Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Idiots at the gym.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Re: Idiots at the gym.

If you're camping out on one piece of equipment for ten minutes with your face buried into your smartphone, then you're a D-bag.

If you're the recently retired dude scoping out the young 1-striper and 2LT hunnies in the gym while wearing mirrored aviator sunglasses, then you're one smooth dude.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

People that grunt like they are taking a giant steamer while doing deadlifts (with entirely too much weight) and toss the weight down on the floor afterwards. I see mostly Army doing this. I laugh when they toss the weight down on their shins. Nothing like walking around the gym bloody.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Back in '07 or '08, I had some Army dude ask me for a spot in a gym in BFE Iraq. Dude looked like Olive Oil. He put two 45 lb plates on the bar (135 lbs) and attempted to lift the weight and promptly dropped it on himself. I felt kind of shitty for not having enough time to react, but seriously.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

When I was rehabbing my shoulder, one of the things I did was bench press. I had to lift the bar alone, which doesn't weigh much. Anyway, I'm lifting along feeling kind of foolish but following doctors orders when some putz comes over and starts to spot me.

Me: I'm fine, thanks.
    Putz: But you need a spotter.
    Me: No, I don't. Look, I can lift the bar with one arm. (Lifts with good arm) I'm doing some physical therapy. I'm good.
    Putz: No, I need to stay. It's no problem.

So I finish my sets with the sissy weight and putz standing over me like I'm doing the bench press with the equivalent of a Buick on there or something. Sigh. I'm sure we presented quite a picture. And he was dead serious about this, it wasn't a joke.

To put it in the terms of the thread, if you insist on spotting someone pressing low amounts of weight, you're a douche.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by technomage1 View Post
    When I was rehabbing my shoulder, one of the things I did was bench press. I had to lift the bar alone, which doesn't weigh much. Anyway, I'm lifting along feeling kind of foolish but following doctors orders when some putz comes over and starts to spot me.

Me: I'm fine, thanks.
    Putz: But you need a spotter.
    Me: No, I don't. Look, I can lift the bar with one arm. (Lifts with good arm) I'm doing some physical therapy. I'm good.
    Putz: No, I need to stay. It's no problem.

So I finish my sets with the sissy weight and putz standing over me like I'm doing the bench press with the equivalent of a Buick on there or something. Sigh. I'm sure we presented quite a picture. And he was dead serious about this, it wasn't a joke.

To put it in the terms of the thread, if you insist on spotting someone pressing low amounts of weight, you're a douche.
    That is weird. Maybe he liked you? Never heard of people insisting on spotting a stranger.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VCO View Post
    That is weird. Maybe he liked you? Never heard of people insisting on spotting a stranger.
    Never heard or saw him again. Who knows?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS, USAF (ret) View Post
    If you're camping out on one piece of equipment for ten minutes with your face buried into your smartphone, then you're a D-bag.

If you're the recently retired dude scoping out the young 1-striper and 2LT hunnies in the gym while wearing mirrored aviator sunglasses, then you're one smooth dude.
    Is your ringtone Sade's Smooth Operator? If yes, you could be "that guy". Keep doing what you're doing until you get maced, or tasered, or beaten severely by a hottie with a black-belt.
    "Wrong" is one of those concepts that requires witnesses. Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jshiver15 View Post
    You can check out a multitude of YouTube videos of guys antagonizing the staff at Planet Fitness. See also: LA Fitness.
    Wouldn't put it past my son to do that.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Ive been checking out the planet fitness thing. They don't consider themselves a gym, per say, but a fitness chain. Their market looks to be the more casual user, hence the lunk alarm, etc.

If you're a serious lifter planet fitness probably isn't for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have a strong dislike for random Brahs who walk up while you're using a machine or a bench and ask, "Hey bro are you almost done with that?"

I believe I've told this story before; it happened while I was at Osan last year. These CrossFit brozillas were doing their bullshit in the weightroom. They had put mats in almost every power rack and both squat racks, and they were doing bullshit circuit workouts. Now please remember that Osan has a dedicated CrossFit room for these fools to do this stuff in. A couple of guys, including myself, had asked them to take their workout elsewhere; they just blew us off. I did the most Alpha Male thing I could think of - I tattled on them.

The little A1C chick from the front desk came into the room and asked them to stop it; they ignored her as well. She disappears, comes back five minutes later with a rather large, black, male MSgt. The CrossFitters vacated in a quick and disorderly fashion.

I believe every Air Force gym could do with one dedicated black , angry male MSgt.