Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: McPeak has a new book!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: McPeak has a new book!

Quote Originally Posted by giggawatt View Post
    I once heard rumblings of combining power pro and electricians. It would make a lot more sense than combining with AGE but still not a good idea.
    That would be horrible.

Power Pro guys would constantly be beating their chests and trying to establish themselves as the "Alpha" while marking their territory on every GOV and arc flash kit.

Electricians would be too scared and would hide at Starbucks or in the airfield lighting vault behind hoarded copies of GQ magazine.

It would take an "old school" real-man crusty SNCO from Dirt Boys or Structures to get them to do any work.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    AGE mechanics rock! They might not be able to think for themselves, but they do think of the simplest things first.

Can't see the youtube clip yet but I once heard a story about an AGE guy that tried to put out a gasoline fire by stomping on it.
    Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop, TSgt, USAF
    Deputy Executive Assistant for the Assistant Deputy Chief
    HQ COBRA
    867-5309
    :ranger

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do taskers on their behalf.

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer!"- Arnold Schwarzenegger

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by giggawatt View Post
    Can't see the youtube clip yet but I once heard a story about an AGE guy that tried to put out a gasoline fire by stomping on it.
    Carl was just saying that the gas tank on the light-all cart was empty.

He is a regular wiz with small engines.

Newbie - (Restricted)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is my opinion, and it is just that. I feel the service started going in an ill advised direction when he was CSAF. We really haven't gotten back since.

Many things contributed to this. They are:

Restructuring the Major Commands.
    Doing away with regulations and creating instructions.
    Making really stupid changes to the uniform.
    Creating an egotistical pilot slogan "Fly, Fight, and Win or Support Those That Do".
    Downsizing.
    and the number one reason: Total Quality Management.

This, in my opinion, was the nail in the coffin.
    We decided to say all of a sudden "Everyone's opinion counts!". The truth of the matter was leadership didn't care what you thought, but had to go through to motions to appease McPeak. We created a society in the Air Force where Airmen started questioning authority. Once we realized this TQM was absolutely bs, we couldn't put the genie back in the bottle.
    Icing on the cake...I think he was the only retired 4 star Air Force General to endorse Bill Clinton. Let's not even talk about his pony tail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AF Comm Guy View Post
    I saw a flyer on base today for General McPeak's new book. He'll be here for a book signing next week. I'm not sure how I really feel about the guy since I came in just after him during the Fogelman days. Most everyone I spoke with hated the guy because of all the nonsensical changes he made. However, there was one guy who had a different perspective and liked what McPeak did. He said that with the end of the cold war, the AF needed a major shake up in how we were structured and also how we think. Sticking with old school thinking in a post cold war environment would have been destructive in the long term. I don't know that I agree but I do see his point.

Thoughts?
    I didn't realize the authors of coloring books had book signings.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

More than TQM, AFRs to AFIs, "Delta Airlines" service dress, renumbering units, eliminating/merging MAJCOMs, the one thing he started that has caused a great deal of harm was the creation of the Wing King. By eliminating comm/medical as tennant units, and placing nearly everything on a base under the wing commander's authority he created an atmosphere of Wing King superiority/infallability. No longer did a situation of checks and balances...AFCC saying "no", AFMS saying "no", now the MSG/CC (CS/CC) and MDG/CC were always saying "yes" to whatever wild ass whim the WK wanted.
    I present Doc as the prime example.
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I swear if this ends up on the CSAF's reading list, I will have to bid General Welsh a good day. I said good day, sir!

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

RFD's new book is on the CSAF reading list:

Eagles and Tamales

"The exploits of the F-15 Strike Eagle over El Salvador"
    @BOSS302

That was too good, I just had to use it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Come on, Bob! You know that's some funny shit right there. I know you're reading this and you miss us. Eagles and Tamales..... Whew!