Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 60 Minutes - F-35

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Re: 60 Minutes - F-35

Quote Originally Posted by BENDER56 View Post
    "... you go to war with the army you have---not the army you might want or wish to have at a later time."

~Donald Rumsfeld
    Goes without saying that Rumsfeld was probably the worst SecDef in living memory.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Alfredo View Post
    Goes without saying that Rumsfeld was probably the worst SecDef in living memory.
    Gates, Panetta, Cohen (and these are just a few of the most recent)...I don't know if we've had a worst....just many bad ones.

I also wonder what we would have thought of SecDefs if the media would have been as it is now back before the internet/24 hour news cycle days, or if we would have known about the SecDefs these days if we didn't have the news cycles. Hell, I'm sure Vietnam SecDefs would have been ripped big time, but they pretty much stay under the radar just because of the difference in the media.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I was at the Pentagon when Rumsfeld left and there was a moratorium on all parties, even birthday parties, for fear of the impression that people were celebrating his departure.

At the time, the J2, a hard-nosed Navy Admiral, said nothing of the change in leadership, but I did notice he mellowed out after Rumsfeld departed. I was part of a team of people that helped him prepare to brief the SecDef each day.

Go and google, "Rumsfeld Snowflakes" if you want some insight on what it was like.

Here are a few to get you started:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...103103095.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Remember that the people who are assigned to those squadrons are not being paid by the Air Force, but by the Agency itself.
    How do you figure that?

Nevertheless, I agree that many of the military assigned to the Agency aren't really needed. I certainly wasn't.

From what I could tell, even twenty years ago, the Agency civilians somewhat valued the enlisted people and warrant officers for their technical skills. They tolerated O-6 and above because the officers could cause them problems if the civilians gave them too much grief. But we who were O-1 through O-5...in general, neither needed nor wanted. There were some "good" offices for O-1 through O-5 - was in one - but overall my tour at Fort Meade was the tour from hell, for that reason and the personal agonies.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Gates, Panetta, Cohen (and these are just a few of the most recent)...I don't know if we've had a worst....just many bad ones.

I also wonder what we would have thought of SecDefs if the media would have been as it is now back before the internet/24 hour news cycle days, or if we would have known about the SecDefs these days if we didn't have the news cycles. Hell, I'm sure Vietnam SecDefs would have been ripped big time, but they pretty much stay under the radar just because of the difference in the media.
    You'd say anything to make yourself look like less of a failure. Just because we've had some bad SecDefs, doesn't mean that your HoHo binges and PT failures are acceptable.

You have got to face up to your own shortcomings and stop blaming other people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    You'd say anything to make yourself look like less of a failure. Just because we've had some bad SecDefs, doesn't mean that your HoHo binges and PT failures are acceptable.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BOSS302 View Post
    I like the text, but that guy doesn't look very convincing to me. He reminds me of the kind of guy who is an AGE mechanic, but aspires to be an Ammo Troop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post

Currently am unable to issue private warnings.

Please refrain from personal attacks on other users.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not to actually *talk* about the thread topic, but I can tell you that the acquisition process is the most f*ed up thing I have ever seen in my AF career. I am a "quality acceptance" guy that works directly with a really big contractor that deliverers big airplanes to the DoD and that *might* be involved in the F-35 program. The amount of waste is absolutely astonishing...and watching the AF program office just sit by and let it happen just BLOWS me away. The product is WAY over cost and WAY over schedule, but the execs at the prime contractor still get their fat-ass bonuses. I am sure that in the next 12-18 months, you will be able to read all about it...but I can't go into specifics right now. We listened just the other day one of the SES guys (senior executive staff) kept on and on about "getting the products to the warfighter"..over and over. When it came to the Q&A portion, all the worthless GS's wanted to know about was furlough days and bonuses. As a tax payer, it makes me absolutely sick to the stomach.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HeyEng View Post
    Not to actually *talk* about the thread topic, but I can tell you that the acquisition process is the most f*ed up thing I have ever seen in my AF career. I am a "quality acceptance" guy that works directly with a really big contractor that deliverers big airplanes to the DoD and that *might* be involved in the F-35 program. The amount of waste is absolutely astonishing...and watching the AF program office just sit by and let it happen just BLOWS me away. The product is WAY over cost and WAY over schedule, but the execs at the prime contractor still get their fat-ass bonuses. I am sure that in the next 12-18 months, you will be able to read all about it...but I can't go into specifics right now. We listened just the other day one of the SES guys (senior executive staff) kept on and on about "getting the products to the warfighter"..over and over. When it came to the Q&A portion, all the worthless GS's wanted to know about was furlough days and bonuses. As a tax payer, it makes me absolutely sick to the stomach.
    I have a friend who is the COR (Contracting officer Representative) for a $2 Million per year contact. The contract has roughly 15 people on it. He hasn't even met most of them since none actually work in his office. Since no one has complained he just files a report every month saying things are going great and the contractor keeps getting paid. I wonder what private sector company would spend 2 mil and never actually bother to see what they got?