Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Air Force Wood & The I Luv Me Wall

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Air Force Wood & The I Luv Me Wall

Over the course of my career, I received a good amount of medals, plaques, certificates, and going away presents.

I have never displayed any of it; some of the stuff, I threw away on the spot, the rest, I packed away with the intention of displaying it in a study, or "man cave" during my retirement years.

I am approaching seven years into my retirement, all that stuff is still in boxes, and I have decided to go travel and work abroad for a few years. It has been a dream of mine, and I'm going for it.

I am currently in the process of getting rid of the vast majority of my possessions, not just the military stuff, but furniture, kitchen wares, electronics, everything. I am keeping two cartons of belongings in the attic of my sister's house, but that's it.

This is fucking with my head a little, I haven't had those boxes of medals, certificates, plaques and desk clocks open in several years. I probably just could have carried those sealed boxes of mementos strait to the dumpster and it would have been so much easier.

Instead, I opened them and started sorting through them and was hit by a wave of nostalgia. I'm keeping only a select few items and I feel like shit for tossing this stuff, but I'm sure I'll get over it.

Can anyone relate to this?

On a separate note, has anyone ever sold BDU's, and assorted "field gear" to a military surplus store? I wonder if it is worth the hassle to try to make a few bucks off some of the other gear that I have packed away?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Air Force Wood & The I Luv Me Wall

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    On a separate note, has anyone ever sold BDU's, and assorted "field gear" to a military surplus store? I wonder if it is worth the hassle to try to make a few bucks off some of the other gear that I have packed away?
    I sold a lot of my BDU stuff on ebay. Made a decent amount, considering...well...you know.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Over the course of my career, I received a good amount of medals, plaques, certificates, and going away presents.

I have never displayed any of it; some of the stuff, I threw away on the spot, the rest, I packed away with the intention of displaying it in a study, or "man cave" during my retirement years.

I am approaching seven years into my retirement, all that stuff is still in boxes, and I have decided to go travel and work abroad for a few years. It has been a dream of mine, and I'm going for it.

I am currently in the process of getting rid of the vast majority of my possessions, not just the military stuff, but furniture, kitchen wares, electronics, everything. I am keeping two cartons of belongings in the attic of my sister's house, but that's it.

This is fucking with my head a little, I haven't had those boxes of medals, certificates, plaques and desk clocks open in several years. I probably just could have carried those sealed boxes of mementos strait to the dumpster and it would have been so much easier.

Instead, I opened them and started sorting through them and was hit by a wave of nostalgia. I'm keeping only a select few items and I feel like shit for tossing this stuff, but I'm sure I'll get over it.

Can anyone relate to this?

The awards you earn are the immediate recognition you receive for what you did then. Years later, you look back on the awards and it reminds you that all those years of hard work and long hours to accomplish the mission actually meant something and helps validates your service. I've got my awards hanging in my "home office," where I'm the only one who sees them, and they remind me of what I've done and where I've been.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah. I am still on AD but am not a plaque hanger. I have a few things in my office that are important to me but mostly war booty and souvenir type things. A war club that I got in Fiji. It is presented to thier Chiefs and I thought it was cool. An old Persian rifle, an Afghan rug thing depicting the planes hitting the towers, a hat from the ship TSgt John Chapman, given to me by his Mom, an Iraqi radio etc. Guess I was getting a little nostalgic myself. Anywho, I don't know what to do with those plaques I have boxed up. I am thinking I'll pull all of my medal citations out of the puffies and put them in a folder. Keep the shadow box and coins. That will be about it. In the interest of full disclosure, I did hang my degrees in my office, including the CCAF.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Boy scouts love that stuff. I'd donate it to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Alfredo View Post
    Rules for the sake of rules makes for mindless policy and engenders a lack of respect for those who enact and enforce them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Took all my pieces of paper (diplomas, certificates, photos, letters, programs, etc.) and placed into three scrapbooks. Scrapbooks have the AF crest on the cover (available at Michael's...use the coupons from the Sunday paper!)
    Hung my shadow box and Chief memorabillia in a corner of our basement family room, all the other stuff is in a large footlocker painted with American flags (from Hobby Lobby...use the coupons from the Sunday paper!)
    Got rid of all my old uniforms (except one of each type) and stored in plastic totes in basement with all the other storage stuff.
    I do wear my AF PTU when cutting the grass...it's ventilated and keeps the sun off my arms & legs (skin cancer) and is loose enough to cover my knee braces. Plus the rustling sound is so soothing.
    Be proud of your service, whether its on display or not is up to you, but keep those things that have meaning and can bring a smile or reminder of good (or bad) times.
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My shadow box kind of sums everything up for me so I don't display anything else. I don't even know where any of my stuff is. It's separated and all stored in various places. If I opened it maybe I would display some things...but I really doubt it. Really, the only thing I will ever not throw away are the old pictures of deployments, patches, and so-forth. It's funny, now that we are in the digital age I've lost almost all my pictures through various computer hard drive crashes and so-forth. I was just never very good at digitally organizing and backing stuff up. All I really have is the old hard copy photo's.
    "Respect My Authoritah!" - Eric Cartman

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BRUWIN View Post
    My shadow box kind of sums everything up for me so I don't display anything else. I don't even know where any of my stuff is. It's separated and all stored in various places. If I opened it maybe I would display some things...but I really doubt it. Really, the only thing I will ever not throw away are the old pictures of deployments, patches, and so-forth. It's funny, now that we are in the digital age I've lost almost all my pictures through various computer hard drive crashes and so-forth. I was just never very good at digitally organizing and backing stuff up. All I really have is the old hard copy photo's.
    Rainmaker's ex-wife #2 burned all his pics. So, Now he just have to try and rely on the Mental highlight reel. But, the details startin to be getting fuzzy. Nomsayin?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DWWSWWD View Post
    Yeah. I am still on AD but am not a plaque hanger. I have a few things in my office that are important to me but mostly war booty and souvenir type things. A war club that I got in Fiji. It is presented to thier Chiefs and I thought it was cool. An old Persian rifle, an Afghan rug thing depicting the planes hitting the towers, a hat from the ship TSgt John Chapman, given to me by his Mom, an Iraqi radio etc. Guess I was getting a little nostalgic myself. Anywho, I don't know what to do with those plaques I have boxed up. I am thinking I'll pull all of my medal citations out of the puffies and put them in a folder. Keep the shadow box and coins. That will be about it. In the interest of full disclosure, I did hang my degrees in my office, including the CCAF.
    Its ok to get nostalgic about it. But, its never really a good idea to bring the war booty home wiff you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BRUWIN View Post
    My shadow box kind of sums everything up...
    I'm assuming your shadow box consists of an Article 15 & a model of a piece of crap F-111?