Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gay Couples at Awards Ceremonies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Gay Couples at Awards Ceremonies

Let me preface this thread by stating that I am neither for or against gay marriage and could care less either way. That is not what this topic is about.

However, I attended an annual awards ceremony recently where several of the couples being introduced (nominees) were same sex couples including at least one mil to mil couple. I'll be honest, I was personally not expecting it and was shocked at myself for being as taken aback as I was given this "new" climate we live in. 14 years of monkey see monkey do I guess...

As an avid people watcher though, I couldn't help but notice the obvious cringing and disapproval on the faces of many in attendance...especially the older generations. No one got out of line and all kept military bearing including the same sex couples but you could tell there was a "tension" in the air.

Has anyone else experienced reactions like this (or worse) at official functions recently since DADT was repealed?

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Re: Gay Couples at Awards Ceremonies

It sounds like part of the healing process to me, people will adapt.

I never liked how spouses are always touted at those functions any way. That is probably what led to the advent of those horrendous tee-shirts that proclaim, "Military Wife, Toughest Job in the Military!"

I would have liked to have been there to see the tension that you described.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    It sounds like part of the healing process to me, people will adapt.

I never liked how spouses are always touted at those functions any way. That is probably what led to the advent of those horrendous tee-shirts that proclaim, "Military Wife, Toughest Job in the Military!"

I would have liked to have been there to see the tension that you described.
    Yeah, that's why you would have liked to be there...

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Yeah, that's why you would have liked to be there...
    That and the chance to mingle with some hip and trendy gay couples.

As a group, gays tend to be fastidious about their uniforms and very attentive to their physical fitness.

I can relate to that aspect of gay culture, and think they have a lot to offer the military.

None of that constant chugging of chocolate Yoohoo, while chomping mouthfuls of beef jerky from gay guys, no sir! It's all mineral water and celery stalks with them, you have to respect that.

I think the military will adapt and the tension, Kermit the Ripcord, spoke of will pass soon enough.

Once leadership sees that your average gay NCO can out perform the stereotypical crusty NCO while looking 1000 times sharper in uniform, those tensions will melt away.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I haven't seen it yet, but as a retiree I don't go to too many events.

Reminds though of an ALS Chiefs panel about 4 years ago, one of the SrA asked the question about gays in the military. There were 4 of us Chiefs on the panel. The first to answer was a VERY religious male. He was dead set against it, even stating that he would retire if that happens. The other 3 of us were okay with it so long as the same standards of conduct applied to everyone.

Flash forward 4 years...Chief #1 did not retire. Maybe he had a change in heart???
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was in the base post office, and there was this E5 male talking to an E6 female in line behind him. This guy couldn't have been more gay, I mean from the limp wrists to the lisps, and his conversation about his boyfriend, etc. I was in civilian clothes, but was SO tempted to tell this guy to shut up.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

I think the military will adapt and the tension, Kermit the Ripcord, spoke of will pass soon enough.
    I don't know about that. Fat ugly 300+ pound dependapotamuses (or is it dependapotami?) of STRAIGHT military members have been around since 1775, yet to this day they still never cease to amaze us.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    I don't know about that. Fat ugly 300+ pound dependapotamuses (or is it dependapotami?) of STRAIGHT military members have been around since 1775, yet to this day they still never cease to amaze us.
    I'm not sure I understand.

Do you mean the dependapotami will try to defend their turf against the gay spouses?

Perhaps, but I predict they will be solidly defeated. What type of domestic clout do the dependapotami have to fall back on?

Hamburger Helper recipes and Shake n Bake?

The gay spouses will fly rings around around the average "Rice Krispy Treat" baking cow that you see at the commissary.

In terms of house keeping and room decor, the wife of a country music listener will also be at a serious disadvantage to a gay spouse. Glow in the dark murals of eagles and mountain lions are no match for some basic art deco styling.

If I could trade "country music" service members for gay service members, I would in a flash.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Do you mean the dependapotami will try to defend their turf against the gay spouses?

Perhaps, but I predict they will be solidly defeated. What type of domestic clout do the dependapotami have to fall back on?

The gay spouses will fly rings around around the average "Rice Krispy Treat" baking cow that you see at the commissary.

In terms of house keeping and room decor, the wife of a country music listener will also be at a serious disadvantage to a gay spouse. Glow in the dark murals of eagles and mountain lions are not match for some basic art deco styling.

If I could trade "country music" service members for gay service members, I would in a flash.
    I think you are underestimating the country dependapotami. Didn't you here what Carrie Underwood did to her cheating boyfriend? And he don't know...

That I dug my key into the side
    of his pretty little souped up 4 wheel drive,
    carved my name into his leather seats...
    I took a Louisville slugger to both headlights,
    slashed a hole in all 4 tires...
    Maybe next time he'll think before he cheats

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

In terms of house keeping and room decor, the wife of a country music listener will also be at a serious disadvantage to a gay spouse. Glow in the dark murals of eagles and mountain lions are not match for some basic art deco styling.

Just can't help yourself can you?

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself