Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: McPeak has a new book!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: McPeak has a new book!

Quote Originally Posted by Chief_KO View Post
    No problem, I just ordered you the entire trilogy, leather bound, gold leaf cover, personally autographed.
    Are you going to go on a long, treacherous journey to throw them in a volcano? Because that's the only way to destroy the horror associated with McPeak and end the decades of despair from which the USAF has suffered? Oh wait, that's the Lord of the Rings.

generalmcpeak.com?? WTF??-OVER??!! How much ego does this SOB have? This is grounds to get that sword back if you ask me.
    "Wrong" is one of those concepts that requires witnesses. Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Today is a day I wish RFD was still on the forums. I would love his insight about the McPeak years. I came in when he was CSAF and as a two-striper didn't really care too much who was CSAF. I do remember the Quality Air Force and Total Quality Management chapters in the PFE. I would like to thank the dude who had them removed a few years later.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjohn1118 View Post
    Today is a day I wish RFD was still on the forums. I would love his insight about the McPeak years. I came in when he was CSAF and as a two-striper didn't really care too much who was CSAF. I do remember the Quality Air Force and Total Quality Management chapters in the PFE. I would like to thank the dude who had them removed a few years later.
    I understand why some people didn't think TQM was a good match for a military service; however, there were some sound management practices and philosophies in TQM. Also, the Air Force wasn't the only element of DOD experimenting with TQM, NSA also taught TQM during that time frame.

I think that most of the pushback against it was that same old "knee jerk" resistance to any kind of change.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I remember my QAF training (5 days), Osan circa 1994. Civilian clothing, first names.
    We had to list our "customers" (a term I loathe in the military...a customer has a choice, sorry but I cannot choose another MPF, Finance, Comm, CE, other)
    At the time I worked tactical air control, so I listed on my chart "North Korea" as my "external customer."
    The teacher, "Larry" (really a Lt Col) did not appreciate my inputs.

Concept of TQM is valuable, if in a true supplier - customer relationship. But to force fit it into a military structure is so wrong. AFSO21 just TQM on steroids (when you mandate X number of events MUST occur, is it really a program there to help or a beast that has taken over).
    We had the AF form 1000 (suggestion program) in 1982, there was already a mindset and process in place to improve things. The idea of an independent Air Force was established on the principle of "doing things smarter/better" (See Gen Billy Mitchell / Sgt Sam Nero).

I always wondered if we would have ended up in a different state if Gen Dugan was not fired...
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chief_KO View Post
    I remember my QAF training (5 days), Osan circa 1994. Civilian clothing, first names.
    We had to list our "customers" (a term I loathe in the military...a customer has a choice, sorry but I cannot choose another MPF, Finance, Comm, CE, other)
    At the time I worked tactical air control, so I listed on my chart "North Korea" as my "external customer."
    The teacher, "Larry" (really a Lt Col) did not appreciate my inputs.

Concept of TQM is valuable, if in a true supplier - customer relationship. But to force fit it into a military structure is so wrong. AFSO21 just TQM on steroids (when you mandate X number of events MUST occur, is it really a program there to help or a beast that has taken over).
    We had the AF form 1000 (suggestion program) in 1982, there was already a mindset and process in place to improve things. The idea of an independent Air Force was established on the principle of "doing things smarter/better" (See Gen Billy Mitchell / Sgt Sam Nero).

I always wondered if we would have ended up in a different state if Gen Dugan was not fired...
    Suspending military bearing during those seminars was a bit cheesy and did not go over well. I'll also admit that some of the labels did not make sense.

However, realizing that your organization only exists because of your customer (mission) is a solid concept to embrace.

Along with fully understanding who your customers are and what it takes to serve them. There were some great ideas in those seminars, but, I agree, it was packaged wrong for the military, and that is what gave people the ammo to take endless pot shots at the program.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    Suspending military bearing during those seminars was a bit cheesy and did not go over well. I'll also admit that some of the labels did not make sense.

However, realizing that your organization only exists because of your customer (mission) is a solid concept to embrace.

Along with fully understanding who your customers are and what it takes to serve them. There were some great ideas in those seminars, but, I agree, it was packaged wrong for the military, and that is what gave people the ammo to take endless pot shots at the program.
    I was one of those that McPeak liked to say were going to be left at the station because the TQM train was departing.

It wasn't because I was an old crusty SNCO (I was a newly minted SNCO). I simply saw the process for what it was. Hammering a square peg into a round hole. I was forced to go to the 4 day class. My commander asked me what I learned from the class. I told him I learned the biggest concept was that the way you accomplished your mission could always be improved (and then added that I had always believed that). I told him I also learned how to manipulate the weighted variables being measured in order to come to a pre-ordained decision (in the case of my class the decision was on ordering a copier for the section). My group picked which one we wanted at the beginning and then appropriately manipulated the weighted factors to make that the choice.
    My biggest pet peeve with the system was the surety (which later came to fruition) that TQM would become the ‘must have’ bullet on performance reports and at that time credibility and integrity would be suspended to accomplish that.

Case in point. Somewhere around 1992-1993 the guards on the gates on the cantonment side of Tyndall AFB were removed. This was the brainchild (solely his baby…not a single other member of the squadron aside from the commander who Kroper railroaded into supporting him) of the 4th SPS ops officer (then Capt Bob K ). K’s next OPR reflected quite a writeup on how he led a tiger team which studied the situation and came to the conclusion the guards were not needed. There was no team. NO TQM procedures were used.

It lasted until the next wing commander arrived on base and drove up to the first gate he came to and there was no guard on duty. Guards were back on post within a week. Good thing to because not surprisingly the crime rate in housing had escalated after the guards were removed.

I have gone through Green Belt training and am a supporter of the successor to TQM – Lean Six Sigma but I do not believe it can be used in every single organization. In some it is a great tool, just as TQM is but you just can’t call it a blanket and drape it over everything.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

To come back on target a little more clearly. Someone explain to me the tangible benefits of realigning the AFSC's into the category's they are now. Also, what tangible benefits were gained from eliminating AFR's and most AFMANs and creating hundreds of AFPDs and AFI's?

Those two efforts cost millions of dollars.

(notice I didn't even mention the uniform fiasco - although I do like the cut of the coat McPeak approved over the old one. It made us more modern looking bus drivers).

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    To come back on target a little more clearly. Someone explain to me the tangible benefits of realigning the AFSC's into the category's they are now. Also, what tangible benefits were gained from eliminating AFR's and most AFMANs and creating hundreds of AFPDs and AFI's?

Those two efforts cost millions of dollars.

(notice I didn't even mention the uniform fiasco - although I do like the cut of the coat McPeak approved over the old one. It made us more modern looking bus drivers).
    All that combining certain AFSCs did was create fewer experts. This isn't unique to McPeak, though. Recently the liquid fuels and plumbing AFSCs were combined in CE. Two completely different jobs, other than working with liquids and pipes. Back in the 90s, it was the interior and exterior electricians. Sure, there are still people who can master both, but I think the overall loss of expertise was not worth the effort and money.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    All that combining certain AFSCs did was create fewer experts. This isn't unique to McPeak, though. Recently the liquid fuels and plumbing AFSCs were combined in CE. Two completely different jobs, other than working with liquids and pipes. Back in the 90s, it was the interior and exterior electricians. Sure, there are still people who can master both, but I think the overall loss of expertise was not worth the effort and money.
    Yes to be fair a lot of the combining of AFSCs came post-McPeak (ask the 3A folks what they think of it all. I can remember our admin section NCOIC SSgt at the AWACS SPO giving a presentation to the SPD about how he and his former 702's were now Network Technicians.................worth a chuckle but unfortunately given the stupid guidance coming from the 3A folks at AF it kinda made sense if you looked at it while squinting). I suppose you could argue that he started the insanity by linking AFSCs in the groups (1...2....3...4...etc)

My basic point about it was................why? The AF gained nothing tangible from the results but it cost $$$$$$

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    Yes to be fair a lot of the combining of AFSCs came post-McPeak (ask the 3A folks what they think of it all. I can remember our admin section NCOIC SSgt at the AWACS SPO giving a presentation to the SPD about how he and his former 702's were now Network Technicians.................worth a chuckle but unfortunately given the stupid guidance coming from the 3A folks at AF it kinda made sense if you looked at it while squinting). I suppose you could argue that he started the insanity by linking AFSCs in the groups (1...2....3...4...etc)

My basic point about it was................why? The AF gained nothing tangible from the results but it cost $$$$$$
    Because, for some reason, the government thinks combining things will save money...and they are almost ALWAYS wrong. AFSC's, Joint Bases, etc. Consolidation seems to be the "go to", but never seems to work. You'd think sooner or later the people making these decisions would be able to see the trend. Unfortunately...