Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japan based amphib CMC relieved amid sex assault investigation

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Japan based amphib CMC relieved amid sex assault investigation

http://www.navytimes.com/article/201...-investigation

Navy Times jumped the gun on this one. It is inappropriate (no, just wrong) for them to publicize this without the investigation being completed. Guilty until proven innocent. This is the result of too much social experimentation in the military. This rapid-fire rush to judgement stuff didn't use to happen. Sign of the times I suppose. It only further discredits the senior enlisted, making their job even harder to do. If he happens to be found innocent, he may have a case for character assassination. You would think Navy Times would practice the basic tenets for Journalism 101.

B. M. Burawski
    YNC(SW)(AW), USN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Japan based amphib CMC relieved amid sex assault investigation

Must not have been a team player with the current MCPOON.

Easier to cull the ranks first and ask questions later when you are trying to shape the new mess..

Side note if he is guilty throw the book at him he knows better...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes they did, but then this happens regularly with regard to what the Fourth Estate does. Someone in a high-visibility positiion gets accused of something, their info is publicized, and they end up convicted in the court of public opinion. That's how you sell newspapers, get the high TV ratings, and so on.

If found guilty by a courts-martial, the Sailor needs to be nailed. No question about that.

If innocent, well after this they will have a hard time doing their job. Folks will think they got off on a technicality, it was swept under the rug, etc., and they will not be fully trusted again.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BURAWSKI View Post
    This is the result of too much social experimentation in the military. This rapid-fire rush to judgement stuff didn't use to happen.
    I think they are a civilian newspaper and not likely in cahoots with anyone to bring diminish the Mess, that said ... even though the investigation isn't done yet, this is newsworthy based on the position he held, same as it would be if it was a CO, XO, OIC etc.

It only further discredits the senior enlisted, making their job even harder to do.
    Maybe for some, I think many people are smart enough not to let a few bad apples spoil the whole bunch. At first I wasn't and let a couple of truly bad Chiefs taint my impression of the Mess, then I met a profoundly squared away OSC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stalwart View Post
    I think they are a civilian newspaper and not likely in cahoots with anyone to bring diminish the Mess, that said ... even though the investigation isn't done yet it is newsworthy based on the position he held, same as it would be if it was a CO, XO,
    Bashing Chiefs and officers sells papers. The majority of military is jr enlisted, target the biggest audience.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

The thing that bothers me is that the reputation of someone is damaged, most likely permanently, because of these media reports. It is sensationalism at its finest. I remember during the early 90's during Tailhook what Navy Times was reporting back then and it rivaled that of the National Enquirer. Everyone assumes that this guy is guilty, but what if he isn't? The attitude seems to be that is the cost of being in that position. It shouldn't be that way. As for being a CO I always believed that the CO has absolute responsibility by virtue of being in command. If the Navy is going to fire somebody (and that is what the Navy's first "zero tolerance" reaction always is) then they should at least do it right. I believe in publishing the name if, and only if, it is actually substantiated and proven that wrong doing occurred. Otherwise it is a crime to be publicizing the results of investigations that are not even proven or completed, haven't been substantiated, and quiet possibly could be untrue. Now where is he justice in that? Navy Times should be ashamed. It isn't journalism they are practicing. There is a term for it. It's called muckraking.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

The thing that bothers me is that the reputation of someone is damaged, most likely permanently, because of these media reports. It is sensationalism at its finest. I remember during the early 90's during Tailhook what Navy Times was reporting back then and it rivaled that of the National Enquirer. Everyone assumes that this guy is guilty, but what if he isn't? The attitude seems to be that is the cost of being in that position. It shouldn't be that way. As for being a CO I always believed that the CO has absolute responsibility by virtue of being in command. If the Navy is going to fire somebody (and that is what the Navy's first "zero tolerance" reaction always is) then they should at least do it right. I believe in publishing the name if, and only if, it is actually substantiated and proven that wrong doing occurred. Otherwise it is a crime to be publicizing the results of investigations that are not even proven or completed, haven't been substantiated, and quiet possibly could be untrue. Now where is he justice in that? Navy Times should be ashamed. It isn't journalism they are practicing. There is a term for it. It's called muckraking.
    I just read the article you linked to in the OP, twice, and can not figure out what the hell you are so upset about.

The Navy Times only published what happened; he was removed from his position an assigned to new duties while the investigation proceeds.

They only used quotes from the the official Navy press release, so what in the hell are you so upset about?

It is a news story, after all.

Now you are making reference to the 1991 Tailhook Scandal, an incident where 83 females and 7 men filed complaints of being assaulted or sexually assaulted.

By the way, you do realize that the Navy's first investigation blamed only a few low-ranking enlisted men and left the officers involved untouched.

It was only after, assistant Secretary of the Navy Barbara S. Pope, rejected the findings, and then, the remarks of Rear Adm. Duvall M. Williams were released to the press in a Pentagon report, did the scandal and news coverage widen.

Williams, commander of the naval investigative service and the officer who most directly oversaw the investigation, repeatedly expressed desire to end the probe and on one occasion, told a Navy civilian that he did not believe women belong in military service, according to the report.

On another occasion, the report said, Williams told assistant Secretary of the Navy Barbara S. Pope words to the effect that "a lot of female Navy pilots are go-go dancers, topless dancers or hookers."
    http://tech.mit.edu/V112/N44/tailhook.44w.html

I say your comments and criticism on the press coverage of the Tailhook Scandal are also largely uninformed and wildly inaccurate. It seems to me, that the press played a vital role in revealing an attempted cover up and helped in justice being served.

In my opinion, your remarks making the media out as irresponsible in both matters are over-emotional and misplaced.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    I just read the article you linked to in the OP, twice, and can not figure out what the hell you are so upset about.

The Navy Times only published what happened; he was removed from his position an assigned to new duties while the investigation proceeds.

They only used quotes from the the official Navy press release, so what in the hell are you so upset about?

It is a news story, after all.

Now you are making reference to the 1991 Tailhook Scandal, an incident where 83 females and 7 men filed complaints of being assaulted or sexually assaulted.

By the way, you do realize that the Navy's first investigation blamed only a few low-ranking enlisted men and left the officers involved untouched.

It was only after, assistant Secretary of the Navy Barbara S. Pope, rejected the findings, and then, the remarks of Rear Adm. Duvall M. Williams were released to the press in a Pentagon report, did the scandal and news coverage widen.

Williams, commander of the naval investigative service and the officer who most directly oversaw the investigation, repeatedly expressed desire to end the probe and on one occasion, told a Navy civilian that he did not believe women belong in military service, according to the report.

On another occasion, the report said, Williams told assistant Secretary of the Navy Barbara S. Pope words to the effect that "a lot of female Navy pilots are go-go dancers, topless dancers or hookers."
    http://tech.mit.edu/V112/N44/tailhook.44w.html

I say your comments and criticism on the press coverage of the Tailhook Scandal are also largely uninformed and wildly inaccurate. It seems to me, that the press played a vital role in revealing an attempted cover up and helped in justice being served.

In my opinion, you remarks making the media out as irresponsible in both matters are over-emotional and misplaced.

You have your opinion and I have mine. BTW, I have no problem with you stating your opinion, but I don't think it is necessary for you to comment on my intentions. I tried to make it a point to refrain from attacking individuals for their opinions and stick to the issue at hand. In any event I respect your opinion, I just would hope you respect mine.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

You have your opinion and I have mine. BTW, I have no problem with you stating your opinion, but I don't think it is necessary for you to comment on my intentions. I tried to make it a point to refrain from attacking individuals for their opinions and stick to the issue at hand. In any event I respect your opinion, I just would hope you respect mine.
    I fail to see how my stated opinion of your remarks as being over-emotional and misplaced are an attack, or in any way, point to your intentions. I also think I did stick to the issue at hand.

If it makes you feel any better, I do respect your opinion; however, I happen to think it is over-emotional and misplaced.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Umm, yeah sure. Whatever. Now what was the issue again? Oh yeah, that's right.