Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Now gays are ok, what about Transgendered troops??

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Now gays are ok, what about Transgendered troops??

Saw this in my email basket today, about a CA panel calling on President Obama to lift the ban on transgendered troops to serve, joining the supposed dozens of other countries which already allow it.

My big issue with that is there is a host of questions that need to be answered before any ban is lifted.

A) If a guy going to a gal is pre op, can he/she be deployed while awaiting surgery/taking their meds? What of the reverse (a gal going to guy)?

B) What "Berthing/head/shower" facilities would they use? Men's or womens? Should it be like Ca has ruled for schools in that they should use the ones they "ID with" rather than what medically they are?

C) What of Uniform requirements (and therefore uniform allowance)? Would a Guy going to Gal be required to have the Male uniform issuance, or the female one?

D) The obvious one of PT/Fitness. Would they use the male PT chart or the female one?
    Does that matter if its pre op or post?

E) Health and welfare issues, do they need to remain stateside to be close to their docs and psychotherapists? What of the "women's wellness days" would a guy going to a gal be required/get to attend those? What of a gal going to a guy?

F) What of leave for kids? WOuld it be under the rules for Maternity leave or Paternity? Since even IVF can't give them a kid, they would have to go the route of adoption, should they even GET maternity/paternity leave?

What other issues do you see cropping up?

http://www.gopusa.com/news/2014/03/1.../?subscriber=1

http://www.towleroad.com/2014/03/pan...rvice-ban.html

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/201.../#.UyNHWhDNJDk

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/nati...e778498c0.html

http://www.advocate.com/politics/tra...nder-personnel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Now gays are ok, what about Transgendered troops??

I don't think it'll make it too far. It was only a small commision from CA, but remember this...

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/07/us/transgender-veteran/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    My big issue with that is there is a host of questions that need to be answered before any ban is lifted
    If the repeal of DADT taught us anything is that the "host of questions and issues" amounts to very little...and most of them are best handled at the local level.

That said, I'm not jumping on the "repeal the ban of transgender" campaign just yet...I just don't know about that.

Interestingly enough, at my work we recently had an employee come out as transgender, within about a month or so began presenting as a woman (read: wearing women's clothing/wig). So far, no issues.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Do they use the guys or gals restroom?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Do they use the guys or gals restroom?
    Our employee, once she started presenting as a woman began using the woman's restroom, to my knowledge. I don't think I've seen her actually go in there, though. I do not monitor potty breaks.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Since even IVF can't give them a kid, they would have to go the route of adoption, should they even GET maternity/paternity leave?
    Adoptive parents can already apply for a 'paternity' type leave and get up to 21 days of that leave reimbursed once adoption is finalized.

So, if transgendered individuals are allowed to stay in the military and do adopt a child, why should they NOT get it?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stalwart View Post
    Adoptive parents can already apply for a 'paternity' type leave and get up to 21 days of that leave reimbursed once adoption is finalized.

So, if transgendered individuals are allowed to stay in the military and do adopt a child, why should they NOT get it?
    That was more towards would they be counted as a mom or dad for how long they get (since i didn't bother checking to see if there IS a difference in days or not)..

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

That was more towards would they be counted as a mom or dad for how long they get (since i didn't bother checking to see if there IS a difference in days or not)..
    Ah.

For adoption, there really isn't 'maternity' leave since the adoptive mother does not physically give birth so is not eligible for convalescent leave. However, the MILPERSMAN authorizes up to 21 days of reimbursable leave to a military member (regardless of gender) to allow for bonding and the various 'housekeeping' things that come along with finalizing an adoption (medical, getting child into DEERS, etc.) I took more than that but was not charged for the first 21 days.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

D) The obvious one of PT/Fitness. Would they use the male PT chart or the female one?
    Does that matter if its pre op or post?
    And, if individuals are allowed to "self identify" then can anybody with a penis (I won't use the term male in order to not offend anyone) identify as a female in order to ease the standards? Or, as you said, does it have to be post-op?

Let's take it further. What if I choose to not identify as either male or female? What if I had my genitals removed but didn't go as far as to make me female? Will there be different PT standards for that?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Measure Man View Post
    Our employee, once she started presenting as a woman began using the woman's restroom, to my knowledge. I don't think I've seen her actually go in there, though. I do not monitor potty breaks.
    Does "she" get to PT under female standards. "She" should, since "she" is obviously female. Can "she" grow her hair to female standards? Wear the female stripes? If not, the "she" should not be using the female bathroom.