yup, saw it all the time when training lieutenants to become SIGINT officers. The Academy grads were the least rounded compared to ROTC/OTS products.
    Female LTs fresh out of the USAFA are also very easy to pickings. I recall a female Academy 2LT at Robins who was oh so bold as to come to the dorms for some action.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bullshit. No organization should be exempt from any investigative or inspection agency that the rest of us are subject to. It would be like having a unit exempt from urinalysis because, "No one here smokes pot." I was actually part of a "special" unit that was exempt for a long time from AF inspections and fitness tests. It wasn't the right thing.