Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Jury duty

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,236
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Angry Jury duty

    So, apparently, being selected for local jury duty means we have to pay the US treasury the amount we get paid for serving.

    AFI 51-301 Para 9.27.6
    Liberalism; such great ideas, they need to force you to follow them.

    Socialism is for the people, not the socialist.

    Economic Left/Right: 7.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.08
    politicalcompass.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    everywhere
    Posts
    699
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Jury duty

    That's because if you serve on jury duty, you get paid anyway, unlike most people. There's also the whole "double dipping" thing of getting paid by the government twice.

    On the other hand, you're exempt from jury duty if you are on active duty.

  3. #3
    Senior Member TJMAC77SP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,156
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Jury duty

    Quote Originally Posted by imnohero View Post
    That's because if you serve on jury duty, you get paid anyway, unlike most people. There's also the whole "double dipping" thing of getting paid by the government twice.

    On the other hand, you're exempt from jury duty if you are on active duty.
    Since when? I was called twice in Florida while on active duty. First time I was exempted due to military obligation. The very next month I was called again and was dismissed, not because I was active duty but because I was a cop.

    This was in the 90's. Have things changed since then?
    ___________________
    Read carefully, think, then write thoughtfully……………………………..

    I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,236
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Jury duty

    Quote Originally Posted by imnohero View Post
    That's because if you serve on jury duty, you get paid anyway, unlike most people. There's also the whole "double dipping" thing of getting paid by the government twice.

    On the other hand, you're exempt from jury duty if you are on active duty.
    Read the AFI again, particularly para 9. You are only exempt IF you commander says you can be exempt. For me, I will be good for 10 years because they ask if I am a single parent of children under 12 years old. So I wont be going anymore.
    Liberalism; such great ideas, they need to force you to follow them.

    Socialism is for the people, not the socialist.

    Economic Left/Right: 7.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.08
    politicalcompass.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    everywhere
    Posts
    699
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Jury duty

    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    Since when? I was called twice in Florida while on active duty. First time I was exempted due to military obligation. The very next month I was called again and was dismissed, not because I was active duty but because I was a cop.

    This was in the 90's. Have things changed since then?
    Maybe it depends on the state you live in? I was called in NY, NJ, and WA and all three had a check-box on the return form that said "exempt due to active military service"...I check it and sent it in and never got another notice for any of the 3 states. NY and NJ were in the 90s, WA was in the 00s.

  6. #6
    Senior Member TJMAC77SP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,156
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Jury duty

    Quote Originally Posted by imnohero View Post
    Maybe it depends on the state you live in? I was called in NY, NJ, and WA and all three had a check-box on the return form that said "exempt due to active military service"...I check it and sent it in and never got another notice for any of the 3 states. NY and NJ were in the 90s, WA was in the 00s.
    Yes, it would appear exemptions are dependent on state law.
    ___________________
    Read carefully, think, then write thoughtfully……………………………..

    I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •