Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Leave question

  1. #1
    Retired
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    MTF - HQ
    Posts
    244
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Leave question

    I am pretty sure most work centers do leave like we do.. there is a calendar and you request your time off. Then he supervisor initials and dates it. We do ours on Outlook. My question for you is this...

    Do you think leave should be first come first serve? Let's say that the same person takes leave over each school holiday year after year...but puts the leave in several months in advance...as soon as they see the school calendar.

    Do you think the supervisor should let them know that they need to give others a chance to take leave for school breaks? Should they stick to the first come first serve rule? What if it is several people who do this each time? Do you think others should learn and put their stuff in early?

  2. #2
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

    Re: Leave question

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCross View Post
    I am pretty sure most work centers do leave like we do.. there is a calendar and you request your time off. Then he supervisor initials and dates it. We do ours on Outlook. My question for you is this...

    Do you think leave should be first come first serve? Let's say that the same person takes leave over each school holiday year after year...but puts the leave in several months in advance...as soon as they see the school calendar.

    Do you think the supervisor should let them know that they need to give others a chance to take leave for school breaks? Should they stick to the first come first serve rule? What if it is several people who do this each time? Do you think others should learn and put their stuff in early?
    Guess it depends on the shop. Does your shop only allow one person on leave at a time?

    I think it's ok to have your shop project dates ahead of time. I don't think it's ok to stick strictly to that calendar. It's more of a heads up than anything else.

  3. #3
    Senior Member LogDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Somewhere, Ca
    Posts
    810
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Leave question

    Leave should be dependent upon mission requirements. As for scheduling leave, each shop has it's own rules. If your shop requires you to project your leave months in advance then they should have a deadline for submission of leave requests. The deadline will give supervisors a chance to view and weigh everyone's requests and to resolve problems with conflicting leave requests.

  4. #4
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

    Re: Leave question

    Just remember that the leave CANNOT be denied, unless mission dictates. Even if it's not "projected" it is owed to the person. And there are very few things that the IG considers "mission essential" when it comes to denying it.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, ohio
    Posts
    3,337
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

    Re: Leave question

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCross View Post
    I am pretty sure most work centers do leave like we do.. there is a calendar and you request your time off. Then he supervisor initials and dates it. We do ours on Outlook. My question for you is this...

    Do you think leave should be first come first serve? Let's say that the same person takes leave over each school holiday year after year...but puts the leave in several months in advance...as soon as they see the school calendar.

    Do you think the supervisor should let them know that they need to give others a chance to take leave for school breaks? Should they stick to the first come first serve rule? What if it is several people who do this each time? Do you think others should learn and put their stuff in early?
    I much prefer a first come first serve for leave way of doing things, otherwise you get into instances where the boss man gives more credence to 'those with family' over those who are single (and yes i have seen it). At least with first come first serve, everyone has an equal opportunity to get theirs in first.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Korea
    Posts
    170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Leave question

    In Korea we had to project out to make sure we had the manning. Stateside I have never run into this issue but I still say its first come first served. Reguardless if the issue is that you are not getting the leave submit the leave 30 days out and force them to deny it. Its easy to say we cant let you take leave instead of forcing them to document it by not allowing the leave on leaveweb.

  7. #7
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

    Re: Leave question

    Not once in 20 years was I ever denied leave. I can't think of anybody I worked with who was. I think the only exception was an ORI. We were told 6 months ahead of the ORI that leave wouldn't be allowed during that time unless 1. It was already in the system or 2. An emergency came up. This gave all plenty of time to plan around that 2 weeks. Still people were allowed to go for "big" family type events (weddings, graduations, etc). They just wanted to have time to plan what personnel would be on what team during the inspection.

    I thought that was fair. And, even with that, I think there was one guy who tried the last minute thing and took it to IG when told he was denied. IG told the squadron that they couldn't deny it. So, the Sq let him go. Of course, this didn't bode well for him in the future. Not that he was singled out, but he also didn't gain any favor in the future.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, ohio
    Posts
    3,337
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

    Re: Leave question

    I hve had 3 leaves denied. One was due to manning and family folk having leave as well (though i had mine in first, but cause i was single, i could as my chief said, suck it up), one was due to our deployment getting moved up and one was already approved, but due to someone with kids having an emergency holiday (well he won a trip supposedly that had a set time limit to use) i got bumpped off my leave so he could take his family trip.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    3,669
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

    Re: Leave question

    Quote Originally Posted by raider8169 View Post
    In Korea we had to project out to make sure we had the manning. Stateside I have never run into this issue but I still say its first come first served. Reguardless if the issue is that you are not getting the leave submit the leave 30 days out and force them to deny it. Its easy to say we cant let you take leave instead of forcing them to document it by not allowing the leave on leaveweb.
    As a former Security Forces member, I can vouch for this, if you are left without guards, you are considered "guard-less" and if it happens more than once, well, your whole unit is Re-guard-less.

    That is why it it is imperative to schedule leave years in advance! Regardless, of the fact that most military members PCS after two or three years, and that it would preclude the annual hogging of the choice calendar days of leave.

    Another overlooked fact is the importance of documenting your leave requests with the f/100+ and f/100- variance factor. I never knew what the fuck that stood for, but I always thought it was important, so make sure your leave requests have the proper f/100 variance factor computed.

  10. #10
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

    Re: Leave question

    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    As a former Security Forces member, I can vouch for this, if you are left without guards, you are considered "guard-less" and if it happens more than once, well, your whole unit is Re-guard-less.

    That is why it it is imperative to schedule leave years in advance! Regardless, of the fact that most military members PCS after two or three years, and that it would preclude the annual hogging of the choice calendar days of leave.

    Another overlooked fact is the importance of documenting your leave requests with the f/100+ and f/100- variance factor. I never knew what the fuck that stood for, but I always thought it was important, so make sure your leave requests have the proper f/100 variance factor computed.
    Nice use of commas, irreguardless of everything else.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •