Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Education Requirements for AAF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Education Requirements for AAF

Quote Originally Posted by Chief_KO View Post
    Lt Col socal1200r,

So to support your enlisted personnel (and unit as a whole) at PME graduations, annual awards, SNCO inductions, etc. you must have borrowed a mess dress. I would hate to think that you would just turn your back on your Airmen's accomplishments...
    Chief

Let me put out a few more details. I've got over 25 years in, mainly in the ANG and AFR. Was on TAD for five years, right up to when I pinned on O5, and never attended any function that required a mess dress (dining ins, dining outs, AF Balls, etc), not my thing. However, had no issues attending ceremonies in Class As, which were few and far between. And I hope you're not one to disparage the ANG or AFR, since we all go thru the same training and schools, fly the same platforms, wear the same uniform, etc. I was a commander on G-series orders with UCMJ authority in Iraq, and had over 100 active duty people working for me, and wouldn't have traded that experience for anything. Now being a commander in CONUS is an entirely different thing, where I'm sure I would've had to invest in a mess dress for those group, wing, and higher dog and pony shows...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by socal1200r View Post
    Chief

Let me put out a few more details. I've got over 25 years in, mainly in the ANG and AFR. Was on TAD for five years, right up to when I pinned on O5, and never attended any function that required a mess dress (dining ins, dining outs, AF Balls, etc), not my thing. However, had no issues attending ceremonies in Class As, which were few and far between. And I hope you're not one to disparage the ANG or AFR, since we all go thru the same training and schools, fly the same platforms, wear the same uniform, etc. I was a commander on G-series orders with UCMJ authority in Iraq, and had over 100 active duty people working for me, and wouldn't have traded that experience for anything. Now being a commander in CONUS is an entirely different thing, where I'm sure I would've had to invest in a mess dress for those group, wing, and higher dog and pony shows...
    Sir I appreciate the additional information. I had never heard of any officer (AD, ANG, or AFRC) who did not have a mess dress, be it purchased or passed down.
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Lt Col socal1200r,

So to support your enlisted personnel (and unit as a whole) at PME graduations, annual awards, SNCO inductions, etc. you must have borrowed a mess dress. I would hate to think that you would just turn your back on your Airmen's accomplishments...
    You beat me to it. I started routinely attending ALS graduations, Chief Induction Ceremonies and Annual Awards Banquets as a 2LT. I'm sure the Lt Col borrowed a mess dress for all of these important events recognizing our enlisted force.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by socal1200r View Post
    Chief

Make-believe Lt Col (ANG)? Just kidding...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    You really can't compare the US military to militaries of most other First World countries. First off, relative to their countries' population, their militaries are a hell of a lot smaller than ours and are WAY more selective about who they let in, because they CAN be.

Hell, the British military will only take those who are UK citizens by birth. Naturalized citizens can't even join. Where, in the US, many non-citizens join in order TO become citizens faster.

The US military will NEVER have those requirements.

I would actually have no problem with the military requiring a degree in order for people to enlist... as long as they require a higher one for officers, and will never require enlisted to attain that level of degree during their careers.
    I think those UK citizens also include commonweath country citizens.
    Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop, TSgt, USAF
    Deputy Executive Assistant for the Assistant Deputy Chief
    HQ COBRA
    867-5309
    :ranger

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do taskers on their behalf.

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer!"- Arnold Schwarzenegger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Education requirements for enlisted (minus CCAF) are ridiculous. I have my CCAF and a BA. That should be enough.
    “To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.” - Unknown

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries

The USMC mess dress uniform is not priced at $400. For anyone SSGT and above, the entire monkey suit costs a lot more than that.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Lt Col socal1200r,

For one, the Airmen don't really care if the Commander is there or not. As a matter of fact, it's a pain in the ass having to do the whole invitation thing. In addition to that, we certainly don't care whether they are wearing a mess dress or not.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    For one, the Airmen don't really care if the Commander is there or not. As a matter of fact, it's a pain in the ass having to do the whole invitation thing. In addition to that, we certainly don't care whether they are wearing a mess dress or not.
    I didn't say Amn Snuffy would care how their commander was dressed. The point is that attendees to any event wear the proper attire. Even Amn Snuffy would notice if his commander, first sergeant, or chief is not attending an event honor Snuffy's achievement. While Snuffy may not say anything to leadership, he will certainly voice his displeasure to his peers and most certainly put forth only the minimum amount of effort necessary to stay out of trouble.

Did I attend every event as a supervisor, SNCO, or chief? Of course not. If I could not, I always told my Airman in advance that I would be unable to attend, give the reason, and be sure to congratulate them later.

This goes beyond someone's rank, uniform, position...it's called common courtesy and respect.
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

I suppose...if you consider completion of PME an achievement.