Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fred Phelps dies

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Fred Phelps dies

Good riddance!

Fred Phelps -- the founding pastor of a Kansas church known for its virulently anti-gay protests at public events, including military funerals -- has died, the church said Thursday.

The 84-year-old died Wednesday, according to the church's statement.

Phelps founded Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kansas, in 1955 and molded it in his fire-and-brimstone image. Many members of the small congregation are related to Phelps through blood or marriage.

According to the church's website, it has picketed more than 53,000 events, ranging from Lady Gaga concerts to funerals for slain U.S. soldiers. Typically, a dozen or so church members -- including small children -- will brandish signs that say "God Hates Fags" and "Thank God for Dead Soldiers."

Under Phelps' leadership, Westboro members have preached that every calamity, from natural disasters to the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, is God's punishment for the country's acceptance of homosexuality. Phelps had advocated for gays and lesbians to be put to death.

Anti-gay preacher once fought for civil rights

In 2013, more than 367,000 petitioners called on the White House to legally recognize Westboro Baptist Church as a hate group. The White House called Westboro's protests "reprehensible" but said that "as a matter of practice, the federal government doesn't maintain a list of hate groups."

In 2011, the Supreme Court upheld Westboro's right to picket military funerals on free speech grounds. Congress and several states, though, have passed laws aimed at keeping church members at a distance from funerals.

Nathan Phelps, Phelps' estranged son, posted a Facebook message March 15 saying that his father had been excommunicated from the church. Later, though, Nathan Phelps said it was "unclear" whether his father had been expelled from Westboro.

readmore: http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/20/us/wes...ead/index.html

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Re: Fred Phelps dies

True Karma would be a massive demonstration at his funeral with all sorts of vile signs on display.....................................

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    True Karma would be a massive demonstration at his funeral with all sorts of vile signs on display.....................................
    I thought the same thing. We really ought to picket his funeral as see how they like it when the shoe is on the other foot.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by technomage1 View Post
    I thought the same thing. We really ought to picket his funeral as see how they like it when the shoe is on the other foot.
    I'm thinking a big gay BBQ.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And no one cries...
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." ~ Thomas Jefferson

It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.
    James Madison

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Hey Fred, do you "feel the burn?"
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Newbie - (Restricted)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We attended a funeral in 2007 for a soldier killed in action (name and location intentionally left out) and hate to say I thought if these folks were picketing, I would try to pick a lighter on the floorboard that "accidentally" fell and I would "accidentally" hit them when the car swerved. Not proud of these thoughts, but it is the truth.

Should we celebrate his death? I don't know. Part of me wishes he rots in hell. If there is a God, and I believe there is, maybe it is up to him to decide.

Maybe we should just enjoy the silence his death brings.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Na.. picket the heck out of his funeral.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Heard his daughter on the radio that there will be no service, no funeral, no eulogy, no nothing...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    Heard his daughter on the radio that there will be no service, no funeral, no eulogy, no nothing...
    I imagine that's to avoid what would inevitable result, true or not!
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." ~ Thomas Jefferson

It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.
    James Madison