Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you deal with people like this?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

How do you deal with people like this?

How do you deal with the people in your shop who are either deployed or on a short tour without their family and expect you to stay at work for longer hours and take part in EVERY single activity just because they are stuck at a location and have no interest in going to the gym, meeting new people, exploring a country or just being left alone. I got into a huge argument when after working my shift I was asked what I was going to do after work because a co worker needed help with someone. I replied that I was going to do home work and go to the gym, I then got the verbal assault that I always leave work a minute after my relief comes in. I explained that I don't get a lunch break, and I don't get time for PT on shift like the non worker bees, and that physical fitness is part of the military and I should be allotted time to do so and that it was after my shift so I don't see anything wrong with this. Luckily my supervisor overheard and backed me up. My supervisor wanted to know why I was the one being asked to help 10 minutes before my shift ended and why ask me for help if there were 4 other non worker bees around doing nothing and they were still on shift for another 3-4 hours.

So my question is...how do you deal with situations like this where people with really nothing else to do want to stay at work longer or put themselves in the situation where more is asked or required of them and they expect you to follow their standards and life style choices.

Also, can someone force you to stay late after work and if they are allowed to where does the line draw? I realize not everyone knows the situation but my motivation to work hard at work is so I can leave work on time and I don't see anything wrong with that. There is also a double standard at my shop where education is focused on only when its convenient. For example, I mentioned I had a lot of school work to do and assignments due before the weekend and that the military is making education a requirement and I was told its not a requirement yet. However this very same individual constantly presses education and self improvement. So is education important only when this person sees fit or when its convenient for them?

I'm sorry for this long rant but every day I grow more resentful towards the military where a person who works hard gets punished and those who slack off and stay late are seen as the standard.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Re: How do you deal with people like this?

Regarding the education part: are you receiving TA?
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by efmbman View Post
    Regarding the education part: are you receiving TA?
    Yeah I am receiving TA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Deal with it just how you did. Whats the big deal?

And yes it is legal. It could always be worse.

http://www.stripes.com/news/us/fort-...ilies-1.254694

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowless View Post
    Yeah I am receiving TA.
    Good. I have had to use that to make the command understand the principle of TA in the past. When the command signs off on TA, they are giving their blessing to spend money on your education. By not allowing you the oportunity to excel in the course, they are contradicting their blessing and at that point should have a vested interest in your academic success. When I would tell my Sergeant Major / Colonel that a troop is not getting ample time to focus on schoolwork, they would always ask about TA. Then the phone would light up with the head-shed telling the junior commander to back off. Education is stressed by all branches as a discriminator for promotions - it makes no sense to sign off on TA to get you in a class and then not give you the chance to excel in the same class.

The other part is simply sad. Some folks are married to the service and expect everyone else to be as well. You can't pick your bosses.
    When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk.
    -GEN Bruce C. Clarke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A few possible suggestions.
    - Have this person (I assume he/she is your supervisor or at least out ranks you) write a letter to the education office, signed by the commander stating you have to drop the course and waive paying back TA. The reason should be for duty requirements. 50/50 shot of this working or back firing depending on your commanders view of education. You have a good shot if the CC is prior enlisted.
    - Explain to this person your superior time management skills. I've used this argument in the past and it worked.
    - Come in an hour before this person. When you go to leave "on time" and they call you on it, say you've been there since 0600 and have, or whatever time.
    - You're in Korea, it's only a year.
    - Invite this person to the gym with you. Make it an "appointment", like an hour after shift change.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by akruse View Post
    Deal with it just how you did. Whats the big deal?

And yes it is legal. It could always be worse.

http://www.stripes.com/news/us/fort-...ilies-1.254694
    It's legal, as long as it can be justified as is the case in the article; or to get work done.

But to simply keep someone late for punishment is considered unauthorized detention (Article 97). You have to be authorized to award NJPs, AND restricting someone from going home has to be a result of that NJP.

Don't get me wrong - they find ways around that all the time, and even if they make no effort to "get around" it and simply keep you there for punishment... you will lose that battle if you try to fight it. But, Article 97 prohibits it nonetheless. Even though it's not enforced.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 71Fish View Post
    A few possible suggestions.
    - Have this person (I assume he/she is your supervisor or at least out ranks you) write a letter to the education office, signed by the commander stating you have to drop the course and waive paying back TA. The reason should be for duty requirements. 50/50 shot of this working or back firing depending on your commanders view of education. You have a good shot if the CC is prior enlisted.
    - Explain to this person your superior time management skills. I've used this argument in the past and it worked.
    - Come in an hour before this person. When you go to leave "on time" and they call you on it, say you've been there since 0600 and have, or whatever time.
    - You're in Korea, it's only a year.
    - Invite this person to the gym with you. Make it an "appointment", like an hour after shift change.
    I appreciate the suggestions.

Why should I have to drop the class? I am 4 classes away from my Masters degree, I think by now I know how to manage education.

Believe it or not I am a grown ass man and I know how to manage my time well enough to the point that when it comes time for me to leave work on time I leave work on time.

I am a shift worker so I am already in work 2 hours before the non worker bees show up.

Korea is great, which is why I like to leave work on time so I can enjoy a new country and culture, I am sorry that certain people want to stay after work or in their rooms all day because their family is not here. Sucks for you.

Again, I am a shift worker. I work different shifts and I don't think a non worker bee would enjoy going to the gym at 11pm at night or whatever time it is that day.

Sorry to sound like a smart ass, I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowless View Post
    I appreciate the suggestions.

Why should I have to drop the class? I am 4 classes away from my Masters degree, I think by now I know how to manage education.

Believe it or not I am a grown ass man and I know how to manage my time well enough to the point that when it comes time for me to leave work on time I leave work on time.

I am a shift worker so I am already in work 2 hours before the non worker bees show up.

Korea is great, which is why I like to leave work on time so I can enjoy a new country and culture, I am sorry that certain people want to stay after work or in their rooms all day because their family is not here. Sucks for you.

Again, I am a shift worker. I work different shifts and I don't think a non worker bee would enjoy going to the gym at 11pm at night or whatever time it is that day.

Sorry to sound like a smart ass, I appreciate your comments and suggestions.
    The letter to drop the class is to make a point, not to actually drop a class.

If you don't like the suggestions you may get on a public forum, don't ask.
    You're working on your Masters, you should be smart enough by now to figure this stuff out on your own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Sorry boss, can't stay. Gotta get to class. Bye!"

Easy as pie. Of course, I'm kind of a dick that way and don't let my bosses play their games.

When I was in Japan it was really sad to see the army guys regularly getting pulled out of class for work details. After a while, they would have to drop the classes. It was as if their leadership just didn't give a damn about the money being wasted. I have no idea if they were on any form of TA but being army E-2's and stuff I seriously doubt they were paying out of pocket, except for books. Imagine the air force trying that. Some pro-super walks in and says, "You, you and you, come with me. Time to rake leaves!" That would go over like a fart in church.
    For the record I am not: AF Communicator, Comm Guy, Comm Chief, CommGuy, CommGuy 72, COMMGUY8, Comm_Guy, Comm_O or satcomman.

I doubt anyone else cares but it was bothering me. Is there an OCD emoticon?