Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: No more IDP for the Deid

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: No more IDP for the Deid

I remember losing BAS when deployed (mid 80's), even for local training deployments. Fill out the travel voucher, get $0 in travel pay (no per diem) & lose BAS on top of it. And those were the days of the dehydrated MREs! I don't support pulling BAS when deployed, but I do support pulling the $3.50 a day per diem for "incidentals"....exactly what incidentals are there in Tent City????

I don't think making BAS/BAH part of the pay is a good idea...for one it will be taxable and unless you paid everyone (and set a flat BAH rate) retirement pay would fluctuate between the guy who retired at a low cost area vs a guy who retired at a high cost area.
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Automatically pay everyone BAS once they become permanent party (after initial tech training). Think of the time/money savings in BAS re-certification etc. Also it could help some Airmen with diet/budget management. We have a contracted dining facility along with the FSS facilities (club, bowling alley) where meal card Airmen can eat "for free". Not uncommon for me to see them order two burgers (each 1/3 lb) or two overstuffed burritos, that would be a $14 lunch for a cash payer...
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SgtS View Post
    Remember, there WAS a suicide/car bombing at the U.S. Embassy in Turkey back in Feb 2013. I'm sure that factured into that decision.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...5f6_story.html

I wouldn't call Turkey super dangerous per se, but it isn't puppies and kittens over there either.
    Neither is East St. Louis. But folks at Scott AFB aren't getting IDP for it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
    I hate the BAS scam. Just put the money in my base pay so I can collect the retirement off of it.
    It's already in your pay. It's called base pay! What other employer pays you a separate food allowance over and above your pay? Makes no sense to pay this, but definitely makes no sense to pay it to deployed people. I know, you're a SrA with four kids and a wife with a GED, so you NEED this money.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CJSmith View Post
    Neither is East St. Louis. But folks at Scott AFB aren't getting IDP for it.
    But there's probably a Commanders policy letter on safety that advises no travel to ESL. IDP should also be paid at Nellis & Maxwell as well.
    Ft Meade should receive IDP, HP, & COLA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chief_KO View Post
    But there's probably a Commanders policy letter on safety that advises no travel to ESL. IDP should also be paid at Nellis & Maxwell as well.
    Ft Meade should receive IDP, HP, & COLA
    Lol, there is no policy letter that advises to stay out of an entire city. I know you're joking as well but my joke was there are far more places in good ole US of A that are more dangerous than places that receive IDP. East St. Louis being one of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS, USAF (ret) View Post
    It's already in your pay. It's called base pay! What other employer pays you a separate food allowance over and above your pay? Makes no sense to pay this, but definitely makes no sense to pay it to deployed people. I know, you're a SrA with four kids and a wife with a GED, so you NEED this money.
    It's not in my pay. There is a separate line on my LES that says BAS $XXX.XX. Put the money in my base pay (even though it's taxed) so it goes against my retirement. Chief KO, I did not mention BAH at all in my previous post for specifically that reason, only BAS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

BAS is given to everyone in the AF? Really?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DocBones View Post
    BAS is given to everyone in the AF? Really?
    BAS is given to those who don't live in the barracks. In the AF, this usually happens around the E-4 timeframe.

Don't Marines stay in the barracks until like E-6 or so?
    Must be nice to have breakfest with family....Maintenance guys have got it made-BRUWIN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

While I was a member, for people below E6, if we weren't married, BAS/BAQ was something that you had to be married to acquire.

Are the chow halls so limited that y'all can't eat on base? Are there no barracks to live in?