Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you deal with people like this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: How do you deal with people like this?

I will frequently remind anyone that work at the end of that day will still be waiting the next morning. I also usually throw up two fingers over my head as I'm walking out the door along with a, "Peace out, yo".
    Advice from JD2780:

"don't post angry"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Off-duty education...is just that. You get to do it off-duty. If a supervisor or anyone who out ranks you ask you to stay late, rake leaves, pick up butts, empty the trash, or to continue working...you do what is required. If you miss a class...so be it. 100% of the instructors understand...'duty comes 1st'.

Why do some forget....'YOU ARE IN THE MILITARY'.

Comm Guy. Sounds almost exactly what happened to one of my guys awhile back. Short tasking came up, did not have time to explain to SSgt why I needed him....I just did. I gave him orders on the time critical task and went to another area. Came back 45-minutes later...he was gone. Asked around..."he packed up and went to class". Really? The outcome: SSgt had to drop two classes, and earned himself an LOR. CC could have did Art 15...but I gave him a break.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Personally, I 'd say something about my CCC expects me to have a CCAF to be a triple threat so I better go get it done. He would understand if I was missing mission....
    Advice from JD2780:

"don't post angry"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good to be back....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

missed you :grouphug
    Advice from JD2780:

"don't post angry"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I had an NCOIC that would play this little game. He would constantly volunteer for stuff or take in all this extra work and then dish it out to us to do...and then he would take the credit. So we would have to work well past our time to go home so he would look good. Finally we had enough and called him out on it in front of the Chief and CC and I'm not sure if anything was said to him, but we weren't asked to stay late anymore to work on anything.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by raustin0017 View Post
    Off-duty education...is just that. You get to do it off-duty. If a supervisor or anyone who out ranks you ask you to stay late, rake leaves, pick up butts, empty the trash, or to continue working...you do what is required. If you miss a class...so be it. 100% of the instructors understand...'duty comes 1st'.

Why do some forget....'YOU ARE IN THE MILITARY'.

Comm Guy. Sounds almost exactly what happened to one of my guys awhile back. Short tasking came up, did not have time to explain to SSgt why I needed him....I just did. I gave him orders on the time critical task and went to another area. Came back 45-minutes later...he was gone. Asked around..."he packed up and went to class". Really? The outcome: SSgt had to drop two classes, and earned himself an LOR. CC could have did Art 15...but I gave him a break.
    I'm of two minds about this: if it was a one-time or rarely-occurring thing, I'd agree with raustin0017. If it happens frequently, or, more importantly to me, is due to mismanagement on behalf of the mid-level supervisor, I'd expect a senior NCO to step in and unf@ck the situation. Sure, there are sometimes going to be exigent circumstances where the mission needs to get done. However, if it's one of those cases where piss-poor planning on the part of someone else is (allegedly) constituting an (false) emergency for me, I gotta call BS. As a flight commander, if I saw this sort of thing happening more than once in a great while for no good reason, it wouldn't be the poor Airman who suffered, it would be the crappy time-manager who would be picking up butts or raking leaves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Alfredo View Post
    I'm of two minds about this: if it was a one-time or rarely-occurring thing, I'd agree with raustin0017. If it happens frequently, or, more importantly to me, is due to mismanagement on behalf of the mid-level supervisor, I'd expect a senior NCO to step in and unf@ck the situation. Sure, there are sometimes going to be exigent circumstances where the mission needs to get done. However, if it's one of those cases where piss-poor planning on the part of someone else is (allegedly) constituting an (false) emergency for me, I gotta call BS. As a flight commander, if I saw this sort of thing happening more than once in a great while for no good reason, it wouldn't be the poor Airman who suffered, it would be the crappy time-manager who would be picking up butts or raking leaves.
    Yup. Daily duties serve today's AF and country. Education builds tomorrow's AF and country. Sometimes you have to stay late - mission has to be done. Teachers understand that, especially in schools that cater to military people. I was TDY constantly while finishing my Master's degree. Just took my books with me wherever I went and went to class when I was home. Never a problem. Heck, I wrote my final paper for the Master's degree in a hotel room in Virginia while TDY. But, as Capt (you a major now?) Alfredo says, if it's a case of consistently bad management on the part of the supervisor, I'd make damned sure that problem got fixed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The problem is if you have good time management skills you're punished for it. It doesn't matter the volume of work you do. If Johnny dirtbag stays until 7 pm he's considered the harder worker regardless of the fact he spent the extra hours at the smoke pit playing angry birds on his phone. It's really hard to overcome that, even if you're doing twice the work he is.

I'm not saying that's right, I'm saying that's the way it is.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by technomage1 View Post
    The problem is if you have good time management skills you're punished for it. It doesn't matter the volume of work you do. If Johnny dirtbag stays until 7 pm he's considered the harder worker regardless of the fact he spent the extra hours at the smoke pit playing angry birds on his phone. It's really hard to overcome that, even if you're doing twice the work he is.

I'm not saying that's right, I'm saying that's the way it is.
    True and I don't understand it never did. I worked like a slave doing long hrs and all of that. THe guy who got the props came in little before work and bounced RIGHT at COB. After awhile I figured "To hell with this" I come in early only because it's a habit but unless World War 3 is starting or they need me for something I'm out at COB..."See you all tomorrow".
    Formerly Enigmatic Airman...