Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 82

Thread: Here's my idea.

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    618
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Exclamation Here's my idea.

    I had an idea this morning. (Millions of people nationwide faint dead away.)

    Been a lot of talk about cutting military benefits, increasing fees, etc.

    I want to see a law stating that any percentage cuts in military benefits (including percentage raises in premiums, fees, or commissary surcharges) shall not go into effect unless these cuts are matched by the same percentage cuts in benefits for Federal civilian workers and the total amount spent on Federally-funded welfare programs. Cuts in all three areas will be approved as a package or none of the cuts will be approved.

    To those who say, "That will hurt older people and children", I say cuts in military benefits also hurt older people and children. Go to the commissary any day, for example. You'll see many older shoppers and families with children. There are an awful lot of them.

    I also want to know why the Pentagon seems so eager to cut military personnel benefits. The people in the Pentagon screaming the loudest to cut benefits earn salaries that are multiples of what Sergeant Jane or Major Jack earn. Didn't hear of too many flag officers carried out in a box from Iraq or Afghanistan. They simply aren't taking the same risks. Why are they trying to deprive the men and women who have actually fought the battles of these benefits? Our troops have earned these benefits many times over, far more than any "gimmedats" going to welfare recipients. In the same vein, the retired generals who think cutting military benefits need to cease and desist. Their retirement pay is easily a multiple of the average retirement pay. Easy to hurt others when you can't feel pain. Your actions are a disgrace. Just go away.

    I don't want to hear that welfare is an "entitlement", either. Shouldn't be. Welfare is provided to help the needy get through the toughest times. While I have no problem with the aged or the genuinely disabled getting benefits, I don't feel the same way about otherwise able-bodied people sucking up the bennies our tax dollars pay for.

    I also want to remind those wanting to cut military benefits that we help fund our benefits through the taxes we pay. Welfare recipients don't pay a whole lot of taxes, far as I know.

    Lastly, check out the news. National debt limit needs raising. What's at stake? Possible impacts on Social Security and military pay. What? No impact on those welfare checks? That's bass-ackward. If anything, military pay and benefits should never be in doubt. Let those who are only takers worry about their welfare checks. The people whose blood has nourished the American tree of liberty should never need to worry about their salaries being paid.

    Otis

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    here
    Posts
    377
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Here's my idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by OtisRNeedleman View Post
    I had an idea this morning. (Millions of people nationwide faint dead away.)

    Been a lot of talk about cutting military benefits, increasing fees, etc.

    I want to see a law stating that any percentage cuts in military benefits (including percentage raises in premiums, fees, or commissary surcharges) shall not go into effect unless these cuts are matched by the same percentage cuts in benefits for Federal civilian workers and the total amount spent on Federally-funded welfare programs. Cuts in all three areas will be approved as a package or none of the cuts will be approved.

    To those who say, "That will hurt older people and children", I say cuts in military benefits also hurt older people and children. Go to the commissary any day, for example. You'll see many older shoppers and families with children. There are an awful lot of them.

    I also want to know why the Pentagon seems so eager to cut military personnel benefits. The people in the Pentagon screaming the loudest to cut benefits earn salaries that are multiples of what Sergeant Jane or Major Jack earn. Didn't hear of too many flag officers carried out in a box from Iraq or Afghanistan. They simply aren't taking the same risks. Why are they trying to deprive the men and women who have actually fought the battles of these benefits? Our troops have earned these benefits many times over, far more than any "gimmedats" going to welfare recipients. In the same vein, the retired generals who think cutting military benefits need to cease and desist. Their retirement pay is easily a multiple of the average retirement pay. Easy to hurt others when you can't feel pain. Your actions are a disgrace. Just go away.

    I don't want to hear that welfare is an "entitlement", either. Shouldn't be. Welfare is provided to help the needy get through the toughest times. While I have no problem with the aged or the genuinely disabled getting benefits, I don't feel the same way about otherwise able-bodied people sucking up the bennies our tax dollars pay for.

    I also want to remind those wanting to cut military benefits that we help fund our benefits through the taxes we pay. Welfare recipients don't pay a whole lot of taxes, far as I know.

    Lastly, check out the news. National debt limit needs raising. What's at stake? Possible impacts on Social Security and military pay. What? No impact on those welfare checks? That's bass-ackward. If anything, military pay and benefits should never be in doubt. Let those who are only takers worry about their welfare checks. The people whose blood has nourished the American tree of liberty should never need to worry about their salaries being paid.

    Otis
    Good words, my brother. Of course the reason is that different cost solutions have different political prices associated with them. Pollsters tell the aids to tell the politician which route will cost them the least number of votes. These guys have no stomach for a hard line on welfare or imigration because welfare folks and minorities make up such a huge part of their base. The wars are fading and the military is a soft target right now. Lawmakers won't cut the programs or shut the excess installations so all that's left is personel costs.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Dayon, Ohio
    Posts
    1,244
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Here's my idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by OtisRNeedleman View Post
    I had an idea this morning. (Millions of people nationwide faint dead away.)

    Been a lot of talk about cutting military benefits, increasing fees, etc.

    I want to see a law stating that any percentage cuts in military benefits (including percentage raises in premiums, fees, or commissary surcharges) shall not go into effect unless these cuts are matched by the same percentage cuts in benefits for Federal civilian workers and the total amount spent on Federally-funded welfare programs. Cuts in all three areas will be approved as a package or none of the cuts will be approved.

    To those who say, "That will hurt older people and children", I say cuts in military benefits also hurt older people and children. Go to the commissary any day, for example. You'll see many older shoppers and families with children. There are an awful lot of them.

    I also want to know why the Pentagon seems so eager to cut military personnel benefits. The people in the Pentagon screaming the loudest to cut benefits earn salaries that are multiples of what Sergeant Jane or Major Jack earn. Didn't hear of too many flag officers carried out in a box from Iraq or Afghanistan. They simply aren't taking the same risks. Why are they trying to deprive the men and women who have actually fought the battles of these benefits? Our troops have earned these benefits many times over, far more than any "gimmedats" going to welfare recipients. In the same vein, the retired generals who think cutting military benefits need to cease and desist. Their retirement pay is easily a multiple of the average retirement pay. Easy to hurt others when you can't feel pain. Your actions are a disgrace. Just go away.

    I don't want to hear that welfare is an "entitlement", either. Shouldn't be. Welfare is provided to help the needy get through the toughest times. While I have no problem with the aged or the genuinely disabled getting benefits, I don't feel the same way about otherwise able-bodied people sucking up the bennies our tax dollars pay for.

    I also want to remind those wanting to cut military benefits that we help fund our benefits through the taxes we pay. Welfare recipients don't pay a whole lot of taxes, far as I know.

    Lastly, check out the news. National debt limit needs raising. What's at stake? Possible impacts on Social Security and military pay. What? No impact on those welfare checks? That's bass-ackward. If anything, military pay and benefits should never be in doubt. Let those who are only takers worry about their welfare checks. The people whose blood has nourished the American tree of liberty should never need to worry about their salaries being paid.

    Otis
    Your idea sounds great but politcally it just isn't possible. With that being said I have a counter proposal that could fix the budget problems. Literally, there is one simple change that would cut DoD spending by probably about 10%. What is that change? It's quite simple, get rid of the requirement to spend all appropriated funds or else lose them. Basically, treat every DoD organization like a working capital fund. Funding would flow down from Congress to unit based on their composition and mission. You could easily set funding levels based on organization size, current budget, and comparable organtizations.

    The plan would be simple. You get a budget authorization at the beginning of the year. You are free to spend it however you wish, but when it runs out that's it. If your organization is a good financial steward you get to carry over funds to the next year. I really wish I could make some of the data I see everyday public. It is amazing to me how much we spend on supplies and equipment. My guess is that hundreds of thoseands of dollars in office supplies and equipment walk out of this place every year.

    Last year my computer was replaced because the warranty expired on the old one. The replacement I was given was is not any better than the old one. The specs on both of them are actually very similar. I feel like I could have used my old PC for at least another 2 years. Who cares that the warranty is expired? Isn't that why we pay our own IT folks? Last year we had between $50-$100K in "fallout money" that we had to spend at the end of the year. The reason we had the fallout money was because we furloughed our civilian employees. In my opinion it was kind of an insult to force them to take a 10% pay cut and then at the end of teh year tell them we have a bunch of extra money and we need your help spending it. I wonder where the money came from?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    113
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Here's my idea.

    Welcome to the world of public-sector accounting. It's not about profit and loss, like the private-sector, but how you "manage" the funds you're given. You're actually penalized if you go under budget, because the powers that be will decide that if you came in under budget, then you must not need that much money, and they'll reduce your line accordingly. So, in order to avoid that, the mindset is, if I have anything left, I better spend it, or else I won't get it for next year.

    Hindsight is 20/20, but Congress should've enacted some kind of "war tax" for OIF and OEF. Institute a national sales tax increase of 1 percent or something, that way EVERYONE is contributing SOMETHING to the war efforts. Had they done that, I'm sure we wouldn't be in the financial mess we're in now. You mentioned something about this whole process being backasswards. I'd have to agree, because what we're doing now is "right-sizing" the force to meet the budget, instead of budgeting to meet the OTE requirements our mission needs.

  5. #5
    Senior Member jshiver15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    236
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Here's my idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    Last year my computer was replaced because the warranty expired on the old one. The replacement I was given was is not any better than the old one. The specs on both of them are actually very similar. I feel like I could have used my old PC for at least another 2 years. Who cares that the warranty is expired? Isn't that why we pay our own IT folks? Last year we had between $50-$100K in "fallout money" that we had to spend at the end of the year. The reason we had the fallout money was because we furloughed our civilian employees. In my opinion it was kind of an insult to force them to take a 10% pay cut and then at the end of teh year tell them we have a bunch of extra money and we need your help spending it. I wonder where the money came from?
    We're currently going through this in my detachment and I honestly don't understand. Our two operational computers that we have at our briefer counter could legitimately use an update as the programs we're using require more RAM. However, the 10+ we have in our back office are used for admin purposes and there really is no real need for anything more than 4GB of memory. However, leadership is trying to replace every computer because they've exceeded their "2 year lifespan". I said outright that I think it's wasteful, but the general opinion is that those funds need to be spent and they might as well be spent on new computers.

    :mmph
    Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't. -Pete Seeger

    Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. -Arnold Palmer

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Dayon, Ohio
    Posts
    1,244
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Here's my idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by jshiver15 View Post
    We're currently going through this in my detachment and I honestly don't understand. Our two operational computers that we have at our briefer counter could legitimately use an update as the programs we're using require more RAM. However, the 10+ we have in our back office are used for admin purposes and there really is no real need for anything more than 4GB of memory. However, leadership is trying to replace every computer because they've exceeded their "2 year lifespan". I said outright that I think it's wasteful, but the general opinion is that those funds need to be spent and they might as well be spent on new computers.

    :mmph
    It really is a strange enviroment. A few years ago I had a friend who was the resource advisor for Mission Support Group. That included the budgets for Security Forces, Services, and Personnel. He had a few competing requirements on his desk. One of them was an order for like 10-15 sets of nightvision goggles for security forces. The other order was gym equipment and some maintenance from Services. On the surface it seemed like a no brainer that SFS needed to night vision goggles for deployments he had to order those. Most people would have stopped there are just went with the SFS order. This guy decided to dig a little deeper. He went over to SFS and talked to their supply guys. They had something like 30 sets of night vision goggles on their shelf and the person working said he didn't even know that more were ordered. The gym equipment was ultimately what they decided to buy. Apparantly, the person submitting the night vision goggles was just stocking up.

    In finance we normally send out an email asking what requirements each shop has. We ask that they rack and stack their own requests and explain what is and is not mission critical. The problem is that you can pretty much justify anything as mission critical and I have no way to know what is truely important. Hell, I had someone send me a mission critical request the other day that was designing and installing a new logo on their shop door. That's mission critical? Really? If your customers don't see your sweet new logo on your door the mission is going to fail? I highly doubt it.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,236
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Here's my idea.

    Base cutting from overseas and bringing troops home so they would spend their paychecks in the states instead of other countries economies. Not to mention the taxes and "rent" paid to countries like Germany, GB, Italy, and S Korea. All just a huge waste of our capital going into other countries economies who dont need help in their GDP. Everyone of the liberals talks about the fiscal aid to Isreal, but over look the foreign aid we give to 90% of the world through bases and troops how spend everything they make on bootleg merchendise.
    Liberalism; such great ideas, they need to force you to follow them.

    Socialism is for the people, not the socialist.

    Economic Left/Right: 7.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.08
    politicalcompass.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, ohio
    Posts
    3,337
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

    Re: Here's my idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    Last year my computer was replaced because the warranty expired on the old one. The replacement I was given was is not any better than the old one. The specs on both of them are actually very similar. I feel like I could have used my old PC for at least another 2 years. Who cares that the warranty is expired? Isn't that why we pay our own IT folks? Last year we had between $50-$100K in "fallout money" that we had to spend at the end of the year. The reason we had the fallout money was because we furloughed our civilian employees. In my opinion it was kind of an insult to force them to take a 10% pay cut and then at the end of teh year tell them we have a bunch of extra money and we need your help spending it. I wonder where the money came from?
    That was one thing i always found laughable. We send these "IT workers" to these schools and such to get all these Certifications and such, but when it comes to them doing their job and fixing computers.. na we just farm that out to civilians who get paid more.
    And teh whole 'replace all pcs every 3 years' rather than replace those which are broke.. Stupid.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    249
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Here's my idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    It really is a strange enviroment. A few years ago I had a friend who was the resource advisor for Mission Support Group. That included the budgets for Security Forces, Services, and Personnel. He had a few competing requirements on his desk. One of them was an order for like 10-15 sets of nightvision goggles for security forces. The other order was gym equipment and some maintenance from Services. On the surface it seemed like a no brainer that SFS needed to night vision goggles for deployments he had to order those. Most people would have stopped there are just went with the SFS order. This guy decided to dig a little deeper. He went over to SFS and talked to their supply guys. They had something like 30 sets of night vision goggles on their shelf and the person working said he didn't even know that more were ordered. The gym equipment was ultimately what they decided to buy. Apparantly, the person submitting the night vision goggles was just stocking up.

    In finance we normally send out an email asking what requirements each shop has. We ask that they rack and stack their own requests and explain what is and is not mission critical. The problem is that you can pretty much justify anything as mission critical and I have no way to know what is truely important. Hell, I had someone send me a mission critical request the other day that was designing and installing a new logo on their shop door. That's mission critical? Really? If your customers don't see your sweet new logo on your door the mission is going to fail? I highly doubt it.
    I didn't realize it was finance who determined whether or not a requirement was mission critical.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Dayon, Ohio
    Posts
    1,244
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Here's my idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by retiredAFcivvy View Post
    I didn't realize it was finance who determined whether or not a requirement was mission critical.
    Who were you thinking makes that call? We have been operating under a continuing resolution authority (CRA) for the better part of the last 4 years. Money gets doled out based on what was submitted in the bogey. With that being said who do you think the bogeys get submitted to? Also when it comes time for fallout money who do you think hands it out? Finance people don't decide what is mission critical but they do decide which item gets funded when they have competing requirements.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •