Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Today in CHIEFchat

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Re: Today in CHIEFchat

Quote Originally Posted by VCO View Post
    because we all know every airman has a perfect marriage and is financially savvy. Think bigger than just you.
    And also think that perhaps someone with a less than perfect life DOES have advice to offer..............."don't do the dumb shit I have done". Knowing what led to past mistakes, whoever made them, can help others avoid them.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    And also think that perhaps someone with a less than perfect life DOES have advice to offer..............."don't do the dumb shit I have done". Knowing what led to past mistakes, whoever made them, can help others avoid them.
    There is no room for that kind of talk. We are all supposed to be perfect. Therefore, if we are all perfect, there should be no reason to ask these questions. That's a paradox...hmmmm

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

There are agencies...PROFESSIONALS...paid for and provided by the Air Force. Advice from non-expert supervisors does more harm than good.

Seems like a discussion we've had 100 times but it's simple:

Supervisor during feedback: "Pay your bills, take care of your family and other adult responsibilities. If you have any issues in these areas, any questions, here are the agencies who are trained to give you sound advice and are aware and educated on your options. Let me know you need help and we'll get you to the person who can best do that."

End of story...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

If I were still in I would discuss relations...but do it in the voice of Grandma Klump from the Nutty Professor.
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    There are agencies...PROFESSIONALS...paid for and provided by the Air Force. Advice from non-expert supervisors does more harm than good.

Seems like a discussion we've had 100 times but it's simple:

Supervisor during feedback: "Pay your bills, take care of your family and other adult responsibilities. If you have any issues in these areas, any questions, here are the agencies who are trained to give you sound advice and are aware and educated on your options. Let me know you need help and we'll get you to the person who can best do that."

End of story...
    End of a very simple story perhaps.

I just can't see sending every troop to support agencies for EVERY problem, regardless of it's severity. Military supervisors are responsible for the whole person and sometimes that means getting into the personal life. Sorry if you don't see that. Most problems develop over time and if a supervisor sees it early enough perhaps some well chosen words can help. I had a troop picked up for shoplifting a can of Pringles. The choice of items puzzled me so I asked him about it. He admitted that he had just been hungry. The base had recently allowed single airmen who worked shifts to choose BAS over a meal card (this was in the days of Sopwith Camels. and Eddie Rickenbacker). He was blowing his money and not saving enough to eat. The theft occurred just before payday. I sat down with him and worked out a budget. We got him back on a meal card. After a year he went back on BAS....no problems.

I am not a professional financial advisor BUT have had moments of stupid choices as an airman so was able to leverage that into a lesson for my troop. What the President calls a teachable moment. Should I have sent him to the family support center and its financial advisor (not every sure we had them back then but for the sake of argument....), perhaps.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

End of a very simple story perhaps.

Most problems develop over time and if a supervisor sees it early enough perhaps some well chosen words can help. I had a troop picked up for shoplifting a can of Pringles. The choice of items puzzled me so I asked him about it. He admitted that he had just been hungry. The base had recently allowed single airmen who worked shifts to choose BAS over a meal card (this was in the days of Sopwith Camels. and Eddie Rickenbacker). He was blowing his money and not saving enough to eat. The theft occurred just before payday. I sat down with him and worked out a budget. We got him back on a meal card. After a year he went back on BAS....no problems.
    Interesting....I processed an Article 15 for a Major who got caught shoplifting a Wii remote control from the BX. I hope his supervisor explained to him that grown men shouldn't be playing video games. If he still insisted on video games his supervisor could have counseled him that the Playstation 3 is superior to the Wii and if he is going to steal he needed to make it worthwhile.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    Interesting....I processed an Article 15 for a Major who got caught shoplifting a Wii remote control from the BX. I hope his supervisor explained to him that grown men shouldn't be playing video games. If he still insisted on video games his supervisor could have counseled him that the Playstation 3 is superior to the Wii and if he is going to steal he needed to make it worthwhile.
    He could have been a missileer and has to study for a make up test...and since they are underpaid he was forced the shoplift. Have some empathy..)
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

you know, you are right. The divorced, broke supervisor supervisor WAS that financial savvy, happily married airman at one point.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    I don't know about PS3 being superior to Wii but I am a PC guy myself. Having said that I am going to remain silent on this post since I just got off line from playing Combat Arms and I am older than your major.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VCO View Post
    you know, you are right. The divorced, broke supervisor supervisor WAS that financial savvy, happily married airman at one point.
    There's a point.