Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reclama

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Reclama

Has anyone ever heard of a reclama being approved because the unit cannot afford to lose the person? Unit is claiming mission would suffer if they let the SNCO deploy. Said unit is 100% manned. They have had their issues but hey craters of crappy management shouldn't justify them not sending someone down range to do their job during their AEF band.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Reclama

Quote Originally Posted by youngsmsgt View Post
    Has anyone ever heard of a reclama being approved because the unit cannot afford to lose the person? Unit is claiming mission would suffer if they let the SNCO deploy. Said unit is 100% manned. They have had their issues but hey craters of crappy management shouldn't justify them not sending someone down range to do their job during their AEF band.
    Nope. Good luck with that excuse, especially being at 100% manning. Nobody is irreplaceable. I've seen several Commanders deploy and the person being left in charge of the entire unit had never been in the seat before and wasn't a strong leader to begin with. We survived.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by youngsmsgt View Post
    I've seen it before, but a lot of Commanders won't do it. Submitting a reclamma puts a lot of scrutiny from the higher levels on their unit and some Commanders don't have the stomach for it, even if it is detrimental to their unit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was a UDM for two years.

The purpose of the military is to fight wars and everybody is replaceable.

I think there is a DAV (Deployment Availability Code) for severe mission impact. However, that DAV code requires a lot of justification, has to be approved prior to the member being tasked and can't be forever. During my two years as a UDM at the Group level I never saw a reclma get approved for severe mission impact. . We deployed squadrons Supes, DO's and Squadron Commanders. It's next man up in the military.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

What would happen if said SNCO got hit by a bus tomorrow...would the unit fold?
    No. No one person in any unit, anywhere is "mission essential."
    If that SNCO is the only person in the unit that "knows X" or "can do X", then he/she is failing as an NCO/SNCO for not training anyone else.
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was also a UDM at Grp level for many years in a previous unit. CAN you RECLAMA someone for those reasons? Technically yes.

Had a young overzealous commander determined to fight for a person tapped to go. However, in order to approve the RECLAMA (the code you would use for it essentially says "yes we have the manning to support your tasking, but no we don't want to play") it must be approved by the MAJCOM Vice. Once the Lt. Col. realized they would be asking the Three-star for approval to say "No", they stopped pushing the issue and the individual deployed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I remember a unit (that I won't name unless someone asks) was notorious for not going through the RECLAMA process, they just wouldn't do anything. Saw them do it twice: once for a Stan-Eval C-130 type at the Deid; once for my boss's replacement at the Kabul JOC.
    "Wrong" is one of those concepts that requires witnesses. Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chief_KO View Post
    What would happen if said SNCO got hit by a bus tomorrow...would the unit fold?
    No. No one person in any unit, anywhere is "mission essential."
    If that SNCO is the only person in the unit that "knows X" or "can do X", then he/she is failing as an NCO/SNCO for not training anyone else.
    LOL...I can't believe a CC would even submit a reclama stating this. That's like saying "we are all freakin clueless in my unit except for this guy so he can't go." The reclama is a waste, they will shoot that down at the Command Hq before it ever gets to the AEF Center.
    "Respect My Authoritah!" - Eric Cartman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BRUWIN View Post
    LOL...I can't believe a CC would even submit a reclama stating this. That's like saying "we are all freakin clueless in my unit except for this guy so he can't go." The reclama is a waste, they will shoot that down at the Command Hq before it ever gets to the AEF Center.
    Didn't you tell a story about your infamous female CC who wouldn't let a group of guys deploy? You stepped in to help them deploy & you ended up in her office being "yelled at" continuously?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BOSS302 View Post
    Didn't you tell a story about your infamous female CC who wouldn't let a group of guys deploy? You stepped in to help them deploy & you ended up in her office being "yelled at" continuously?
    Yes...her exact words at one point were "i told you before that they aren't deploying and you need to shut up about it." LOL...they deployed.
    "Respect My Authoritah!" - Eric Cartman