Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 82

Thread: Too Soft?

  1. #11
    Junior Member diabolic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Too Soft?

    Quote Originally Posted by Juggs View Post
    Sometimes cursing can emphasize a point as many of these young folks use curse words in their every day language anyhow. Also, after yrs of using curse words some little whiner gets offended by it and you're the one that is supposed to change.

    Yes many times cursing appears unprofessional but in certain groups cursing is actually part of the environment.

    Talking down to somebody doesn't necessarily mean you've failed as a supervisor. Sometimes people are just arrogant assholes that won't listen to instructions/orders. Act disrespectful to folks above them.

    Some folks sneak through basic and still can't conform, make it through tech school somehow and yet think because they graduated a simple school they aren't touchable. Those little DBs usually had the talking down coming to them.
    This is exactly what I'm talking about. I was correcting a new Airmen the other day about something and she mentioned that at her previous base this particular task was acceptable. She even brought up that they were trained at the tech school on the task. That doesn't mean crap if you're doing the task wrong to begin with. This was followed up with harsh negativity and hurt feelings pouring from the eyes and mouth from her.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    759
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Too Soft?

    Quote Originally Posted by Juggs View Post
    Sometimes cursing can emphasize a point as many of these young folks use curse words in their every day language anyhow. Also, after yrs of using curse words some little whiner gets offended by it and you're the one that is supposed to change.
    Let me ask you this... In what type of work environment does cursing at subordinates is consider acceptable behavior? I think is the fastest way to get fired or get sued, probably both.

    Yes many times cursing appears unprofessional but in certain groups cursing is actually part of the environment.
    I know what you mean, still doesn't mean is appropiate.

    Talking down to somebody doesn't necessarily mean you've failed as a supervisor. Sometimes people are just arrogant assholes that won't listen to instructions/orders. Act disrespectful to folks above them.
    Then as a supervisor you need to take appropiate steps to separate this person from the service. IMO, that would teach a better lesson to the person and to the unit as a whole.

    Some folks sneak through basic and still can't conform, make it through tech school somehow and yet think because they graduated a simple school they aren't touchable. Those little DBs usually had the talking down coming to them.
    Again your job as a supervisor isn't to babysit or talk down to people, you job is to keep the mission going, if someone doesn't conform then do what's necessary to have this person separated from service.
    Antes de que vengas a juzgarme por que escribo el inglés con errores te pregunto: Cuantos idiomas tu hablas?! Solo uno? Y vienes a juzgar mi inteligencia?! Por favor mirate en el espejo y veras en él reflejo la imagen clara de la estupidez...

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    558
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Too Soft?

    It's acceptable in an environment when my job is to find and kill the enemy.

    Good thing I didnt work in a corporate setting or I would've been fired. I worked where your job was to kill as many as needed to ensure your brothers survival. I don't need people with thin skin. I need mentally and physically tough people.

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    759
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Too Soft?

    Quote Originally Posted by diabolic View Post
    Valid point. In my case that was presented, I do not curse or talk down to people. I'm speaking of general "cursing" in the work place. Like when you take a sip of that delicious hot coffee in the morning but it burned your mouth and you shout "Great Grandmothers spatula, that f*cking burns!". If you get bent out of shape over things like that, you should probably join the Peace Corps.
    Yeah... Thats way overboard for someone to complain for something like that. I don't mind that type of cursing or the regular curse word that's thrown around when having a jovial conversation around the workplace.
    Antes de que vengas a juzgarme por que escribo el inglés con errores te pregunto: Cuantos idiomas tu hablas?! Solo uno? Y vienes a juzgar mi inteligencia?! Por favor mirate en el espejo y veras en él reflejo la imagen clara de la estupidez...

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    759
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Too Soft?

    Quote Originally Posted by Juggs View Post
    It's acceptable in an environment when my job is to find and kill the enemy.

    Good thing I didnt work in a corporate setting or I would've been fired. I worked where your job was to kill as many as needed to ensure your brothers survival. I don't need people with thin skin. I need mentally and physically tough people.
    No need to get defensive about it.

    I used to work in CE which is a different culture from recruiting. CE is blue collar type and cursing was normal although I never had a supervisor (good or bad) that cursed at people. Recruiting is more corporate so is an environment that if you do a lot of cursing you will be looked at the wrong way.
    Antes de que vengas a juzgarme por que escribo el inglés con errores te pregunto: Cuantos idiomas tu hablas?! Solo uno? Y vienes a juzgar mi inteligencia?! Por favor mirate en el espejo y veras en él reflejo la imagen clara de la estupidez...

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    558
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Too Soft?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bunch View Post
    No need to get defensive about it.

    I used to work in CE which is a different culture from recruiting. CE is blue collar type and cursing was normal although I never had a supervisor (good or bad) that cursed at people. Recruiting is more corporate so is an environment that if you do a lot of cursing you will be looked at the wrong way.

    Not defensive. Yes, CE is blue collar. However, it isn't the same as my world. I had sq sups, shirts, commanders any supervisors the cursed. It was part of life.

  7. #17
    Senior Member wxjumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tehran
    Posts
    372
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Too Soft?

    Quote Originally Posted by Juggs View Post
    It's acceptable in an environment when my job is to find and kill the enemy.

    Good thing I didnt work in a corporate setting or I would've been fired. I worked where your job was to kill as many as needed to ensure your brothers survival. I don't need people with thin skin. I need mentally and physically tough people.
    This. I am in an environment right now where the Commander says things like "why haven't we killed any mother fuckers today" and swears about every other word when talking to us (however, it is important to note he is not swearing AT us, it is just part of his vernacular). With U.S. Soldiers in danger and still sustaining casualties in this war, the last thing we need is some Corporate desk flying politically correct blue kool'aid drinkin Air Force Nancy taking issue with the way the Commander wants to communicate in this environment.

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    558
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Too Soft?

    Quote Originally Posted by wxjumper View Post
    This. I am in an environment right now where the Commander says things like "why haven't we killed any mother fuckers today" and swears about every other word when talking to us (however, it is important to note he is not swearing AT us, it is just part of his vernacular). With U.S. Soldiers in danger and still sustaining casualties in this war, the last thing we need is some Corporate desk flying politically correct blue kool'aid drinkin Air Force Nancy taking issue with the way the Commander wants to communicate in this environment.

    Exactly. That's all.

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    759
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Too Soft?

    Quote Originally Posted by Juggs View Post
    Not defensive. Yes, CE is blue collar. However, it isn't the same as my world. I had sq sups, shirts, commanders any supervisors the cursed. It was part of life.
    As far as that goes then is not my place to opine because I never been exposed to that type of work center. The closest that I've been to special ops is crossing paths with some TACP's and SERE guys at ALS and recruiting school. The TACP guy that was in my class cursed a lot, not the mad type though he just couldn't say a sentence without a curse word. Great guy to be around, he was a TSGT and had one MSM already and during class it was announced that he was approved for a 2nd one. You could tell by the way he spoke and carried himself that something was "different". Then come to know that he has not been on an Air Force base for the longest. He had spent many of his years of service on Army installations or deployed with Army so he had absorbed much more Army culture than Air Force which at this point is debatable to say if that's a good or bad thing.
    Antes de que vengas a juzgarme por que escribo el inglés con errores te pregunto: Cuantos idiomas tu hablas?! Solo uno? Y vienes a juzgar mi inteligencia?! Por favor mirate en el espejo y veras en él reflejo la imagen clara de la estupidez...

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    558
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Too Soft?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bunch View Post
    As far as that goes then is not my place to opine because I never been exposed to that type of work center. The closest that I've been to special ops is crossing paths with some TACP's and SERE guys at ALS and recruiting school. The TACP guy that was in my class cursed a lot, not the mad type though he just couldn't say a sentence without a curse word. Great guy to be around, he was a TSGT and had one MSM already and during class it was announced that he was approved for a 2nd one. You could tell by the way he spoke and carried himself that something was "different". Then come to know that he has not been on an Air Force base for the longest. He had spent many of his years of service on Army installations or deployed with Army so he had absorbed much more Army culture than Air Force which at this point is debatable if that's a good or bad thing.
    Exactly. I was TACP for 11 yrs. I hated being on an AF when I was JTAC instructor on Nellis. The only thing AF about TACPs is the name tape......when they wear them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •