Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving plans

Retired
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanksgiving plans

What is everyone up to for Thanksgiving. The Cross family is all together. No extracurricular activities this week. No work. Just three kids and parents chilling. We plan on having dinner with the extended Cross family. Should be a ton of fun. Tonight will be an epic game of Apples to Apples and maybe Beat the Parents.

We will have Cross Family pictures this week too. However, any shopping will be done online. None of mayhem for us

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Thanksgiving plans

We are half-way between where the families in the family, so we're hosting Thanksgiving for the 5th time in 6 years. I can't complain, we were home for Thanksgiving twice in 21 years when I was AD.

Best Thanksgiving: 1997, Keflavik, Iceland. My family was in base housing (the kids were 10 and 1, we were early-mid 30s) and we had 3 guys from the dorms over for dinner. We ate around Noon, two of the guys had another dinner later, one had 2 more. All three said they were glad they ate good at our place, because at the other places the people were newlyweds and didn't know how to cook.
    "Wrong" is one of those concepts that requires witnesses. Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Beach.... In fact I'm posting this as I sit on the 12th floor balcony of a condo, listening to the waves, and drinking a glass of wine.

I'm going to enjoy this holiday!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Staying local, Black Friday is duty for me...
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." ~ Thomas Jefferson

It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood.
    James Madison

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As of last count deep frying 5 turkeys. Going to inject them the night before, 2 Wednesday and 3 Thursday. Trying to find one more to burn so I can get the most out of my oil. You can do 3 per jug and I don't want to waste a burn since I have two jugs ready to go. Funny thing is I do it every year and by the time I am done I don't even want to eat any. My friends and neighbors are always happy with them that's what matters.

Friday I start my meat sauce for a large batch of lasagna on Saturday. I like to cook what can I say.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Just the three of us at home, deep frying turkey breast, ham in crockpot, sage dressing with apples, macaroni & cheese, green bean casserole, bread pudding, and Gluwhein. Looking forward to a four day weekend. Was planning on hanging Christmas lights, decorating the trees, etc. but looks like I've torn my rotator cuff again. Seeing my ortho surgeon mid Dec. Probably gonna have another operation (this will be number 4...two on each shoulder). Not looking forward to this one...
    "Never force a fart in Djibouti"..."Always marry your second wife first"..."If anyone says that you're not a team player, maybe they're on the wrong team"..."You can gold plate a turd and it's still a turd"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I'm doing like I've done for years, I'm staying home and not observing it. It's not that I don't like Thanksgiving it's just like most holidays they just don't really have any meaning anymore because they've been commercialized. I'd rather they do like they do in England and just call a day off a Bank Holiday.

The only holiday I observe is the 4th of July because that has actual meaning to me.

For the rest of you who are observing Thanksgiving, have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Don't overeat, over drink, and please don't get into any arguments with your crazy relatives.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

A good friend of mine is the CO of a unit at Ft. Meade and he and his family are going to the dining hall and we are going with them to the base, then his family is coming to our house for dessert, games and cocoa.

Of note ... this is our last Thanksgiving 'alone' ... we should be leaving to bring our daughter home from China in a few weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Early morning jiu jitsu (Turkey Roll) to free up some calories. We have a couple of friends coming over later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The wife, kid and I are heading to Macon to eat at the Indian restaurant there. We don't really celebrate Thanksgiving, so that's it for us.