Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: McPeak has a new book!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

McPeak has a new book!

I saw a flyer on base today for General McPeak's new book. He'll be here for a book signing next week. I'm not sure how I really feel about the guy since I came in just after him during the Fogelman days. Most everyone I spoke with hated the guy because of all the nonsensical changes he made. However, there was one guy who had a different perspective and liked what McPeak did. He said that with the end of the cold war, the AF needed a major shake up in how we were structured and also how we think. Sticking with old school thinking in a post cold war environment would have been destructive in the long term. I don't know that I agree but I do see his point.

Thoughts?
    For the record I am not: AF Communicator, Comm Guy, Comm Chief, CommGuy, CommGuy 72, COMMGUY8, Comm_Guy, Comm_O or satcomman.

I doubt anyone else cares but it was bothering me. Is there an OCD emoticon?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Re: McPeak has a new book!

So General McPeak... he must've done for the Air Force after the Cold War what Admiral Zumwalt did for the Navy after Vietnam... and was totally hated for it, I take it.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I take issue with McPeak primarily for 3 reasons:
    1) The move from SAC/TAC/MAC to ACC/AMC was arguably necessary, but the reassignment of assets to the new majcoms was a disaster in the long term and cost a shit-pile of money to undo.
    2) The implementation of "corporate practices"...Quality Mangement (AFSO21, today), Commercial Off the Shelf, movement toward contracted services. He embraced these ideas wholesale, but their implementation has been a huge fail in the long term for the service.
    3) The 90's drawdown to a force structure that was "end heavy" (lots of E4 and below/E7 and up) and gutted the E5-E6 part of the force. We are still feeling the repercusions of that drawdown today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The only book listed for McPeak on Amazon is from 2012 called "Hanger Flying". In short, McPeak reminiscing about his "good ol' days" flying fighters.

He has something newer out??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Maybe a Blue-ID Mafia type will run him down with his Lincoln Town Car in the parking lot. I'd pitch in for his new bumper and grill.
    "Wrong" is one of those concepts that requires witnesses. Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

He has exactly 666 likes on Facebook!!!!!!!!

This cannot be a coincidence...
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

He's written a Trilogy!!!
    from his website (generalmcpeak.com):

General Merrill A. “Tony” McPeak was the 14th chief of staff of the US Air Force. Below the Zone is the second installment of a projected three-volume memoir. The first book, Hangar Flying, covers the 1960s, years McPeak spent in fighter squadrons, doing air shows as a pilot with the elite Thunderbirds aerobatic team and flying combat missions in Vietnam. Below the Zone picks up at the Armed Forces Staff College after the war and proceeds through the 1970s and 1980s as McPeak climbed the ladder from major to four-star general. It describes the challenges of leadership and management in an organization that had to meet high performance standards, as the US continued its long confrontation with the Soviet Union.
    McPeak writes, “In formations of squadron size or smaller, everybody knows everybody else, and the leadership qualities that count are, first, you must be competent and second, you must be trusted by teammates. Now, I entered the world of medium- and large-sized organizations, a much more cluttered landscape, a zone of increasing ambiguity—the world of politics, broadly defined.”
    Below the Zone takes readers from Virginia and Florida to Mildenhall and Upper Heyford (UK), from Zaragoza (Spain) to Börfink and Ramstein (Germany), from Texas to the blue Pacific and finally the Pentagon. In the background all the while, we read about the Arab-Israeli conflict, Watergate, the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, and America’s involvement in Central America.
    “It was during this 20-year period that we won the Cold War,” McPeak reminds us, “though we should be precise about what actually happened: the Soviets lost it.”
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wouldn't waste any money on this book. The guy was a nut job.
    "Respect My Authoritah!" - Eric Cartman

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BRUWIN View Post
    I wouldn't waste any money on this book. The guy was a nut job.
    No problem, I just ordered you the entire trilogy, leather bound, gold leaf cover, personally autographed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chief_KO View Post
    No problem, I just ordered you the entire trilogy, leather bound, gold leaf cover, personally autographed.
    Are you going to go on a long, treacherous journey to throw them in a volcano? Because that's the only way to destroy the horror associated with McPeak and end the decades of despair from which the USAF has suffered? Oh wait, that's the Lord of the Rings.

generalmcpeak.com?? WTF??-OVER??!! How much ego does this SOB have? This is grounds to get that sword back if you ask me.
    "Wrong" is one of those concepts that requires witnesses. Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources