Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: It's about damn time!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: It's about damn time!

Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    I must say though that my real point is that I don't buy the 'quote'. It is a instagram meme which reflects no actual quote or facts for that matter. I want to hear about the CEO of a company employing 3000 people with sales of $100 million that gets paid $5 million in compensation. I realize I am ignoring the point of the meme but it struck me as painfully obvious that it was born of ignorance.
    Not that far-fetched, GM's new CEO nets slightly less than $5M it seems, which actually lends argument to the gender wage gap because her male predecessor left with double that (and even slightly exceeds that with his pension. Even though she took the job with 33 years of experience with the company and her predecessor had zilch in the auto industry.)
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." ~ Thomas Jefferson

It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.
    James Madison

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AJBIGJ View Post
    Not that far-fetched, GM's new CEO nets slightly less than $5M it seems, which actually lends argument to the gender wage gap because her male predecessor left with double that (and even slightly exceeds that with his pension. Even though she took the job with 33 years of experience with the company and her predecessor had zilch in the auto industry.)
    The reason I say born of ignorance is because in the corporate world, $100 million in sales and a workforce of 3000 does not generally warrant a $5 million annual paycheck. It takes something like GM's sales to get that. Again, the 'quote' is bullshit.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The reason I say born of ignorance is because in the corporate world, $100 million in sales and a workforce of 3000 does not generally warrant a $5 million annual paycheck. It takes something like GM's sales to get that. Again, the 'quote' is bullshit.
    Ah, I interpreted the reverse case, my mistake, I was under the impression people were implying $5 M is low balling the compensation.
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." ~ Thomas Jefferson

It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.
    James Madison

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Well I did spend a lot of time sitting on my arse in the 80's but as imnohero has pointed out and I have said I am no car guy (although I don't quite know why my pointing out the hemi designation has nothing to do with the number of sparkplugs led to that statement). No comic books or car trader for me. I tended towards fiction in the Tom Clancy style.
    Actually it is related in a roundabout way, the the hemispherical head increases the size of the combustion chamber and allows the air to flow in one side and out the other (as opposed to reverse flow, where the air flows in, stops, and reverses direction). The Hemi is a cross-flow setup and you gain efficiency and power; however, the drawback can be an increase in un-combusted air-fuel mixture in the exhaust valve. To combat this, later designs of the Hemi incorporated dual spark plugs on each cylinder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Although I should state, not necessarily the reverse being far-fetched, totally depends on the type of business in question. Berkshire Hathaway only employs about 12K employees, and I presume people have heard of its CEO (or would understand 5 seconds into a google search).

James Madison

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    Actually it is related in a roundabout way, the the hemispherical head increases the size of the combustion chamber and allows the air to flow in one side and out the other (as opposed to reverse flow, where the air flows in, stops, and reverses direction). The Hemi is a cross-flow setup and you gain efficiency and power; however, the drawback can be an increase in un-combusted air-fuel mixture in the exhaust valve. To combat this, later designs of the Hemi incorporated dual spark plugs on each cylinder.
    Right, ok. I understand that but the term hemi still refers to the shape of the combustion chamber alone.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AJBIGJ View Post
    Although I should state, not necessarily the reverse being far-fetched, totally depends on the type of business in question. Berkshire Hathaway only employs about 12K employees, and I presume people have heard of its CEO (or would understand 5 seconds into a google search).
    Well, the same search would lead you to the return on investment that BH and other venture capital and private equity companies earn. I would compare that to sales and that number far exceeds $100 million. By the way, should have read more on Google. Buffet only takes a salary of around $100 K each year. The rest of his millions made every year is in capital gains (which is why he only paid the famous 17% income tax rate and my biggest disagreement with Mitt Romney).

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Right, ok. I understand that but the term hemi still refers to the shape of the combustion chamber alone.
    I explain all that to you, and you give me a snotty reply like that?

You are very welcome Sandsjames.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

AA, just skip it. TJ is very invested in being right all the time, even about things he admits he doesn't know about.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    I explain all that to you, and you give me a snotty reply like that?

You are very welcome Sandsjames.
    Did intend to be snotty.