Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Army ribbon (perhaps DoD wide)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another Army ribbon (perhaps DoD wide)

Who thinks it is a good idea to now get a "Retirement" ribbon than the coveted MSM

http://www.armytimes.com/article/201...irement-Medal-

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Re: Another Army ribbon (perhaps DoD wide)

As an Army retiree, I have no particular objection other than the proposed precedence of 2nd only the MOH. I really like the suggestion in one of the comments that we could simply authorize a numeral device on the Army Service Ribbon. I will never wear the uniform again, so I have little use for another medal. I will sleep soundly every night with or without it.
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

A ribbon that you'll never wear? Yeah, that makes sense.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    A ribbon that you'll never wear? Yeah, that makes sense.

Exactly. It's funny how many people I seen pissed off because they weren't getting an MSM when they retired. Makes me laugh every time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Exactly. It's funny how many people I seen pissed off because they weren't getting an MSM when they retired. Makes me laugh every time.
    To some the medal itself may not matter. The retirement certificate and letters from the CMSAF & CINC simply recognize and thank you for your long service. The medal's accompanying citation is official recognition of the accomplishments and job performance over one's career. Some people look forward to having their family hear about what they've done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not going to run down SFC Janotta, 20 (or 25 in his case) is a long time.

I don't agree that it's needed. A retiree is recognized with a retirement certificate, plus numerous letters, usually a shadow box, more often than not a retirement decoration. This would eliminate the age-old argument over the level of decoration for retirement.

I don't agree it should be higher in precedence than the Service Cross/Silver Star. Anything that is presented for "gallantry and bravery" trumps hanging in for 20.

Lapel pin? Got one! Blue-ID? Oh yeah! AF Retiree hat? Got two!
    "Wrong" is one of those concepts that requires witnesses. Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo432 View Post
    A retiree is recognized with a retirement certificate, plus numerous letters, usually a shadow box, more often than not a retirement decoration.
    Completely concur.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo432 View Post
    I don't agree it should be higher in precedence than the Service Cross/Silver Star. Anything that is presented for "gallantry and bravery" trumps hanging in for 20.
    Exactly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by efmbman View Post
    As an Army retiree, I have no particular objection other than the proposed precedence of 2nd only the MOH. I really like the suggestion in one of the comments that we could simply authorize a numeral device on the Army Service Ribbon. I will never wear the uniform again, so I have little use for another medal. I will sleep soundly every night with or without it.

I think that is an excellent idea to do something with one of those easily "give me" medals that you earn right after Basic and AIT. Yes, this medal, will be something that you will get and not really worn since you are retiring but I am curious to know how many retirees do wear their class A uniforms afterwards?

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 360BHR View Post
    To some the medal itself may not matter. The retirement certificate and letters from the CMSAF & CINC simply recognize and thank you for your long service. The medal's accompanying citation is official recognition of the accomplishments and job performance over one's career. Some people look forward to having their family hear about what they've done.
    Since he didn't get one they are all dumb.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    Since he didn't get one they are all dumb.
    Great point.